World Series PTAT will not allow padded time thus losing end of game

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
This is similar to what happened with the OSU Penn state game.
I set up a timer to record the World Series game on FOX channel 28.
The timer was padded with an additional hour on the end.

I have a hopper with sling running the old software S531. I also have PTAT turned on for all the channels. The game was scheduled from 8 PM to 11 PM and PTAT was recorded 3 hours from 8 PM to 11 PM.

I was watching live and the red record light stopped at 11 PM. Since I was actively watching the game I hit the record button so I could record the remainder of the game.

In the future I will use the OTA channel for my timer since it will not be affected by PTAT.

Dish advanced technical support told me to turn off PTAT as a solution.

The World Series game 2 on Wednesday has been moved up to start at 7 PM due to weather. Unfortunately the Dish guide shows the game starting at 8 PM. Unless they fix the guide, a lot of Dish customers will miss the first hour of the game.

Last edited:
Why not just record the program coming on after the game to get all the game. I do this on Sunday nite on CBS. Then when Elementary is over I just watch the local CBS news that I recorded to get the end of Elementary.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Why not just record the program coming on after the game to get all the game. I do this on Sunday nite on CBS. Then when Elementary is over I just watch the local CBS news that I recorded to get the end of Elementary.
That is what I do with a CBS manual timer setup for every Sunday 10 PM CST for two hours. Sure saved me last Sunday when Elementary got cut short with PTAT.

Set a regular timer, edit with extended time and go into the schedule and unskip it. I you are short of tuners, turn off PTAT for all but one day (not a World Series day), or completely off if you don't need autoskip. Also a good way to deal with the idiocy of CBS Sunday Football messing with TV series.

Remember you still have 4 network recording on one tuner 24/7 with PTAT off.

Set a regular timer, edit with extended time and go into the schedule and unskip it. I you are short of tuners, turn off PTAT for all but one day (not a World Series day), or completely off if you don't need autoskip. Also a good way to deal with the idiocy of CBS Sunday Football messing with TV series.

Remember you still have 4 network recording on one tuner 24/7 with PTAT off.
I finally moved my one day only PTAT timer from Sunday to Friday. Seldom anything worth watching on Friday night anyway but almost always some reason to watch Sunday night.

Jerry, Charles, and Pat's solutions will all work to allow you to finish viewing the missing last part. However, I want to archive the World Series Games. By using an OTA timer I can pad the front and the back of the timer and the timer will have the correct name and information. Remember that tonight the game is starting at 7 PM due to weather. A timer created with the guide or the game finder app will miss the first hour of the game. Thus I have padded my OTA timer to start 60 minutes early. Since I have 2 hopper with sling receivers, I experimented by creating a timer on my second unit with PTAT channel. I edited that timer to start 1 hour early. I will see what happens with this tonight and I will report my results to everyone.

I called Dish technical support and warned them about the problem that will occur tonight. She claimed that there was nothing that they could do since they are not responsible for network programming changes. I would hate to be a Dish CSR tomorrow when customers call to complain that their recording is missing the beginning of game 2.

I guess my call to Dish was acted on. The guide has now been updated with PTAT starting at 7 PM. Thus everyone will see the game.

You can archive the recordings from the edited timers that I described. PTAT is not a good solution to be sure of recording the entire game.

The World Series game 2 on Wednesday has been moved up to start at 7 PM due to weather. Unfortunately the Dish guide shows the game starting at 8 PM. Unless they fix the guide, a lot of Dish customers will miss the first hour of the game.

Jeez, the official announcement was only 4 hours before you posted and I see DISH indeed has the update while my neighbor with Brighthouse and my TIVO Still has 8pm as does Titan TV online as I post this. Ditto Tv Guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)