WJLA in DC to Carry RTN 7/28

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
OK not really an HD topic but I was not sure where else to put it.

WJLA hs announced that their curent digital subchannel (7-3) carrying Local point TV will switch over to RTN on 7/28.

I see...just wait until Team Riff leaves the area before making improments.:rolleyes: Seriously, that good news...just as long is doesn't impact HD PQ. The variable bitrate encoders WUSA-DT used then had 2 SD subchannels were pretty good, but high-motion live sports like NFL football suffered with various artifacts, etc.

My TiVo actually has it in the guide, thats how I noticed 7-4 first. I don't think the scan picks it up. Just tune to 7-4 and you will notice a signal there without a picture.

-John

well if it'sa swap it should not. If they are adding a 4th subchannel though your concern might be justified.

Well, that's what the Baltimore stations are for! Seriously tho, its nice being able to pick up multiple stations that way when one forgets to flip the HD switch, you can just switch over to the other. Most of the time atleast one has the programming in HD.

I wonder what will happen after Feb 2009 when analog gets shut off, will the channel just go dark when someone forgets to flip the switch since there wont be an analog SD signal to fall back on?

Just looked into this a little more. No 7-4 on any of my boxes, except the Tivo. Must be the way the Tivo has the guide data mapped. But 7-4 did briefly exist, even on the CECB's I have. So it was there, just not now.

Oh, and there is a scroller on 7-3 announcing the 7/28 date of RTN7 coming to 7-3. So I guess that date is official, and the 7/14 date I got from RTN was a mistake.

-John

It's live, and its awesome! :) Watching Knight Rider right now. Good stuff, even my wife is excited that Emergency is on! Go figure. hehe

Some shows are missing tho, like Greatest American Hero and Get Smart.

-John

Strange, WRDQ-DT2 here is RTN will probably get better ratings than new programming from other TV stations. he he

It's live, and its awesome! :) Watching Knight Rider right now. Good stuff, even my wife is excited that Emergency is on! Go figure. hehe

Some shows are missing tho, like Greatest American Hero and Get Smart.
Until recently, I was seeing Get Smart on our affiliate in Austin. I think it was on at 5:30 on weekdays if I recall correctly. I don't see it in their list of shows any more. They must have made some recent changes, because I don't see Hawaii Five-O at 9 PM on weekdays any more, either. Now they have Magnum there, when it used to air an hour earlier.

A poster at dcrtv.com - washington dc/baltimore area radio/tv/media claims that they have lost rights to a package of shows avaialable from CBS/Paramount. According to taht poster some affilaites have Leave It To beaver on 4 times aday now.

one interesting point is that the affiliates have the ability to construct their own schedule.Waht we see in DC is not necessarily what you see in Austin.

A poster at dcrtv.com - washington dc/baltimore area radio/tv/media claims that they have lost rights to a package of shows avaialable from CBS/Paramount. According to taht poster some affilaites have Leave It To beaver on 4 times aday now.

one interesting point is that the affiliates have the ability to construct their own schedule.Waht we see in DC is not necessarily what you see in Austin.
Well, the interesting thing is that the Austin affiliate *is* a subchannel of a CBS affiliate, so this would be CBS playing hardball with CBS in a manner of speaking...

Well, this channel didn't last long. Lot less than The Tube (old 54.2 and 50.2). Oh well, I'll miss these old sub-channels. It was good while it lasted!

-John

I think the channel is back on. Only off for one day. I too liked the subchannels. They just don't seem to last too long.

Yeah, its back. Different programming, tho. Anyone know what the programming schedule is now? Looks like they just tapped into a national feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)