Wow! D* Only charges $10/month for HD

Direct TV HD rates will go up. Direct has to maintain its lead as the most expensive provider who seeks high-end, high monthly bill with with extras. I do remember a quote from Direct when asked about the HD package fee. It was something like, "we haven't made a decision, and won't until next year, but for now our current price applies.

I am dying to see this board when Direct announces the fee hike. for all these extra HD channels:). On the other hand, Ergan is already charging a high fee allowing him to proudly announce "So, you have some new HD channels at no extra charge!" I suppose at Dish, customers are pre-paying for all the "free" coming HD channels..

DirecTV is actually $3 cheaper if you have two HD receivers for two HDTVs, one of them being an HD DVR.

Dish DVR Advantage:
$49.99 per month
+$10.00 for AT250
+$20.00 for Dish HD
+$10 for HBO
+$6.00 for extra receiver

Directv PLUS HD DVR
$69.99 per month (includes DVR fee and HD fee)
+$5.00 for HD extra pack
+$13.00 for HBO
+$4.99 for extra receiver

But I'm not ready to make the move because the disadvantages of DirecTV are buying the HD reciever for $100 and the HD DVR for $200. Also you would have to buy the Sports Pack for another $12 if you want some of the national sports channels Dish includes in AT250.

yeah thats around how much ill be paying for dish..

50 for DVR advantage + like 12 for dish latino + 20 for HD + 6 with that dish warranty + taxes.. which is around 90.. i really dont know the prices because im new to dish but after the free months of dish HD it will be around 90.

Locals are included in every DirecTV base package. There is no $5 charge.

Also AT200+HD doesn't include National Geographic, The Science Channel, or Golf/Versus. If you're going stricly for HD value you might as well drop down to AT100+HD since you only additionally lose Animal Planet.

I am not sure why I included the $5.00 fee for locals for Directv (I appologize for the mistake). When I was a Directv customer last year, I WAS charged for locals. That must have changed or they screwed me over. Either way, the post was just to show that we are paying essetially the same for HD, and you still pay less for Dish even with the $5.00 for locals removed. I Will Edit My First Post for you all.:D

DirecTV is actually $3 cheaper if you have two HD receivers for two HDTVs, one of them being an HD DVR.

Dish DVR Advantage:
$49.99 per month
+$10.00 for AT250
+$20.00 for Dish HD
+$10 for HBO

Directv PLUS HD DVR
+$5.00 for HD extra pack
+$13.00 for HBO

But I'm not ready to make the move because the disadvantages of DirecTV are buying the HD reciever for $100 and the HD DVR for $200. Also you would have to buy the Sports Pack for another $12 if you want some of the national sports channels Dish includes in AT250.

With this example you actual get 3 tuning options with E* as there HD DVR has the separate SD output and 2nd remote.

You think so? I wonder how high it will go.
Whatever they think the market will bear. DIRECTV has already hinted that they will split off five of the six HD-only channels and place them in a $4.99 "HD Extra" package.

The love they're getting now is small compensation for paying more than $1/channel for the last three years.

Dish DVR Advantage:
$49.99 per month
+$10.00 for AT250
+$20.00 for Dish HD
+$10 for HBO

Directv PLUS HD DVR
+$5.00 for HD extra pack
+$13.00 for HBO

D* gives you $120 off your bill ($10/month for 12 months). Now your D* bill is $82.98:D

programming and price will always be so close,it comes down to equipment.the E* equipment (especially the 722 dvr) is SO far superior to D*,its not close,Ive had both,if you havent had a 622 or 722,you cant fathom the difference.if you have a comcast moto,god love you!

programming and price will always be so close,it comes down to equipment.the E* equipment (especially the 722 dvr) is SO far superior to D*,its not close,Ive had both,if you havent had a 622 or 722,you cant fathom the difference.if you have a comcast moto,god love you!

It depends on what you want from your receiver. I was considering Dish but I went with DTV since it's HD receiver has two OTA tuners. The receiver has performed flawlessly and it's as good as my old DTivo. My question is what is SO far superior in 722 (obviously it's worst in one aspect since it doesn't have dual OTA tuner). I really don't care about dual room watching and dual buffer.

With this example you actual get 3 tuning options with E* as there HD DVR has the separate SD output and 2nd remote.

Which would matter if you had a 3rd TV that was SD. I don't, so it doesn't matter to me - I'll never own another SD TV as long as I live, so it won't ever matter to me.

But, as I've already said, it's about what's important to you...

You have a picture of Tedy Bruschi as your avatar, which means I will no longer listen to anything you say. ;)

I think the pricing for similar program packages is pretty close between D* and E*. I have AT250 from E* with HD and 2 premiums. Not sure about how it compares at levels of programming above or below what I have, but at this level it looks like D* is about $10 higher per month after the 3 month promotional discounts end. That's not a huge difference when you're paying about $100 a month for TV service. What would keep me from switching is the startup costs. I have 2 DVRs. With D* their web site is showing me nearly $500 in startup equipment costs.

