Would you consider buying a 3D TV as your next major TV purchase?

Would you consider buying a 3D TV as your next major TV purchase?

• Why not!

Votes: 52 23.0%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 44 19.5%
  • No way!

Votes: 130 57.5%

• Total voters
I'll have 3D in my house one day, but not at a premium, and since we just bought a TV for the bedroom it won't be anytime soon. Most I see it ever being is just a gimmick of a title, kind of like some of the higher end audio options. It won't be the selling point, but just another item in a list of features.

Well put. It is not the cost of the display so much--as it is expected to be about the same price as current HDTV's--but the cost to RECEIVE these channels from cable, sat, etc. We are all already paying extra for HD, paying anymore for 3D is DOA for me.

Having your kids sit around on the carpet looking like ants will impress thier friends

Attachments

• 3D glasses.jpg
    3D glasses.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 103
Big big dilemma for me. I planned to upgrade my 9-YO RPTV last year, but postponed for later, and now I am willing to wait for the next year models, but 3D option will depend on price premium.

I had already planned on upgrading to a 3D TV next year primarily for movie watching. I don't see myself ever watching a football game or something like that in 3D (I can't see 3D depth as much as most due to an eye problem but can see 3D in CGI and films like Avatar) but I plan on getting it for blu-ray movies like Polar Express, Coraline, etc.

Although if those movies are fetching a premium for the non-analglyph 3d versions that will run on a 3d tv they can have them... I will not pay more than I already pay for blu's.

I'll take that bet!

How much extra does it cost to have 1080p over 1080i over 720p? Take a look at the TVs on the market now and you iwill see the best selling ones are still 720p and 1080i. Why? Because "near" zero does not equal zero. People in general buy the cheapest. :)
720p sets exist because at certain distances there is no difference in PQ. I for one would never pay a premium for 1080p at 40 inches or below just as I would never pay a premium for LCD at 50 inches or above over DLP or Plasma. Everything has its place..

I bought a Mits 65" DLP about 18 months ago.

It has a 3d connector. I always assumed it was a raw connector or something to give 3d, but would probably never be implemented in the form they put it out.

So, they have been out for a while, just no content or hardware.

I hope deep down that the connector will be good for this.

We will wait and see

I bought a Mits 65" DLP about 18 months ago.

It has a 3d connector. I always assumed it was a raw connector or something to give 3d, but would probably never be implemented in the form they put it out.

So, they have been out for a while, just no content or hardware.

I hope deep down that the connector will be good for this.

We will wait and see

One of the reps at JVC was explaining about the 3D "compatible" sets vs. the true 3D sets soon to be released to retail is that in those older 3D compatibles, the screen is ready but the electronics needs to be added with an accessory that plugs in through a special connector. You should check your model and see if the hardware to plug into yours will actually be supplied. Often these future accessories never happen. Only Mits support can answer that for you.

Otherwise, the 3D signal will be sent over an HDMI cable that both the set and the BluRay player must be HDMI 1.4.

It is unlikely that your 18 month old Mits has HDMI 1.4 since that spec was just published in May of 2009.

The Samsung and Mits DLP sets sold for the past couple of years with the 3D connector have everything needed to display discrete 3D just like the ones at CES this year. The connector is just for an infrared emitter to sync to the glasses. The only difference is since they have the HDMI 1.3 spec, they will use the "checkerboard" method where every other pixel in the left and right images are combined and sent to the set over HDMI at 1080p60. Each eye will see 540p60, a little better than DVD quality. The resulting resolution is half of the normal 1080 for each eye but still discrete 3D. The new sets with HDMI 1.4 can accept full 1080 resolution for both eyes.

Some new 3D sets don't have the 3D connector, they send a signal to the glasses from the screen image or built-in emitter or over bluetooth. Mits announced an adapter for their sets to take the HDMI 1.4 3D signal and convert it to the TV's HDMI 1.3 format. Samsung announced that their 3D Blu-ray player can send the signal in all 3D formats, no converter required. Shutter glasses come in several control types; infrared, radio (bluetooth), and sensorless and different protocols. You will need the type compatible with your combination of TV, emitter and player or PC. Personally, I going to wait for the new Samsung 3D glasses kit and Blu-ray player so I know everything will work with my Samsung DLPs. Plus, I will get Netflix without hooking my Mac to the TV.

