Worst Product of the year?

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Last edited:
He's half right. Prices are too high, but blockbuster and others are making rentals available at normal prices now. Local BB has reasonable selection of the mainline stuff.

The right part is that I have pretty much stopped buying DVDs, but I think hard before plunking down $30 for the BR. My disc buying is way down the last 6 months.

I stopped buy BR discs. The $25-30 is just to much. We got netflix for the streaming to the 360 and just rent BR movies from them now.

Only thing I agree with is the media prices. Now that online renting is stocked up and GOOD players are under $250, its a joy.

If you buy your movies at BBuy or other B&M's at full price, as opposed to Amazon/Ebay, its your own dumb arse fault.

Only thing I agree with is the media prices. Now that online renting is stocked up and GOOD players are under $250, its a joy.

If you buy your movies at BBuy or other B&M's at full price, as opposed to Amazon/Ebay, its your own dumb arse fault.

Yep, but you are trading off cost for immediate gratification. Amazon prices are still too high as well. If I have to wait, I don't want to think about the price. For example, Dark Knight is $24 from Amazon and was $27 from Target. Worth the $3 to get it now, if I was willing to pay that much in the first place (I was in this case)

Even Amazon is too high. I paid 26 dollars delivered for The Dark Night. It needs to get down to 20 if BluRay is going to succeed IMO. And this 3 for 2 nonsense aint gonna convince people to leave DVD. gee whiz I can get 3 sucky movies from some limited collection for 60 dollars? No thanks.

Yet the DK broke BR sales records. Do you really expect them to drop the price that much? Im not defending it (because I pretty much only buy off ebay now), Im just saying.

Yet the DK broke BR sales records. Do you really expect them to drop the price that much? Im not defending it (because I pretty much only buy off ebay now), Im just saying.

But with eBay you are taking a riskier approach to problems. You may have a reputable source you shop with, but overall even those sources can change overnight.

Amazon is built on a solid reputation, good return policy, and that is where the premium comes in. Target, even more so, plus the B&M presence.

Hey, I shop eBay myself, although less since the last round of changes. That's kind of what I am talking about. The changes forced on the sellers has changed the policies of the people I regularly deal with and in a coouple of cases, they have left eBay and gone indepenmdent.

I stopped buying BDs in the B&Ms. That's not a permanent decision, but at BB for example it seems like prices have gone up if anything (i.e., fewer sales)! I might still get some at Amazon (I pay nothing additional for tax and shipping, so that's a 10-15% savings right there even if base priced the same) and similar sources for the short term. I still believe prices will start to plummet soon, probably in early '09, and I can certainly wait to see if I'm right. After all, I still have about 30 "red" titles still in their wrappers I accummulated en masse during the fire sales!

(In VHS days I was a big time renter, but never really did that once I switched to DVD, preferring to buy instead as many others did. D/Ling is still not an option for me...)

EDIT: Well I just loaded-up at Amazon, 7 titles for $139.93 shipped including DK ($24). So the average is $20 ea. That seems to be my magic threshold as well. Also got Rush S&A, KB2, Cars and Rattatouille. Should have them all by Tue., plenty of time for the extended break I'll be on...

PS - I also noticed they have that SR-12 HandiCam I'm looking at for $849 new. Was $1,100 last time I checked - falling like a rock. Whoo Hoo...!

Last edited:
Even Amazon is too high. I paid 26 dollars delivered for The Dark Night. It needs to get down to 20 if BluRay is going to succeed IMO. And this 3 for 2 nonsense aint gonna convince people to leave DVD. gee whiz I can get 3 sucky movies from some limited collection for 60 dollars? No thanks.

I've always wondered why people say it has to be $20, though... if you go into any store today, DVD's are $20 if they are less than 6 months old, unless they are on sale.

I don't think expecting them to be the same price as DVD is reasonable, but I would definitely think that $25 as a "normal" price (as opposed to $30 or $35) would be...

I buy the must haves (TDK, Iron Man, and for me... Rush: Snakes and Arrows Live) and nothing else, not even on DVD like I used to. Don't even browse the uber cheap sales/bins of DVDs at Wal-Mart anymore.

The end result is Blu-Ray proponents and supporters will use tentpole releases as a barometer of success and studios will be discouraged/disappointed by sagging DVD and Blu-Ray catalog and non-AAA releases.

Their example is a good one... Step Brothers. My reluctance to buy any more DVDs has prevented me from picking up a movie I wanted to see in the theater but didn't get a chance to, but im not going to pay $20+ for it on Blu-Ray... so not getting it at all.

The only movies I see any point in buying are those that are part of a franchise I'm into, like the latest Batman movies. I know I'll rewatch them before the next movie in the series is released in theaters. Otherwise, I don't rewatch most movies enough to justify owning over renting.

Their example is a good one... Step Brothers. My reluctance to buy any more DVDs has prevented me from picking up a movie I wanted to see in the theater but didn't get a chance to, but im not going to pay $20+ for it on Blu-Ray... so not getting it at all.

Good point. And since BR is relying heavily on the blockbusters, the lesser stuff isn't showing up in the rental bins either. I don't go to the movies often anymore, and I only get a few minutes at BB to pick up something, so I gravitate to the BR section. That means I am likely missing a lot of stuff that I would normally rent as well.

My wife called me from the store the other day and asked about Whorton or some movie, said it was animated and blue ray was $30 and DVD was 15, I said it was for the kids and they could care less what it looked like, so she got the DVD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts