Worldsport ... what the hell was that?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kickor

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Wilmington, NC
There was some sort of sport/game on today with Iran vs. Malaysia - it looked like extreme "red rover", a mixture of tag and ... I don't know what. Weirdest sport I've ever seen.

It's called Kabbadi. Never heard of it before. Really stupid. They have to actually chant the word "kabbadi" over and over as they attempt to tag members of the opposing team. The way these guys were prancing around I thought I was on Divine for a second :)

One guy had to be carried out on a stretcher because he twisted his ankle doing a celebratory dance after a point. Hilarious! The best part though was the sarcastic commentary. "This is a 5000 year old sport. The Iranians are relative newcomers, having played for only the last 1000 years. They've come a long way in such a short time."

This program was a train wreck, sure, but one you could at least laugh at.

Mocking a culture is not nice. It does not matter how ridiculous it may look to some of us. I am sure that some of us would be offended if they mock NFL Football or any American Sport the same way. To us it may look ridiculous and without any logic, to them is part of their culture and history.

barth2k said:
it's a freaking embarrassment. it's almost like a SNL skit.
was Ben Stiller on one of those teams? I think after "dodgeball" that might be the theme of his next movie. LMAO. IT was crap. Period! I was laughing after 5 minutes

At least sean's comment made sense.

Just because we don't play it in america doesn't mean it isn't a sport.

Heck, I used to play kabbadi back in the days. It's not as easy as it looks. (no matter how ridiculous it looks)

Hands off my Kabbadi!

Perhaps those not liking the new "sport" would be more happier with NBC's complete Olympic monocoverage of floor gymnastics or ice skating... I for one support the attempt at showing us that there is more than a handfull of sports out there (o.k. so its a stretch calling Kabbadi a sport). Most Amercians probably aren't aware of the several dozen different sports going on during the Olymipcs (besides said gymnastics or ice skating). granted kabbadi isn't worth more than 1/2 hour coverage, Kudos to VOOM for trying to show something out of the ordinary. If you don't like it - change the channel - I know I do during golf - now there's a "sport" to watch on TV...

To those who complained about Kabbadi. Who forced you to watch it. Turn the channel. Other countries may think baseball is a riot with all the scratching and spitting
plus it's 4 balls to walk and only 3 strikes and you're out. (matter of fact forget asking other countries - my wife thinks it's funny) Ever hear the Bob Newhart monologue on Abner Doubleday inventing baseball?? Tolerance, please.

Kentstater72 said:
As a first generation Scottish-American I am offended.

Didn't say I didn't like to play it! Especially the "beer-a-hole" on the back nine game... My score readily improves to where I don't even need to keep score by the 18th... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)