I refuse to be a D* basher and likewise, while I am happy with my service from E* I am not an evangelist. When my current commitment is up I will, again, compare offerings. I will not whine about what E* does or does not have, nor about what D* has that E* doesn't. If I am no longer happy with E* then I will switch. It's not as dramatic as some people would like to make it out to be (although I really am amused by some of the expressions of strong feelings on both sides of the current competition).

Anyone who researches this and comes to these message boards has a LOT of information at their fingertips. One would expect that, armed with so much information, they could make a reasonable decision that works for them. And what works for *me* and makes me happy may be different from what works for someone else.

It is what it is.

:)

I know this isn't the war zone, but at least get the facts right... I don't pay a dime for my locals with D* and I get three of them in HD.

And what happens if you want two HD TV's?

I get all my locals free and the ones in HD are all in HD on my TV. All this with a one time purchase of a $50 Radioshack HD Antenna that works very well. No monthly charge to Dish, where I have the 250 pack and don't pay them anything for my locals.

I also get my locals through cable in HD at no additional charge.

So I would hardly call DirecTV giving you three locals in HD and the rest in SD something worth bragging about. Because it really is not.

I get all my locals free and the ones in HD are all in HD on my TV. All this with a one time purchase of a $50 Radioshack HD Antenna that works very well. No monthly charge to Dish, where I have the 250 pack and don't pay them anything for my locals.

So I would hardly call DirecTV giving you three locals in HD and the rest in SD something worth bragging about. Because it really is not.

Once again Skottey you have failed to understand that the entire world does not revolve around you. Fact of the matter is that there are a whole lot of people out their that are not in your position to get those locals OTA. It is very important to them. D* definitely has an edge in the locals and to dismiss it as unimportant is ridiculous.

I was hardly bragging... I get plenty more HD channels OTA than I will ever get from D*...

I was simply pointing out that I don't pay anything for the ones that I do get, because the poster had implied that D* charges a $5 fee for locals.

Once again Skottey you have failed to understand that the entire world does not revolve around you.

I don't appreciate the personal attacks. That is uncalled for. This has nothing to do with me specifically and all viewers of Dish and DirecTV.

Fact of the matter is that there are a whole lot of people out their that are not in your position to get those locals OTA. It is very important to them. D* definitely has an edge in the locals and to dismiss it as unimportant is ridiculous.

When you break down the pricing of Dish vs. DirecTV and you figure out what you are paying, saving $5 on locals with DirecTV is balanced out elsewhere. I highly doubt that $5 on OTA channels is a deciding factor for most people when deciding between Dish and DirecTV. Most areas have the option of cable (sometimes more than one), Dish, DirecTV or OTA. Sure, there are some people in the sticks that are out of range of OTA and no cable is offered, but for the most part rural residents have options besides DirecTV and Dish Network. Add up the pricing on each and you'll see, free OTA is made up for elsewhere with DirecTV.

I was hardly bragging... I get plenty more HD channels OTA than I will ever get from D*...

I was simply pointing out that I don't pay anything for the ones that I do get, because the poster had implied that D* charges a $5 fee for locals.

Sorry... I misunderstood your point. All this back and forth between the Dish crowd and the DirecTV crowd has gotten too me. haha.

Obviously, there are advantages and disadvantages to each provider, and the fact is, the only thing that motivates any of them, whether it be satellite or cable, to actually add channels and technology, is that they are trying to keep up with the competition. If it wasn't for satellite gaining ground, cable providers would have never gone digital, but they had to because satellite offered more. Then cable got ahead with On Demand and HD, premium multichannels, etc, and now DirecTV has done something about it and added more HD. This is all good, because Dish will now hopefully add more to keep up. My cable company is pushing itself to the limit now too and finally adding HD channels. Business is business and the name of the game is to please the shareholders and make money, but it gets really annoying the way these providers hold out on adding channels and technologies until they are basically forced into it to keep from losing subscribers. We Dish subscribers should be glad that DirecTV has now pulled ahead. DirecTV subscribers should then be glad when Dish pulls ahead again. We all win when they try to top each other.

Sorry... I misunderstood your point. All this back and forth between the Dish crowd and the DirecTV crowd has gotten too me. haha.

Obviously, there are advantages and disadvantages to each provider, and the fact is, the only thing that motivates any of them, whether it be satellite or cable, to actually add channels and technology, is that they are trying to keep up with the competition. If it wasn't for satellite gaining ground, cable providers would have never gone digital, but they had to because satellite offered more. Then cable got ahead with On Demand and HD, premium multichannels, etc, and now DirecTV has done something about it and added more HD. This is all good, because Dish will now hopefully add more to keep up. My cable company is pushing itself to the limit now too and finally adding HD channels. Business is business and the name of the game is to please the shareholders and make money, but it gets really annoying the way these providers hold out on adding channels and technologies until they are basically forced into it to keep from losing subscribers. We Dish subscribers should be glad that DirecTV has now pulled ahead. DirecTV subscribers should then be glad when Dish pulls ahead again. We all win when they try to top each other.

Well said.

And, I understand... sometimes it's hard to separate all the rhetoric and figure out who's preaching and who's just trying to have a nice discussion... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts