Worst Sports Years As A Fan You Can Recall

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
This is a topic that I had on DBSForums, and I'd like to bring it up on here.

As a sports fan, what do you consider some of the worst years as a sports fan you can recall?

Here are three of my not-so-favorite years:

2003- While both the major collegiate champions (Ohio State, Syracuse) had intrigue and a feel-good element (Buckeyes upset Miami as a huge underdog in a thrilling title game, Jim Boeheim finally wins a title), the NFL had a brash and cocky Super Bowl winner (Buccaneers) and the MLB had a loveable Cinderella in the Marlins, you couldn't find much interest in my major sports of interest: hockey and basketball.

Arguably, the most boring teams in each of those sports (Spurs, Devils) won championships in incredibly dull fashion that nobody wanted to watch at a time when interest was very low; by that time, it was clear that Martin Brodeur and Tim Duncan were killing intrique and any reason-to-care in their respective sports (This was pre-lockout NHL, when offense was horrifically low)

Also, my Sabres teetered near bankruptcy and extinction with a terrible team, and my A's found ANOTHER way to gag in the postseason.

1995- A couple of all-time dominant power maintained their greatness (UCLA Basketball. 49ers) and a mighty powerhouse finally won the big one (Braves), but it was in my major sports of interest that again left me feeling ill.

The trap-happy, Jacques Lemaire-coached, and unbelievably BORING Devils won a Stanley Cup by sweeping Detroit and basically setting up a near-decade of horribly boring hockey.

Also, a mediocre Rockets team basically sold their soul to win a fluke championship. Heart of a champion, my ass! (Before Duncan and the Spurs, the Rockets were the team I couldn't stand, and I hated Hakeem the Dream more than any other player before Duncan joined the NBA)

2005- Also a not-so-good year for me- at least for part of it, but that first part was so painful for me.

To recap: I had to sit through another soulless and hard-to-get-interested-in Patriots Super Bowl season that ruined what was a great 2004 season, no NHL because of the lockout, and, worst of all, a Spurs/Pistons final! (I boycotted that series and did not watch a second)

However, things got better in the fall- 2005 had an amazing college football season, the NHL did return (my Sabres REALLY tore it up for a while) and the White Sox won the World Series with A's castoff Jermaine Dye reviving his career (Dye was my favorite AthleticBTW)

1994 for baseball. I think that's the year they had the strike and there was no World Series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)