Would choose MPEG2 or MPEG4 (eastern vs western)

Eastern Arc or Western Arc (mpeg 4 or mpeg 2)?

• Eastern Arc has better picture quality

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Western Arc has better picture quality

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • They both look the same to me!

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

codee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Given the choice, would you guys have eastern or western arc installed in your house? I have Eastern currently, but have the option to go western as well for about $25. For anybody thats had both or has compared both, would you make a preference over one or the other? I heard the western arc has stronger sattelites but I'm not sure about that? I have a perfectly clear view for either setup. My main concern is picture quality of the primarily mpeg 2 vs mpeg 4, and my 2nd concern is rain fade.

Thanks for your input guys.

Had both and here is what I think;

Eastern arc had better pq on SD channels and the same on HD channels. All recordings took up less hard drive space because all channels are in mpeg 4.

Western arc had better signal strengths and less rain fade compared to Eastern arc where I had very low sat signals on 72.7 and 77 sats.

In the end I chose reliable picture and less rain fade over better SD pq and more recording time on the hard drive. If I can't watch tv when it rains , it doesn't matter to me what looks better in pq on SD channels, especially since I can't even see them anyway. Besides all hd is mpeg 4 now regardless of which arc.

Since I have both if I had to pick, I'd choose WA because of the stronger signal strengths, plus I watch mostly HD, and that's really the same on both arcs. I also have AAD Distants only on 119/110, and international channels that are only on 118. So for someone like me it's a no brainer.

I thought the HD was MPEG-4 on WA as well? If so then it would make no difference on hard drive space. It would only make a difference with SD. If that is the case then the only advantage to EA is if someone cannot receive a WA signal or if someone watches more SD than HD giving them more hard drive space and better picture quality.

If LiL is a concern, I agree with What. Otherwise, why change? MPEG-4 is coming on strong. Over the next year or two, how much will move to "4"? Not worth the change, or $25, IMHO.

I switched to EA due to HD Locals.

It does have an over all lower signal strength but also less rain fade than WA in my area. We get a lot of lake effect precipitation that comes from the west/south west. Even with a higher signal it could take down WA with no problem. EA handles it 100% better.

If you're not having rain fade issues with EA I wouldn't bother to switch.

Agree with everything said above. I converted from WA to EA to avoid growing trees, and overall I would say the picture is slightly better for SD programming. Here in Minnesota the EA signal numbers are lower than WA, but I also notice less rain fade than I did with WA.

All that said, if what you have works I wouldn't pay money to screw with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts