WKBT Off of DISH Tonight

"In addition, WKBT-TV is always available free with an over-the-air antenna."

This is why I do not understand most peoples local channels disputes. The power really is in the consumers hands to help keep bills down....yet noone ever wants to do anything about it.

Isn't it all CBS afffiliates? A quick googling shows it's in Texas and Iowa and I know it's true here in Albany NY as well.

KPHO is not affected in AZ. Aren't those all Sinclair or Dispatch or Heritage stations that are going down?

This is why I do not understand most peoples local channels disputes. The power really is in the consumers hands to help keep bills down....yet noone ever wants to do anything about it.
Because most people DO NOT have antennas..And if they did, the reception is poor....
For example, I live 15 miles from the center of the city for which my local DMA is named.
The transmitters are scattered. Probably a 180* semi circle in shape. Some transmitters are as much as 40 miles away. In fact the NBC affiliate here has a weak signal. That transmitter is at a direction of 300* from my address and is 34 miles away.
Conversely, the ABC affiliate transmitter is at a direction of 25* and is just 16 miles away. It also on top of a hill and according to the FAA Flip Chart is a 2100 ft ( ASL) 1700 ft( AGL) obstruction. In other words, it's pretty darned tall. I can get that station with a piece of aluminum foil as an antenna.
The point is OTA reception for most people who do not want to make a large investment of money and or time, is at best middling.

I have a feeling that most people can get the channels they need OTA, especially during disputes without a huge investment. I am 17 miles from the tower that has OtA, and I bought a $20 antenna that gets all the locals and sub channels just fine. I can only imagine what I would get if I actually aimed a larger roof mounted antenna.

Reactions: sam_gordon
Oh I agree that they will post the blame on their provider... Again as I mentioned before is one of the bigger reasons why they keep on raising rates and getting away with it. Which is funny cause they come back around and complain about high rates(which we see at SG)

Stardust, are you in Skyline Telephone's territory? I don't know if it's available across the TN line, but
Check this out:
Stream Local Networks Live
http://www.skybesttv.com/now

I am not, centurylink is the only choice for Internet. They(skybest) are just across the mountain in Shady Valley.

That looks like a decent deal they have. Do you have to have their service?

I have their telephone and internet. They let me try the live streaming for a week, and I really liked it on Roku. PQ was decent. There is about a 2 minute lag from satellite tv, and probably 3 minutes lag from OTA, and is on my to-get list when I finally cut the cord.

Reactions: stardust3
CBS affiliates WISC-TV/3.1 (Madison) and WKBT/8.1 (La Crosse-Eau Claire) are off DISH Network amid a retransmission consent dispute, which began last Thursday. The outage affects about 23 counties in Wisconsin and two in Minnesota. The stations are owned by Morgan Murphy Media.

Part of the issue with WKBT though is the market. LaCrosse/Eau Claire market is really 2 markets put together into one. CBS is the only common station. ABC, FOX and PBS have stations in each portion of the market (but both ABC are owned by same folks).

NBC and CBS are the only 2 that don't have 2 towers. NBC is in Eau Claire and can reach LaCrosse with an outdoor antenna. LaCrosse proper has a translator of the Rochester, MN NBC in it (so they actually get 2 different CW affiliates there). WKBT is probably 25-30 miles outside of LaCrosse (north of there) to try and cover both areas.

CBS affiliates WISC-TV/3.1 (Madison) and WKBT/8.1 (La Crosse-Eau Claire) are off DISH Network amid a retransmission consent dispute, which began last Thursday. The outage affects about 23 counties in Wisconsin and two in Minnesota. The stations are owned by Morgan Murphy Media.

Also KXLY-TV, Spokane and KAPP-TV, Yakima, both ABC affiliates.

They usually believe in one or more of these arguments
1. My HOA will not allow me to put up an antenna
2. I would not get good reception this way.
3. Since the digital transition OTA antennas no longer work
4. I don't like the look of an antenna on my roof.

I'm surprised there aren't more providers offering a service like "SkyBest NOW" - are they too worried it would cannibalize existing business?

Reactions: Dah-Henny
The FCC has stated an HoA cannot deny you the right to put up an OTA legally, in a reasonable fashion. Although "reasonable" is subjective, many HOAs have lost that battle as it is then the court that will decide what is reasonable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)