Would like to switch to the Hopper/Joey setup if........

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I don't have to make too many changes. My present setup is this.........
I use the home distribution output of a 722 via coax that runs to a combiner/distribution amp. This amp combines the coax signal from the 722 + OTA signal & feeds several other tv's. My question is...........will I be able to use the same coax cabling that I now have feeding my other tv's with the Hopper/joey system and still be able to receive the OTA signal? I really don't want to go through all of the hassle to run additional cables.

There won't be any cables run from the Hopper directly to a Joey like you currently do. All cables go out to the Joeys from a central location. If you have a cental location where all your cables start then you should have no problem. If you're curious how it works there are several wiring diagrams on here.

No, you're current setup won't work. The Moca and OTA channels are in the same frequency range and would interfere with each other. You would need a separate cable for the Joey and the OTA.

You could get 1 Joey and connect its composite out cables to an RF modulator to feed your combiner/distribution amp to combine the Joey's output with an OTA signal, keeping the coax distribution to the rest of your TVs. I believe that would mirror the setup you have now, except that instead of a coax going from the room with your 722 to your combiner, it would go from the room with your Joey to the combiner. Obviously, you'd have a Hopper in place of your 722.

You could do that, but all you'd be doing is still feeding an SD signal mirrored to all TVs, just on Ch3 instead of Ch60 now. No different than the 722. Why sign up for another 2 year commitment without getting the benefit of HD at the other locations?

The only reason I can think of is added cost. $7 per additional TV adds up depending on how many TVs were talking about.

No, you're current setup won't work. The Moca and OTA channels are in the same frequency range and would interfere with each other. You would need a separate cable for the Joey and the OTA.
TV channel 44 and up are in the MoCA frequency band. There's also a "reserved" section where the bulk of the TV channels are. So running MoCA and off-air on the same cable might work or it might not. Even if there were no frequency overlaps with the off-air channels of interest, you'd need proper filters to properly combine them.

It's probably best to stick with separate cables or wait for the off-air tuners that plug into Hopper. The latter may eliminate the need to distribute off-air signals.

There won't be any cables run from the Hopper directly to a Joey like you currently do. All cables go out to the Joeys from a central location. If you have a cental location where all your cables start then you should have no problem. If you're curious how it works there are several wiring diagrams on here.

Damn, is that true? Right now I backfeed my 722 into the "cable network" in my house, and there are splitters involved to get the signal to 3 other TVs. Are you saying that there will need to be direct cable runs from a central point to each TV? That's going to be a dealbreaker for me.

Damn, is that true? Right now I backfeed my 722 into the "cable network" in my house, and there are splitters involved to get the signal to 3 other TVs. Are you saying that there will need to be direct cable runs from a central point to each TV? That's going to be a dealbreaker for me.
It can probably be made to work. Do you backfeed over a diplexer/triplexer or just put the TV2 output of the receiver straight into splitters? If you backfeed over a diplexer you could install the tap where the "outside" (the one not behind the receiver) diplexer is. If you do it directly you could put the tap right behind the receiver - it would be unconventional but it should work. I'm referencing the install setup in image #7 of the training materials post.

It can probably be made to work. Do you backfeed over a diplexer/triplexer or just put the TV2 output of the receiver straight into splitters? If you backfeed over a diplexer you could install the tap where the "outside" (the one not behind the receiver) diplexer is. If you do it directly you could put the tap right behind the receiver - it would be unconventional but it should work. I'm referencing the install setup in image #7 of the training materials post.

That'll work (the direct/tap behind the receiver). Thanks (and sorry to the OP for the threadjack).

This may have been already answered but with all the threads in the Hopper zone any reference would be all but impossible to find. My question is; will the OTA channels be only available on the Hopper or will all the Joey’s have them as well?

This may have been already answered but with all the threads in the Hopper zone any reference would be all but impossible to find. My question is; will the OTA channels be only available on the Hopper or will all the Joey’s have them as well?

OTA is expected to be added later, via USB, and yes, it is expected it will be shared/available to all Hoppers/Joeys.

OTA is expected to be added later, via USB, and yes, it is expected it will be shared/available to all Hoppers/Joeys.

Thanks Navy. The good news it seems is that the OTA locals will be available to all the Joey's. The not so good news is that they won't be immediately available. I hope the eventual USB add-on for the OTA local channels won't end up being one of those "SOON" features.

I think fines should be levied for any further post that contains the word SOON :rolleyes:

Thanks Navy. The good news it seems is that the OTA locals will be available to all the Joey's. The not so good news is that they won't be immediately available. I hope the eventual USB add-on for the OTA local channels won't end up being one of those "SOON" features.

Supposedly they have one or more USB OTA tuners in testing. They might decide to authorize just one for use, or a list of acceptable ones, or throw up their hands and say "you're on your own, it might work, but no support." I doubt the latter. Or they might come out with one under their own brand. It might be a single or dual tuner unit.

Considering that not everyone wants one, it makes sense to save a few cents leaving it out of the Hopper. Plus, our congress-critters are talking about changing OTA to include MPEG-4 and maybe even to reallocate frequency assignments. Easier to replace a USB device, should something so blindingly stupid happen.