Wonder how many pub members scott accumulated with this HD news

capman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
CA
I joined as a pub member to see what the gossip was all about. Strange too cause I was talking to a CSR and he was telling me the same thing. You know what else he told me that was funny? He said that the birds were already in the air and dish doesn't tell people anymore when they launched. I told him, no way, we always know when there is a launch. He told me, no man, they are testing them right now. I said yea, whatever. I think he just told me that cause I told him that direct had my hd locals already. Anywho, congrats scott on another pub member :D

That might be the case if they did their own launches. Another company handles all the launching of the satellites. I would think a successful launch by that company would make news since they've blown up some other company's birds in launch. Also, construction contracts usually get announce by the companies building the satellites.

I hope alot. There are big benefits of the Pub.
Not the least of which is the fact that pub membership contributes towards keeping the lights on here. I was a slacker for almost a year before I joined. Then the little light went on... "Are you benefiting in some way from visiting these message boards?" .... the answer was, of course, "hell yeah". So I ponied up and joined.

Just seemed a no brainer. I have no idea why I waited so long.

Not the least of which is the fact that pub membership contributes towards keeping the lights on here. I was a slacker for almost a year before I joined. Then the little light went on... "Are you benefiting in some way from visiting these message boards?" .... the answer was, of course, "hell yeah". So I ponied up and joined.

Just seemed a no brainer. I have no idea why I waited so long.

I completely agree. I "hemmed and hawed" for a good year and finally joined after reading about potential exciting news. Glad I did!! Great site!!!!!!

I am glad you guys joined and I hope others are joining for the same reasons and not just to hear rumors only. The rumors seem to come in bunches then nothing for months. Scott and others don't hype stuff that has no merit. Also, sometimes stuff just doesn't come to fruition as some rampant rumors make it seem.

Like I stated in another thread, this is the ONLY site I have ever contributed to and have continually visited for geesh, what is it, 4 years now? My donations have nothing to do rumors, but just the fun and informative nature of this site. I also rest easy knowing that Scott listens to us and responds to members. I also like knowing that I can post pretty much anything about anything and as long as it's in good taste and in the proper area I don't have to worry about it getting deleted or censored or locked.

I am glad to have all the new members and I hope they all continue to donate each year. I am one of the lucky (supporting founder) who don't have to re-up every year, but I do continue to throw $20 or so Scotts way every year cause it's just the right thing to do for what I gain from this site.

Reading the posts in this thread, I realized that I too have been a slacker for quite some time. I am on the computer once a day, and I come to this site EVERY time to see what's going on. For what I get from it, it is certainly worth the small price to support those that do so much to make it what it is. Thanks to those aforementioned folks, and thanks to you in this thread for the push to join (which I just did). Now, off to the pub to find out more...

Reading the posts in this thread, I realized that I too have been a slacker for quite some time. I am on the computer once a day, and I come to this site EVERY time to see what's going on. For what I get from it, it is certainly worth the small price to support those that do so much to make it what it is. Thanks to those aforementioned folks, and thanks to you in this thread for the push to join (which I just did). Now, off to the pub to find out more...

Thanks for helping to keep the lights on.

Remember, its a small amount -- $20 - but it has a big dividend. :)

Thank YOU for supporting Satelliteguys!!

We couldn't do what we do without our supporters. :)

Seeing that they are sending up new sats for 61.5 and 129 I think it’s easy to conclude that they will be using a lot more spots beams for HD locals and CONUS signals on those satellites. Right now 129 only has about 8 Tp's dedicated to CONUS HD coverage and they could probably consolidate some of their TP's for more national HD content so thats at least another 24 TP's for more conus or spot beams which will probably be a mix of both as most of their current TP's are conus but used for locals. It is the same situation for 61.5 currently only using 5 TP's for conus HD, the rest are locals and international coverage. Everyone knows that all intl. is moving to 118.7 so they will not need TP space for that and at the end of March they will most likely drop Sky Angel content. This gives them another 27 TP's to work with at this location. Now you can safely assume that some TP's on 61.5 and 129 will be exactly the same to make sure everyone can get new national HD content. As for the sat at 110 I have can't even guess what they will do with it.

I used the info from lyngsat to arrive to this conclusion.

Footnote. I swear I did not read the HD locals update from last night but it would seem to coincide what will be happening with what I originally posted.

Last edited:
As for the sat at 110 I have can't even guess what they will do with it.
There are threads on that.

They will use it to increase transmission power from 110, which will not only insure reception during storm events, it will also allow more channels per transponder at the same picture quality.

It will also free up a satellite currently at 110 to move elsewhere.

PS I was saying that it was 15 hours until the rumored events occur (or fail to occur) - based on E*'s usual schedule.

it will also allow more channels per transponder at the same picture quality.

I see how that would increase signal strength however would they not have to increase the number of the symbol rate, because currently they are sending 20000 with regular qpsk and 21500 with 8psk or I am misunderstanding the entire point of symbol rates.

I've been busy with looking for a new rental property for the last 3 weeks until yesterday when we finally met with the new owner of our house who will be a better landlord than the previous one. That being said tomorrow I will be renewing my membership and getting back in the pub pestering all the other pub members there. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)