Would this be too risky of a "move"?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I read in another one of the threads here of some local markets that are available CONUS. I would love to have stations from New York City (I'd prefer Los Angeles, but that's not CONUS). I obviously would wait a while since I just got Dish and "moved" about a half hour after my installation. But I'd like to get the biggest market I could with the ones that are CONUS, so that would be New York, but I'm worried that it would be too risky of a "move" being that I live in Rochester, Minnesota. (Plus if it's only just the Big Four I wouldn't want that market either.) Anyways, would this "move" be too risky?

I read in another one of the threads here of some local markets that are available CONUS. I would love to have stations from New York City (I'd prefer Los Angeles, but that's not CONUS). I obviously would wait a while since I just got Dish and "moved" about a half hour after my installation. But I'd like to get the biggest market I could with the ones that are CONUS, so that would be New York, but I'm worried that it would be too risky of a "move" being that I live in Rochester, Minnesota. (Plus if it's only just the Big Four I wouldn't want that market either.) Anyways, would this "move" be too risky?

It’s not the move I’d be concerned about; it’s the fact you’d only get the big 4 from
NYC, not all the stations they get on their own spot

A couple of things. All of your locals, both Minneapolis and Rochester, are on 110. The only Conus you can receive under your parameters is Sacramento. Next, because New York has both Conus and spotbeam transponders I don’t believe you would ever get NY locals because they would place you on the spots automatically and you are very far from the outside of that spot. Finally, the only stations you would receive are the big 4. All the rest of the channels are on spots.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
A couple of things. All of your locals, both Minneapolis and Rochester, are on 110. The only Conus you can receive under your parameters is Sacramento. Next, because New York has both Conus and spotbeam transponders I don’t believe you would ever get NY locals because they would place you on the spots automatically and you are very far from the outside of that spot. Finally, the only stations you would receive are the big 4. All the rest of the channels are on spots.
Thanks. Question, is that the reason I don't get National PBS in my "moved" locals from North Mankato, MN (zip code 56003) even though the website says I should?

No. As mentioned before, that is likely an authorization issue. You should email ceo@dishnetwork.com to have that resolved.

I tried that. They called me from corporate office regarding that. We did everything short of a service call, which would have been the next step. Another thing, when I went on the MyDISH website to cancel my locals then resubscribe, it DOESN’T LIST National PBS in my market. So I’m also wondering if that listing is maybe an old mistake that needs updating?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I hear it’s a 5 year felony to change your address to get locals outside your DMA.

Seriously, Nobody really cares!

Call and change the address, if you don’t like it, call and change the address back the next day.

If they say anything, tell them you gave an RV.

Reactions: pattykay
Thanks for the input. I need stations like PBS, CW, and MyNetworkTV on my satellite stations. So I won't do it. Thanks.
The last time I checked, the CW and My Network TV affiliates from NYC are also CONUS, since they use those same feeds for grandfathered Superstation subscribers. Those feeds are only standard-def, though. So, it would depend on which is more important to you: getting those stations from NYC, or getting those networks in HD.

The last time I checked, the CW and My Network TV affiliates from NYC are also CONUS, since they use those same feeds for grandfathered Superstation subscribers. Those feeds are only standard-def, though. So, it would depend on which is more important to you: getting those stations from NYC, or getting those networks in HD.

Regardless, he won’t get all the nets that NYC subscribers inside the spot would get

As said, apparently Dish doesn't care where you change your service address to as long as the bill keeps getting paid.

During the last batch of hurricanes in Florida we were in the northeast, but we changed our service address to St Marys, GA for the CONUS beamed Jacksonville, FL locals on 77. That gave us much better damage coverage than we could get in the north.

When we're traveling with our RV, we change our service address as often as daily, and a couple of times, twice the same day. Right now though, we're in the southern Adirondacks in upstate NY, but we've left our service address set to Pownal, VT for the dual DMA coverage. As long as we stay inside the spot beam's fairly large footprint, it works fine.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts