Worst contracts in sports history

That's funny you brought this subject up Sabres, because Mike and Mike were talking about this very subject on their radio show this morning!

They said that Buster Olney considered the Tigers/Marlins trade of Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera for a package of 6 prospects quite possibly the worst trade ever! At the time, this was considered a huge trade that would put the Tigers in position to be one of the favorites to contend for a World Series.

Just last month, Cabrera signed an eight-year, $153.3 million contract extension. Cabrera is batting .278 with 8 home runs so far with the Tigers. A far cry from the .320, .339 and .323 batting average and 34, 26 and 33 home runs in which he had for the Marlins the previous 3 years. Considering Cabrera's now one of the richest guys in baseball, I would think a lot more is expected of him.

Willis is signed through 2010 and will earn between $29-$30 million. Willis never had any resemblance of success so far with the Tigers. He's pitched in 4 games for the Tigers this year and walked 21 batters in 11 1/3 innings, while compiling a lofty 10.32 ERA. To his defense, the bad start may partially be due to his stint on the DL, but this lack of production recently got Willis sent down to the Minors. Detroit's single A affiliate to be exact!

We will find out more in the future (obviously) as to which team benefited or got hurt more. But in shear money spent and performance in return, at this point, I may actually have to agree with Olney.

Not sure, but I believe your numbers to be about 10M too high. I think it was a 3 yr. extension in the neighborhood of 21M. At any rate, too early to call that one a bust yet.
I will give you a bullet the Tigers did dodge though - Juan Gonzalez turned down a 140M contract (7 yr.) offered to him by the Tigers, back when we opened the new stadium. Whew, close one there.

As a Rockies fan, Mike Hampton comes immediately to mind. As well as Denny Neagle who amounted to squat, and is now out of the league.

Jerome "Big Snacks" James gets $5 million a year to sit on his ass at the end of the bench and do nothing, get fat, get phat, and stay out of shape!

This won't seem big now because of the different scale of salaries, but when free agency first started in baseball, the Indians' signing of Wayne Garland in 1977 turned out to be the first huge bust signing in free agent history. The perennial bottom-feeders were trying to make a big splash, but it backfired.

From Wikipedia:

"Garland's best season came in 1976 when he posted a won-loss record of 20-7 [with Baltimore]. He signed a 10-year, $2.3 million contract with the Indians as a free agent prior to the 1977 season (which was the first season of large-scale free agency in Major League Baseball). However, he failed to reach the heights of his 1976 season, going on to record a 28-48 win-loss record with Cleveland, being waived five years into the deal after the 1981 season. He later served as a minor league manager."

The Red Sox had one in the early days of free agency, also. Does anybody remember Skip Lockwood? B-U-S-T

Vin Baker was a non-performer for the Celtics.

Poor Jack Clark wound up broke because he has trouble with big numbers. He didn't understand the difference between $9 million dollars and infinity, so no matter what his agent and financial managers told him to not do, he did it anyway because he thought he was making enough money to do whatever he wanted. The first time I saw Clark play for the Red Sox, he hit a home run that I feared was going to put a hole in the guy in the stands who tried to catch it, but it was all downhill from therre.

The worst contracts, from a team perspective, are contracts that stay on the books due to salary cap rules, like the Allen Houston contract. Vin Baker similarly put a $6 million a year anchor on the Celtics for several years.

When someone gets injured after signing a big contract, there's no use crying over spilled milk. The team couldn't reasonably have predicted the person would get injured, like Albert Belle.

Whatever Sidney Ponson got paid was too much, and ditto for Carl Pavano. One promising season does not a career make.

Nearly every year, the New York Knicks give some has-been a $5 million a year, multiyear contract under the mid-level exception, that left them with ten guys getting over $5 million a year when most teams only had three, yet nearly all of those players were useless. They had a salary cap figure of $120,000,000 last year when the cap was under $60,000,000, but you wouldn't take on the contracts of maybe ten out of twelve of those players even if you didn't have to give up anyone to complete the deal.

Wow. Theres such a huge pool to choose from....

I'm not sure about the exact $$$ and years on these, but:

Barry Zito with the Giants
Jason Giambi with the Yankees

....to name a few

HA HA!!! Well being an Oakland A'S fan these moves at the time made me mad!! I now however am very happy!!:clap:clap:clap

This should make for some lively debate.

What are the worst contracts in sports history you can recall?

Here are the criteria I'm looking for:

-Splashy signing

-Big bucks

-Team doesn' do well/underachieves

-Player doesn't perform well

Alex Rodriguez's 10 year, 252 million deal with Texas won't count- he didn't exactly hit below the Mendoza Line with the Rangers...
During the early days of free agency there was a second baseman named Rennie Stennett that was awarded a million dollar plus contract with the Giants and in two seasons and 158 games proceeded to hit .240. This after having a pretty good career with a lifetime .280 avg. Not ever mistaken as a slick fielder, Stennnett kicked the ball around at SS making 15 errors in about 100 games.

Wow. Theres such a huge pool to choose from....

I'm not sure about the exact $$$ and years on these, but:

Barry Zito with the Giants
Mike Hampton with the Rockies
Darren Dreifort with the Dodgers
Jason Giambi with the Yankees

....to name a few
Mike Hampton with anybody....If somebody farts within 100 miles of this guy , he ends up on the DL..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)