Anything that needs glasses is a big no to me.

IF they can come up with a set that looks like 3D WITHOUT glasses, then I'll consider it, but I'm not paying thousands extra for the privilege either.

I hear you! :)

But just to clarify the question of this poll: I don't expect too many people will rush buying a new TV set just to get the 3D thing.
What I am asking is this: when you are ready to get a new TV set, would you consider getting a 3D set?

IF that is all they have to buy, yes I would consider buying a 3-d tv.

720p sets exist because at certain distances there is no difference in PQ. I for one would never pay a premium for 1080p at 40 inches or below just as I would never pay a premium for LCD at 50 inches or above over DLP or Plasma. Everything has its place..

I have seen some 65 inch LCDs that look awesome, not all but some. I do not know you except for here and I am not trying to be rude but I would take a look at flat panel LCDs at least 65 inches and reconsider my position about them not being worth the premium. They can look awesome. Size matters.

Last edited:
The Samsung and Mits DLP sets sold for the past couple of years with the 3D connector have everything needed to display discrete 3D just like the ones at CES this year. The connector is just for an infrared emitter to sync to the glasses. The only difference is since they have the HDMI 1.3 spec, they will use the "checkerboard" method where every other pixel in the left and right images are combined and sent to the set over HDMI at 1080p60. Each eye will see 540p60, a little better than DVD quality. The resulting resolution is half of the normal 1080 for each eye but still discrete 3D. The new sets with HDMI 1.4 can accept full 1080 resolution for both eyes.

Some new 3D sets don't have the 3D connector, they send a signal to the glasses from the screen image or built-in emitter or over bluetooth. Mits announced an adapter for their sets to take the HDMI 1.4 3D signal and convert it to the TV's HDMI 1.3 format. Samsung announced that their 3D Blu-ray player can send the signal in all 3D formats, no converter required. Shutter glasses come in several control types; infrared, radio (bluetooth), and sensorless and different protocols. You will need the type compatible with your combination of TV, emitter and player or PC. Personally, I going to wait for the new Samsung 3D glasses kit and Blu-ray player so I know everything will work with my Samsung DLPs. Plus, I will get Netflix without hooking my Mac to the TV.

Thanks for clarifying that. It amazed me at how much misinformation was flying at the show regarding "the other guy's technology" Had a Panasonic rep apologize for misinformation being given out by the DirecTV boys the first day and two JVC engineers get into an argument over resolution and the refresh rates. This new technology has so much uncertainty about it, it would be foolish for anyone to go out and buy on the basis of some future claim. Hopefully if you already bought, it was based on other factors but as for 3D, if you can get it great, but not to be surprised if the final release doesn't support what you bought.

I probably won't ever go 3D because I have basically little to no depth perception in my eyes.[one eye focuses one way one the other]

doesnt everyone think that we spent thousands already setting up projectors and 1080 and 720p's that for the most part are VERY satisfied with what we have and these upgrades were a MAJOR step up from SD.

I can honestly sday that I AM completely satisfied and have no desire to switch over AGAIN. personally, I think these will flop or take a long time to establish themselves

doesnt everyone think that we spent thousands already setting up projectors and 1080 and 720p's that for the most part are VERY satisfied with what we have and these upgrades were a MAJOR step up from SD.

I can honestly sday that I AM completely satisfied and have no desire to switch over AGAIN. personally, I think these will flop or take a long time to establish themselves

This is very true, and probably reflects the common attitude.

However, it is the manufacturer's job to get us to throw away all our stuff and start over again as often as possible. Thus they add new groovy features and hope we can't live without them. The reality is that 80% of them kind of fail, and only the few that have to have the latest and greatest will change over.

I don't think 3-D has that potential for the majority to do a change so quickly. In fact, it wasn't even HDTV that did it last time for the average viewer. I believe it was flat panel displays which made the old 26-32" CRT set look old and unfashionable. The new set looks stylish when the neighbors drop by, and to gain 3-D, you actually have to turn the set on and break out the geek glasses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)