working with compass

miagel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
MIAMI
Hi. :eureka

I am new in this.. I would like to point my dish 500 to eastern arc 61.5 or 72.7 or 77 but I trully don't know how to use a compass... so I use progfinder with a thiwan dvb card and says (for instance) azimuth 53 and altitud 45 (just a sample) so I don't how to set up that in the antenna..

Is the azimuth equal degree where I have to point the antenna to or I just should put the satellite degree on the compass?

Any help more than welcome... I can hire tecnichian but I like to do it for hobby. Maybe I should get some classes on how to locate satellite and point antennas.

Thanks

ME

looking at dishpointer.com, for Miami pointing to 61.5 your azimuth is 147.9 and elevation is 53.4. That means that using the compass, find north and turn the thing so that zero is directly north, you would then need to point the dish in the direction of 147.9 on the scale which should be generally between southeast and due south. The elevation scale on the dish would need to be set to around 53 degrees.

For more info about compasses,
using a compass

looking at dishpointer.com, for Miami pointing to 61.5 your azimuth is 147.9 and elevation is 53.4. That means that using the compass, find north and turn the thing so that zero is directly north, you would then need to point the dish in the direction of 147.9 on the scale which should be generally between southeast and due south. The elevation scale on the dish would need to be set to around 53 degrees.

using a compass

Thanks for the answer. I will try it tomorrow.. I will post the results.

using a compass

The site is amazing.... really interesting... helping me a lot to understand this, still I will try tomorrow and post results.

Thanks

:)

using a compass

Hi. it is me again.. I tried this link just to have an idea.. which it is really good.. Iwas able to point the antenna with the compass, but still no signal at all.

I use (as I said before) progfinder to get the signal...was wondering if I buy the digital satellite meter to get the signal and then compare to sofware and see what's wrong.

Or because I am in EA maybe I will nee to buy a D1000.4 instance of the D500 which I have now... any sugestion.. as I said before no signal at all.. sky clear, nothing in front...

Thanks...

ME:confused:

Hi. it is me again.. I tried this link just to have an idea.. which it is really good.. Iwas able to point the antenna with the compass, but still no signal at all.

I use (as I said before) progfinder to get the signal...was wondering if I buy the digital satellite meter to get the signal and then compare to sofware and see what's wrong.

Or because I am in EA maybe I will nee to buy a D1000.4 instance of the D500 which I have now... any sugestion.. as I said before no signal at all.. sky clear, nothing in front...

Thanks...

ME:confused:

It would be easier if you had a 1.k.4 Dish.
Just my 2 cents worth

If you have a dish pro plus twin lnb on the dish 500 you should be pointing it at satellites 110 and 119 instead of the eastern arc satellites. You can't use the dish 500 with a twin lnb for 772.7 and 77, but the same programing is on 110 and 119. If you're in Miami set the elevation at 41, the skew at 139, and the azimuth at 240.

You'll need to run "check switch" to switch the receiver to the dish 500 hardware and you'll have to run it every time you switch between the two dishes, but it should work fine.

If you have a dish pro plus twin lnb on the dish 500 you should be pointing it at satellites 110 and 119 instead of the eastern arc satellites. You can't use the dish 500 with a twin lnb for 772.7 and 77, but the same programing is on 110 and 119. If you're in Miami set the elevation at 41, the skew at 139, and the azimuth at 240.

You'll need to run "check switch" to switch the receiver to the dish 500 hardware and you'll have to run it every time you switch between the two dishes, but it should work fine.

Well, the only problem on this is, that my building only eastern arc available, the other site is the wall.. they don't permit dish on it so I have to put in my balcony.. only to the eastern side.. that's why I have to use these degree.

I have a dual lnbf with a D500... I know that I just can use 1 lnb because the satellite aren't 9-10 degree like to the other site (WA) ... but even though.. Why if I have my antenna well located ( I least it is what I think) for instace for 61.5 in my area... will be this..

Elevation: 53.3°
Azimuth (true): 142.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 147.7°
LNB Skew [?]: -33.7°

I have my antena at 147.7 because I am using a compass, elevation.. (I tried all degree) but I leave it on 53.3 +-, so the LNB skew.. it turn the antena so much.. that I doubt it could get any singal taht but I tried bot (0 ad -33.7 +-) no clear because the rule in the antena is not by milimiter...

I tried the 30.0 W

Elevation: 27.4°
Azimuth (true): 109.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 115.7°
LNB Skew [?]: -57.9°

This is worst... really a big confussion on orientation..

Thanks for the answer.

ME

If you're using a dual lnb on the dish 500, set the skew at 90 degrees, the elevation at 53, and the azimuth at 145 magnetic. This should be good for 61.5. Then run "check switch" and you should be able to get the one satellite.

Just remember to run check switch when you switch dishes so the receiver is set up for the hardware you're using.

dishnetwork answer

Hi guys.. it is me again.

I went to a dealer store today and they call Dishnetwork store.. regarding the eastern arc in miami.. they say that easter arc can only be west plam beach and up no in miami with a D1000.4 ... or any other antenna.. ..

Theyu also told that for hipasat on 30.0 W I can not use D500 that I need another antenna.. which antenna should I need to get Hipasat?

Thanks

ME:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts