Would cutting off 25ft of cable from Dish to receiver help PQ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

david4455

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
I was outside today and noticed that I have 100 ft cable running from my dish to my receiver....I could probaby cut off 25 feet or so to shorten the cable....do you think this might help a little bit with PQ.
( It's not bad but I do get a little pixel problem since I upgraded to a HD TV.....)

My chief concern is that I am not an expert at putting on connectors on a rg 6 cable.....so I am not sure it is worth the "gamble"....

No, cutting 25 ft. won't help improve picture quality. With digital signals you either get the picture or you don't. With Dish Pro technology you can have 200 ft cable runs from the LNBs to receivers.

I think you need to look at your signal strength first, you may have low signals thus the pixelations. What kind of receiver? Any switches? Do you have a D1000 by any chance?

cable length is fine, receiver type is fine to, its the fact that your running an sd video output on an hd set. Try putting new cables or what ever your using to go from the receiver to the tv, this does sometimes make a diference, also if there are alot of devices on a power strip on one outlette this can rob your a/v equipment of resources and bog it all down much like using a 350 watt power supply on a computer that needs a 400 watt psu.

Then it's probably the 508.
And by that , I mean the firmware in the 508 - nothing you can do about it.

I have one, and ignore the occasional glitches.... though, I've noticed they've gotten worse this year.
...which I chalk up to some minor discrepency between the way they transmit and the way the 508 handles the reception.

If you'd describe the problem better, when it happens, how bad it is, maybe we could come up with alternate suggestions.

Of course, if you were watching the Formula 1 race on Speed \Channel this weekend, those glitches were in the feed from the race site.

edit: Oh, an HD tv set?
Sit farther away and you won't notice 'em ;)
Could just be that the screen is bigger and now you can see 'em .

Last edited:
Im running a 508 and a 301 on a dpquad, new rg-6 from dish to ground block and 10 year old coax with a non dish pro aproved barrel splice on the 508 line and a total of 130 feet of coax. 508 is almost two years old and I have never had any pixeling, never any video glitches, only glitches Ive had has been with the hard drive staggering in playback.

You've only seen this after upgrading your TV to a HDTV set?

Either your new TV is much larger and you are seeing the effects of expanding the overly compressed SD video, or it is a small HDTV set that doesn't handle SD well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts