Worst weather at an outdoor sporting event you can recall?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
What are some of the worst weather conditions you can recall for an outdoor sporting event, whether you saw it on TV or live in person?

As a Sabres fan, it's the Winter Classic.

I also assume last year's Bills/Browns game will make the list:

Snow_Buffalo_at_Cleveland_2007_611774.jpg

The AFC Championship game between the Bengals and Chargers in 1981. Dang it was cold.

What are some of the worst weather conditions you can recall for an outdoor sporting event, whether you saw it on TV or live in person?

As a Sabres fan, it's the Winter Classic.

I also assume last year's Bills/Browns game will make the list:

Snow_Buffalo_at_Cleveland_2007_611774.jpg

I will have to go with the "Snow Bowl". Last year's Bills @ Cleveland game was downright nasty!

Quick story: I actually had tickets to that game, but a co-worker (in charge of company tickets) explained to me the day before that he asked his daughter to go and somehow "miss-counted" the number of tickets he had available. Being the nice guy, I said, "no problem, take your family, I'll stay home".

Anyways, we all knew the forecast going into the game and I knew I had to somehow witness this game with a public crowd. I had a feeling this game had the makings to live on in Cleveland sports lore. I ended up going to the local bar and arrived very early before the good part of the storm hit.

The stage was set. The Browns needed to win in order to keep their playoff hopes alive. By the start of the game, there were blizzard like conditions with wind gusts up to 40mph! By the end of the game, there were snow drifts covering cars! The game has since been coined "The Snow Bowl".

During the final minutes of the game, the satellite signal and power went out at the bar that I was watching the game at. Some huddled around cell phones to provide web enabled updates. I chose to bear the elements and shovel my way into my car and listen to the AM radio broadcast.

In the end, Jamal Lewis ran for a season high 163 yards and Phi Dawson managed to kick 2 field goals to go on and beat Buffalo 8-0.

I will remember that day forever.....

As for being there,
First Ohio State vs Penn State game when they joined the Big 10.
It was nasty, cold, snow, ice rain, you name it, it was there, except for deceint weather.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures ....

Jimbo

December 1st 1985 Packers and Buccaneers.

Lambeau field a foot of snow prior to the game another 6+ during the game.

I planned on going to the game so I spent the weekend at my brother in laws house as I usually did for games. At the time he lived within walking distance of the stadium.

There was little chance of driving in the snow so we walked and had a blast!! Stadium was not even half full at game time.

The Buc's were like fish out of water, White road uniforms made them blend into the snowstorm. The one thing that stands out for me in that game, Steve Young was sacked one of several times, He stood up and his face mask was completely filled with snow. He didn't take a step and had 2-3 different people pulling out enough snow so he could take his helmet off to clear the rest out.

As for watching on TV---many December games at Lambeau Field. It seems like it is always snowing there. If it's not snowing, it's because the temperature is 10 below.

As for in person---as a boy I went to an LA Angels game when they were a Cubs farm team. The temperature was 118. I've never forgotten it. Thank God our seats were in the shade!:)

I dont remember the years but a Pro Football hall of fame game where lightning was striking all over the place and the rain was pouring down the steps like a flood gate had opened - it was probably around 1980

Also a Chicago Bears game around the late 80's when the fog had made it almost impossible to see your hand in front of your face

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)