worth it to keep hdtv package

gren25

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
tarheel state
what do you guys think, I have an hdtv off air ant. that I GET GOOD RECEPTION with.so what do ya'll think.have 942@ wineguard squareshooter ant.my tv is a sony 960 xbr tube and hd looks good hooked up to the reciever or the tv.

gren25 said:
what do you guys think, I have an hdtv off air ant. that I GET GOOD RECEPTION with.so what do ya'll think.have 942@ wineguard squareshooter ant.my tv is a sony 960 xbr tube and hd looks good hooked up to the reciever or the tv.

How does it look? Have to ask because I'm a fellow 960 XBR user and haven't gotten a Dish HD receiver yet so I'm curious. Yeah I get OTA as well though that tuner is screwy or maybe my antenna isn't strong enough.
Personally I'd say wait because the extra 11 VOOM channels are coming this month or next most likely. In fact VOOM has been going down lately in the morning and it's suspected that's to make room for the extra channels.

One thing to consider...is your 942 leased? If so, you'll HAVE to keep the HD package if you want to keep your 942, otherwise they will require you to return it when you drop the HD package.

"I can't get HD via OTA, even if I were to put up an antenna."

How do you know have you tried an antenna? , I was pleasantly surprised how many digital and or HD channels I can get after I replaced my old beat up one with a new one. :) :)

Depending on your exact address I bet you could get the "blue" & "lt Green" with an 8 bay antenna. I live in the mountains of asheville, and the channels in blue with my 8 bay sitting on the ground.

* lt green - uhf WPWR-DT 50.1 UPN GARY IN 82° 42.2 51
* blue - uhf WSNS-DT 44.1 TEL CHICAGO IL 82° 42.2 45
* blue - uhf WFLD-DT 32.1 FOX CHICAGO IL 82° 42.2 31
* blue - uhf WCPX-DT 38.1 i CHICAGO IL 82° 42.2 43
* blue - uhf WMAQ-DT 5.1 NBC CHICAGO IL 82° 42.2 29
* blue - uhf WGN-DT 9.1 WB CHICAGO IL 82° 42.2 19
* violet - uhf WXFT-DT 60.1 TFA AURORA IL 82° 42.2 59
* violet - uhf WTTW-DT 11.1 PBS CHICAGO IL 82° 42.2 47
* violet - uhf WLS-DT 7.1 ABC CHICAGO IL 82° 42.2 52

I have the HD package, VOOM, and get all networks in HD via OTA.

I'd estimate my HD viewing as follows:

VOOM 40%
HD Pack 45% (inc HBO & Showtime)
OTA Nets 15%

So if I had to choose, my first "tier" to drop would be the OTA networks. Except for some sports, I can't find anything on them worth watching. Well, I'd watch "The West Wing" except I missed the first few shows of the season and have to wait for reruns.

It's a tough call. Probably 75% of our HD viewing is via OTA, despite the $10/month for the Dish HD Pak. As to the Dish HD Pak, little on TNT-HD is true HD and I can't stand all the snake shows on DiscoveryHD. Too bad Discovery just doesn't do all their stuff in HD and then simulcast it. Discovery's SD line up is far better and fresher than their HD line up, but even that has deteriorated over the past couple of years. Then you have HDNet. Great, if your significant other will let you watch Bikini Destinations, Get Out, and Art Mann Presents. Excellent HD PQ. HDNet Movies are alright if you like old movies or you missed a good one a dozen years ago. Finally, there's ESPN-HD. Only about a third of their content is actually HD; however, they will be getting NFL MNF next season, so that is a good reason to sign up for the HD Pak next August.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)