Sports Apps: MBL/ Bally Sports

Clarbear

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 21, 2018
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hello all. I have questions about MBL & Bally Sports Apps.

My first questions is why can't I watch Milwaukee Brewers games on my mlb app even when they are on the road? The only time that I can see them is when they are archived after each game.

My next question is is it worth getting Bally Sports app even though that I heard they are having problems money wise and might go off due to money issues?

My first questions is why can't I watch Milwaukee Brewers games on my mlb app even when they are on the road? The only time that I can see them is when they are archived after each game.
(Assuming you are in the Brewers market)

You misunderstand what the purpose of mlb.tv and "blackouts" are for. It has nothing to do with the team being at home or away. Blackouts to protect the live gate have gone the way of the dodo bird long ago. The only remaining on, AFAIK, is for the Indy 500.

The local baseball team's games are hyper valuable. Generally the single most watched thing on TV, every night, all season. Out of town teams' baseball games are not very valuable. mlb.tv is a package of OUT OF TOWN baseball teams' games. That is why it is so inexpensive. It is made up of things that are not that valuable.
My next question is is it worth getting Bally Sports app even though that I heard they are having problems money wise and might go off due to money issues?
The Bally Sport app has a la carte rights to the Brewers, and the other Milwaukee teams. Its $180 year.

Reactions: Clarbear
Hello all. I have questions about MBL & Bally Sports Apps.

Sam pretty much answered this, I will add, I am from Michigan who now lives in Florida, so I have had it to watch the Tigers here, but if I still lived in Michigan, I would need to have the RSN, either the streaming service or via Cable/DirecTV/Fubo.
They are dead service walking, cannot get the streaming rights to the majority of MLB Teams, cannot reduce rights fees, cannot team with anyone for gambling, Cable/Sat continues to lose millions every year, so loss of per sub fees, the 3 major providers (Comcast/DirecTV contract is up this year, Charter in Feb.2024) are all saying they want a reduction in per sub fees, streaming service has less then 300,000 subscribers, that is total, not per market.

Lastly, cannot figure out a plan to come out of Chapter 11 and be a profitable company, just asked for a 120 day extension for that.

(Assuming you are in the Brewers market)

You misunderstand what the purpose of mlb.tv and "blackouts" are for. It has nothing to do with the team being at home or away. Blackouts to protect the live gate have gone the way of the dodo bird long ago. The only remaining on, AFAIK, is for the Indy 500.
WHAT?!?! o_O

link

I had no idea that was a thing. That is cruel. I mean, if you live next to the place, okay, getting their on foot is easy. But leaving the Speedway with over 300k there as the only way to see it if you are local? /derail (sorry)

I don't live in Indianapolis, but I do follow Indy Car. I do not understand the local blackout, which as I said AFAIK is the last one in sports with the purpose of protecting the live gate. Technology will probably moot the point, if it hasn't already, but I do not think the live gate will suffer from local TV coverage.

Thank you everyone for the information and I appreciate it. I just wish that MLB would lower the fees so some of the streaming services would be able to be at least help them can turn some kind of profit.

One other thing that I want to ask is if there a way for them to televise to help them some of the money to help them. Like things like high school sports, minor league sports like Milwaukee Milkmen, the Wave, Admirals of starters. At least retelvise by the following day when the major sports are playing.

Can you pay Bally Sports for your local team to get them streaming?
It depends. Bally's has to right to sell the app "a la carte" in Detroit, Miami, Tampa, Kansas City, and Milwaukee.

In the other Bally's markets (Cleveland, St. Louis, Twin Cities, Cincinnati, Los Angeles (Angels), Atlanta, and DFW) you need to be a subscriber to a traditional linear TV provider bundle for the app to work.

Different mixes of the same answer for NBA and NHL.

It depends. Bally's has to right to sell the app "a la carte" in Detroit, Miami, Tampa, Kansas City, and Milwaukee.

In the other Bally's markets (Cleveland, St. Louis, Twin Cities, Cincinnati, Los Angeles (Angels), Atlanta, and DFW) you need to be a subscriber to a traditional linear TV provider bundle for the app to work.

Different mixes of the same answer for NBA and NHL.
I live in Northwest Ohio and get the Indians and the Reds thru Bally Sports Ohio. Thru my cable company. Be advised that Bally Sports if you didn't know is in bankruptcy. Right now, they are dropping teams and MLB is picking up the teams they drop.

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts