NBC contemplating DTV regional sports on Peacock?

Now..you use your cable credentials...in the future it will be like netflix or peacock
I suspect you've lost sight of the original challenge: to get CSN Philly outside of a Comcast Philly account.

Authentication (using your cable credentials) implies that your (v)MPVD TV subscription (assuming that you have one) includes CSN Philly. I'm reasonably certain that anything outside of a Comcast Philly account (or maybe a Cox Philly account if such a thing exists) won't get you CSN Philly. How does changing your IP address by using a VPN service address that problem in response to that challenge?

For example, if I were to subscribe to my local Comcast TV offering, my RSNs would include ROOT Northwest, Pac-12 and NBC Sports Northwest. I'm fairly confident (though I can't test it) what is available to me wouldn't change to a different market if I simply changed my IP address. I would guess that the chances are better that I wouldn't get any RSNs at all if I were to use a Philly IP address.

I suspect you've lost sight of the original challenge: to get CSN Philly outside of a Comcast Philly account.

Authentication (using your cable credentials) implies that your (v)MPVD TV subscription (assuming that you have one) includes CSN Philly. I'm reasonably certain that anything outside of a Comcast Philly account (or maybe a Cox Philly account if such a thing exists) won't get you CSN Philly. How does changing your IP address by using a VPN service address that problem in response to that challenge?

For example, if I were to subscribe to my local Comcast TV offering, my RSNs would include ROOT Northwest, Pac-12 and NBC Sports Northwest. I'm fairly confident (though I can't test it) what is available to me wouldn't change to a different market if I simply changed my IP address. I would guess that the chances are better that I wouldn't get any RSNs at all if I were to use a Philly IP address.
You have absolutly no idea what you are talking about...the original philly comcast sports channel was on microwave dustribution...any cable company in the philly area could carry the philly sports channel...because it was on microwave..they could exclude it from directv

Fast forward to today....ANY subscriber to a cable company that carries the philadelphia sports channel has access to their sports app...its really that simple
In the future...you will buy sports thru peacock or whatever app they use..they will let anyone who lives in the region have it...no comcast ip required...no provider required...so simply VPN into philly or whatever sports area carried by peacock and enjoy your sports

ANY subscriber to a cable company that carries the philadelphia sports channel has access to their sports app...its really that simple.
The catastrophic failure in your reasoning is that Comcast doesn't typically grant access to NBCSN Philly or NBCSN Boston (and others) to other MVPDs (other than Cox). This was the motivation behind the microwave (and ultimately fiber) conversion that you spoke of.

Peacock doesn't include NBCSNs and may be location locked so that's not an avenue. Peacock recognized my Surfshark IP address as a VPN address so I was denied access to their "channels".

According to thestreamable.com, my streaming options are Fubo, Hulu and YouTube TV. Both Fubo and YouTube TV are location locked leaving Hulu (NOT Live) as my only option that wouldn't necessarily screw me out of my local RSNs. Hulu + Live is also location locked.

If you can offer a configuration that will actually work, I'm sure someone would be interested.

The catastrophic failure in your reasoning is that Comcast doesn't typically grant access to NBCSN Philly or NBCSN Boston (and others) to other MVPDs (other than Cox). This was the motivation behind the microwave (and ultimately fiber) conversion that you spoke of.

Peacock doesn't include NBCSNs and may be location locked so that's not an avenue. Peacock recognized my Surfshark IP address as a VPN address so I was denied access to their "channels".

According to thestreamable.com, my streaming options are Fubo, Hulu and YouTube TV. Both Fubo and YouTube TV are location locked leaving Hulu (NOT Live) as my only option that wouldn't necessarily screw me out of my local RSNs. Hulu + Live is also location locked.

If you can offer a configuration that will actually work, I'm sure someone would be interested.
Again you have no idea what you are talking about

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20220205-200512_79001764458143.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20220205-200512_79001764458143.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 107
Ever hear of the super stations?

Wpix,wsbk,wwor,wgn...the list goes on..they all had every baseball, hockey and basketball game...but you needed to live near the city the team played in until satellite and cabletv
The "super stations" were a loophole, which has since been closed. They were, of course, a disaster for the other teams, particularly the small market teams.

But the rest of the teams NEVER showed "all" the games. Only a handful.

The challenge for baseball is to find a way that there can be no access to mlb.tv without first paying for the local games and to find a way (if one exists) to yield the huge revenue the RSNs did for the local teams.

Reactions: AZ.
So services do exist outside of Comcast (and apparently Cox isn't in the mix). Visiting rcn.com takes me to the Astound website and their regional offering, WAVE Broadband. Astound is a company owned by TPG (of DIRECTV fame) that is a conglomeration of WAVE Broadband (West Coast), RCN (New York, Boston, Eastern Pennsylvania, DC and LA) and Grande Communications (north interior California?). In my location, I see the WAVE Broadband TV services that are location locked to my subscription. The RSNs available to me are ROOT Northwest and NBCSN Northwest.

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that "Verizon" means Verizon FIOS. That's not available to me (nor is Frontier FIOS).

To actually support your claim, pick a random location in the US (not including Philadelphia or the surrounding area). How would someone who lived there go about subscribing to one of those services such that you could authenticate for NBCSN Philly?

Interesting side note: TPG is reportedly looking to unload Astound.

IIRC (it has been quite a while), WTBS carried a lot of Braves games leading to Ted Turner declaring them as "America's Team" in the mid-1980s. It was absolutely an exception.

The "super stations" were a loophole, which has since been closed. They were, of course, a disaster for the other teams, particularly the small market teams.

The challenge for baseball is to find a way that there can be no access to mlb.tv without first paying for the local games and to find a way (if one exists) to yield the huge revenue the RSNs did for the local teams.
Supersrations just stopped carrying sports and became worthless..i don't know how old you are..but I guess you never watched baseball before cable...every game was on the radio. And most were on the local independent tv station...there were far fewer major league teams in the 70s..all had local tv contracts...plus you had NBC game of the week on saturday afternoon. .
So services do exist outside of Comcast (and apparently Cox isn't in the mix). Visiting rcn.com takes me to the Astound website and their regional offering, WAVE Broadband. Astound is a company owned by TPG (of DIRECTV fame) that is a conglomeration of WAVE Broadband (West Coast), RCN (New York, Boston, Eastern Pennsylvania, DC and LA) and Grande Communications (north interior California?). In my location, I see the WAVE Broadband TV services that are location locked to my subscription. The RSNs available to me are ROOT Northwest and NBCSN Northwest.

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that "Verizon" means Verizon FIOS. That's not available to me (nor is Frontier FIOS).

To actually support your claim, pick a random location in the US (not including Philadelphia or the surrounding area). How would someone who lived there go about subscribing to one of those services such that you could authenticate for NBCSN Philly?

Interesting side note: TPG is reportedly looking to unload Astound.
I just posted verizon and rcn...service electric is a third

Reactions: AZ.
I just posted verizon and rcn...service electric is a third
I admit that there are a few regional exceptions.

The idea isn't what you can get if you live in or around Philadelphia. Subscribing to a Pennsylvania MVPD surely isn't trivial (or economical) if you don't live in their service area.

Remember that your assertion was that all one needed was to VPN in to the market.

I admit that there are a few regional exceptions.

The idea isn't what you can get if you live in or around Philadelphia. Subscribing to a Pennsylvania MVPD surely isn't trivial (or economical) if you don't live in their service area.

Remember that your assertion was that all one needed was to VPN in to the market.
Comcast owns most of the cable systems around philly..
Thats were it all began

They allow verizon fios access and any outlying cable system access to their sports channel

The only odd manout is satellite tv

Its really that simple

Comcast owns most of the cable systems around philly.
With the obvious exceptions that you've noted.
They allow verizon fios access and any outlying cable system access to their sports channel
Don't kid yourself: They sell this access.
The only odd manout is satellite tv
Authentication for NBCSN Philly requires that you subscribe to a TV service that licenses it for your area. You can't simply declare that "I subscribe to Xfinity TV in San Mateo, California (or Paducah, Kentucky) so you have to let me watch Flyer's games".

DBS doesn't qualify because Comcast hasn't seen fit to offer their RSNs at a reasonable price as explicitly required by the merger agreement.

With the obvious exceptions that you've noted.

Don't kid yourself: They sell this access.

Authentication for NBCSN Philly requires that you subscribe to a TV service that licenses it for your area. You can't simply declare that "I subscribe to Xfinity TV in San Mateo, California (or Paducah, Kentucky) so you have to let me watch Flyer's games".

DBS doesn't qualify because Comcast hasn't seen fit to offer their RSNs at a reasonable price as explicitly required by the merger agreement.
Not today
But we see what peacock does

IIRC (it has been quite a while), WTBS carried a lot of Braves games leading to Ted Turner declaring them as "America's Team" in the mid-1980s. It was absolutely an exception.
Yep, Ted already owned channel 17 (WTBS), when he bought the Braves. After the purchase he immediately put every game up onto WTBS, which later he offered to every cable system that was willing to carry it, leading Ted to declare WTBS the first "superstation" and the Braves as "America's Team".

I spent many an evening at 7:35 fine tuning the outside antenna so my father could watch the Braves game. :biggrin

The SportsSouth cable channel was created when MLB limited the amount of games that a single channel could carry. As a consequence, Ted just made another channel to put those games onto.

Last edited:
Yep, Ted already owned channel 17 (WTBS), when he bought the Braves. After the purchase he immediately put every game up onto WTBS, which later he offered to every cable system that was willing to carry it, leading Ted to declare WTBS the first "superstation" and the Braves as "America's Team".

I spent many an evening at 7:35 fine tuning the outside antenna so my father could watch the Braves game. :biggrin

The SportsSouth cable channel was created when MLB limited the amount of games that a single channel could carry. As a consequence, Ted just made another channel to put those games onto.
NYC had their independent channels on microwave ( for upstate ny) long before wtbs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)