Would Voom Satellite be more successful in 2007?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

briani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I was a Voom customer in 2004 and really liked the concept of a satellite provider that focused on HD channels and better PQ on the handfull of SD channels. I think a "Voom" type of service could be successful today with STB's with good ATSC tuners and HD feeds of the major networks in the top DMAs. It would be a difficult sale in areas that don't receive HD OTA due to the ridiculous FCC regulations. What do you think?

Last edited:
Where would V* come up with the bandwidth to be able to handle all the new HD channels that would be coming online in the next 12 months?

I think that with the majority of satellite and cable companies offering HD to some degree that it would be a harder sell. The variety of HD has increased dramatically on all satellite providers since then.

Where would V* come up with the bandwidth to be able to handle all the new HD channels that would be coming online in the next 12 months?

Obviously, all satellite & Cable companies have bandwidth limitations to cope with, but with mpeg 4 compression and additional satellites VoOm could have expanded its programming as new channels eventually were available. The advantage this type of provider would enjoy over Dish and Direct TV is the limited bandwidth used on SD channels.........no international programming(Unless its HD), no SD packages of premium movie channels(Just east & west HD feed) no shopping channels(Unless its HD), limited pay-per-view channels(Just HD), no SD simulcast of HD channels like ESPN, TNT, National Geographic, etc.

Obviously, all satellite & Cable companies have bandwidth limitations to cope with, but with mpeg 4 compression and additional satellites VoOm could have expanded its programming as new channels eventually were available. The advantage this type of provider would enjoy over Dish and Direct TV is the limited bandwidth used on SD channels.........no international programming(Unless its HD), no SD packages of premium movie channels(Just east & west HD feed) no shopping channels(Unless its HD), limited pay-per-view channels(Just HD), no SD simulcast of HD channels like ESPN, TNT, National Geographic, etc.

How much more satellite positions are available that V* could expand with, I would think most if not all of the DBS licences are already allocated. IMHO service that doesn't carry any SD channel isn't viable unless priced knowing that people will need to get another service to get those pesky SD channels that aren't in HD.

voom did simulcast espn, ect. in hd and sd. with that though, i would sign up again in a second!

Had voom after dish picked them up, finally dropped the voom channels...they kept repeating the same content and once every couple months add another movie and they dropped guy-tv and put kungfu in it's place.

How much more satellite positions are available that V* could expand with, I would think most if not all of the DBS licences are already allocated. IMHO service that doesn't carry any SD channel isn't viable unless priced knowing that people will need to get another service to get those pesky SD channels that aren't in HD.

Didnt Voom have a few slot locations, because they had 3 sats on order, but never knew if they passed the licenses and sat order over to E* when they bought a stake in Voom.

VOOM never had many subs---though probably all of them posted here. the problem is that it could not succeed with so few HD viewers but now that HD has caught on a bit more there are other providers. So there is no assurance that VOOM would ahve found a niche.

Have to say no. That type of service only appeals to a small segment of the television community (although that community has a strong presence on this board). The first thing most TV consumers want is their locals in HD without a complicated setup of OTA antennas and typing in hyphens when changing channels. This large market is what a television service needs to attract to be successful.

The niche market is just not strong enough to support the running of a satellite service with all the overhead associated with it. From a cost perspective it has been shown to not make sense. I just do not see any group of investors spending the huge amount of capital required to start a new service for this small of a niche market.

I believe Voom had FIVE satellites on order, with penalties for cancellation. I have searched and asked, but have never found out if those sats were built or cancelled and if the cancellation fee was paid. There could be 5 great sats for sale.

I believe they only had the one slot, but expected more later.

Remember VOOM never had a DVR, but was working on one. Their Service really sold me on building a HD Home Theater. I am really pleased that DISH picked their programing up and that HD is now becoming main stream. VOOM had close to 40 HD channels and E* now has 32 and could be close to what VOOM had by the end of the year. I really thought it would be many more years before we had that many HD channels again. Sure glad I was wrong and mainly credit DISH with bringing awareness to many. I really don't think DirecTV would have changed their plans (I know they have said they were going to be #1 HD for more than a year now) and focused on HD without DISH doing it first. Glad I add E* and their VOOM HD as soon as I could and not waited on D* to offer what they had. Have really enjoyed all that DISH has offered but kept D* HD too. Maybe I can drop one of them next year, but DISH really has a great DVR and still not sure about D*, but if I can upgrade for the rumored $100 I may give it a try. Yes I miss VOOM DBS too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)