Worst Dish Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

str8poolbanger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Johnstown, PA
OK...So I show up at the customers house for a service call with the work order marked "problem with cableing". I ring the doorbell and the lady answers and says ahh Directv!!!! She spoke broken english, so try to imagine this coming out accented. Dish, flopping in wind around back house. I tell her I'll look at it and see what I can do. I walk around the back of the house and the following links are what I see.

Me and my employee laughed so hard our jaws hurt. :) :)

http://www.boost-unlocking.com/pics/

Pics are in Folder Labeled HAHA Dish

Last edited:
Old Primestar dish mount. The installer just removed the pan and attempted to bolt the mounting foot of the small foot to the dish protractor. The holes don't line up.

All he needed was a $7 pole adapter.

Yeah, I didnt have the adapter on my truck. And I offered to move the dish to the roof but she said No Picture on roof. So another tech is going back out tomorrow. Hopefully he remembers to bring the adapter.

I have a couple thta's been in my truck for three years. Nothing works as easy ay one simple item.

The tool or part that you really need seems to be the one you left at the shop.

The Tate said:
Self tapping screws will do the same thing.

Don't you mean sell drilling and threading screws?

Self tapping screws are sheet metal screws that usually require predrilling, unless used with thin sheet metal.

self tapping into the plate that is there now. SELF TAPPING they do not need predrilling cause they are notched at the end for it. you can go into sch 40 pipe with them.

I have actually seen it done many times and works great.

I ran up on one that was worse. It was so bad that I immediately called the boss and said "WTF!?!?!? I'm not touching it!" It was a walmart dish network self install. The foot was nailed---NAILED to some old rotten fascia board. It wasn't plumb. They had the RG59 that came with the box going from the LNB to ---it was stripped on the other end---a piece of flat 300 ohm twin lead.

My work order was to install a "must carry" second dish for the locals. I told the boss no way was I touching this job (dish makes us warranty it if we service it). I have NO sympathy for anybody who declines a free pro install to DIY, and I WILL NOT reinstall these. Screw 'em!

Anyway, the boss got dish to waive that and the account was noted that I would only warranty the 2nd dish installation up to the DP21. The second dish was mounted around the side of the house where I could ground it, and I very carefully removed that LNB and removed that RG59, ran an RG6 to the switch and then hooked up their rigging to it.

The contraption passed the check switch, and it had a decent signal, too.

Its bad enough having to go behind other installers without having to deal with customer's abortions, too.

I've seen a lot of bad installs but the worst one was a C-Band dish. It was a 10' dish on a 17' pole. The pole was in a trash can full of concrete on a sidewalk next to the house and the only thing holding it to the house had been a piece of plumbing strap nailed into the eave. The nails weren't even into the studs, just the facia board. The dish had fallen over onto the neighbor's roof. The guy actually asked me if I would get up on his neighbor's roof and push the dish back over before the neighbor got home! I told him he'd better call the guy who did the install because I wasn't about to touch it. I don't know how some of these guys sleep at night.

This could be done right with self-tapping screws; that's what we used to use when I did conversions.

The Tate said:
Self tapping screws will do the same thing.

The self drilling screws have a drill bit fluked tip in them. They are self aligning and every one you put in creates a connection that has no side movement.

Very few places carry the #14 x 20 threads per inch self drilling and thread cutting screw. Most carry them with 14 threads per inch.

This is the best one out there;

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId=1611589726

I've used them with a Makita impact driver to fasten satellite mounting bases to 1/2 inch thick "I" beams. The nice thing is that, you can remove the screw and replace it with a standard 1/4"x20 standard hex bolt. With thinner materials, this is helpful, since you can add a nut behind it for critical applications.

Too bad that Graingers has discontinued carring them.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)