Worst blizzards you can remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I know it's already summertime, but I saw an episode of "Wrath of God" on the History Channel about blizzards, and it really got me going.

Considering that I used to live in Buffalo and now live in Wisconsin (Moved in 1994 w/my family), I know a lot about bad blizzards.

What are some of the worst blizzards you can recall?

Blizzard of 1993 41" of snow in 36 hours Living in Tobyhanna Pa at the time. We had 50 and 60 MPH wind gusts ,lightning and thunder. School was closed for 10 days. It was awesome!

recently? the blizzard in April in Duluth

lived through? Blizzard in Duluth of 01....36 inches of snow in 22 hours
also the Halloweenie blizzard in 91 here in Minneapolis

Winter 1995-1996, Houghton MI, 90 inches of snow in 3 days. Got so cold, the driver side mirror on my truck just fell off (the mirror fell out of the housing).

I think the worst one that many recall from this area (SW Michigan) is 1977 or 1978

The weirdest snow storm I remember was in June or July sometime in the early 90's, in Northern Lower Peninsula of MI. Got a couple inches of heavy wet snow at sunset.

Southern Michigan around Detroit region 1976 roughly 4ft of snow if I remember correctly ( I was a kid then ).

New years eve / day 98/99 same place 2 - 3 ft of snow paralyzed the area and led to the resignation of Detroit mayor Dennis Archer. Funny thing is is I made it to work driving an 86 mazda 626 while the other guys in lifted 4x4's couldnt get out of their drive ways.

December 9/10 2002 heavy wet snow that turned to ice and about a foot and half to 2 ft, it was one of the few times that dish shut down though I had been on the road before they decided to do it. It took me 2 hours to drive what was normaly a 30 min drive just to get home.

Almost forgot, this was an 8 hour white out that skirted southern Michigan and northern Ohio April 4 2003, I was working in the area from Camden to Liberty corners. This was a total white out and I couldnt see more than 10ft past the front of my van most of the time. I radioed into the shop and told them repeatedly over the next several hours that I couldnt go any faster than 10mph and most of the time didnt know if I was on a road or in a corn field, they didnt believe me because it wasnt snowing where they were 50 miles north so I had all my jobs that day, needless to say it was a very very long day.

Chicago area, January 1967. Went to bed that night with weather folks saying some flurries and partly cloudy, ended up with 28" of snow. Since nobody was expecting it roads were a total mess.

For the most part they are not all really considered blizzards so I'm not sure how to answer. But..... the worst snow storm as far as inches/feet would have to be.....

Christmas 2001 we ended up with 7 feet of snow in 3 days in Buffalo.

I know it's already summertime, but I saw an episode of "Wrath of God" on the History Channel about blizzards, and it really got me going.

Considering that I used to live in Buffalo and now live in Wisconsin (Moved in 1994 w/my family), I know a lot about bad blizzards.

What are some of the worst blizzards you can recall?

If you moved in 94 you should remember the 7 feet in 91

If you moved in 94 you should remember the 7 feet in 91

Don't remind me of that.

Luckily, there were many things that got me through that:

The Sabres acquired Pat LaFontaine

Step By Step's first season (I adored Karen)

NBA, NFL, NCAA Football/Bowl Season

Worst Blizzard?

I think I ordered one with snickers swirled in and got butterfinger by mistake.

The only blizzard I've ever seen came from the Dairy Queen.

1966 Oswego, NY, 102" snow over 4 days, winds off the lake 60mph and higher, drifts were over entire 2 story homes.
It took nearby Syracuse about a 2 or 3 weeks to clear all the side streets.
I remember it because it started on my wife's birthday and we were seniors in high school and got about 10 days off.

Octobrr 15, 1997 Colorado - 4 ft. of snow & 14 ft. snowdrifts

It wasn't the worst for the state but it was for me as I was trapped on Pena Blvd on the way home from Denver International. It took me 36 hours to go 30 miles.

What really sucked was I had come home just for the weekend and could have stayed in Phoenix.

One time, around Christmas, it snowed like 3 INCHES here! Man, what a Blizzard! Had to use a dog team and sled to make it out...brutal. ;):cool::D

For me, it was (and has to be) the Blizzard of 1993. It has to be that particular blizzard because it was the only one I have ever went through. It was here in Northeast Georgia and I think we got around 26 inches of snow within about a day and a half. :) We were out of school for five days and, immediately following that was Spring Break. However, we would have been out during Spring Break as well with the power being restored, etc. After the ten workdays, it got cold again here in town causing the school water lines to ice up. :) It was awesome!!! We have recently started seeing some pretty nice storms through the winter again. If you can't tell, I'm a cold weather person. I LOVE the winter predictions that Georgia Tech just released for my area. :)

Worst Blizzard?

I think I ordered one with snickers swirled in and got butterfinger by mistake.

The only blizzard I've ever seen came from the Dairy Queen.

:D If I tell them I want Snickers or Butterfinger, THEY WILL PUT THE ALTERNATE in my Blizzard. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)