Wow...just got my biggest discount ever from Dish..

FearTheVoices

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
NH
So i have had Dish for about 10 years now, it seems every few months I will call and let them know my dissatisfaction with the service, being it the prices or the quality of HD reception. Anyway, in the past i would i always get maybe a few months of starz/showtime etc..with a $5 or $10 credit anywhere from 3-6 months.

This time however i am getting pretty serious about switching over to a streaming service completely and i let them know that today. I have been on the Smartpack for the last 5 months(downgraded from 120) with Hopper and a Super Joey, my bill was $56 a month. I told them what channels i wanted and they ended up offering me the top 200 package with $30 off for 6 months!

So my bill is only going up $10 a month and i am upgrading from the Smartpack to the Top 200, that's probably the best they have ever offered me since i have been with them. Maybe they realize they need to compete more with streaming options now?

Maybe they realize they need to compete more with streaming options now?

I doubt that. I think they just know that there are a few whiners who will call in periodically trying to get some kind of discount, and they figure they can throw them a bone or two and charge it up to the rest of us without much trouble. :)

Just an FYI, they track every account with how many credits one gets over what period of time(including free movies) and that plays a part into how they evaluate you as a customer for future incidences. I'm not saying this credit you got will be a no go for the future, but just so you know one of they things they measure when offering new promotions and bonuses. That is for upgrades, future discounts, freebies, etc. it's all in relation to how much money they bring in off of you.

I always figured they track what they give you, but how far do they go back? From my experiences they usually bring it up and say "well you just had a credit and free stations that ended two months ago" but they do not mention anything about the ones before that.

Either way this was a great deal for me, thanks for the input

I guess I see it this way. They just got a long term customer to pay them an additional $10 per month and accept an upgraded service that if the customer forgets to call and reduce again will net them even more per month, all with little to no acquisition costs.

I always figured they track what they give you, but how far do they go back? From my experiences they usually bring it up and say "well you just had a credit and free stations that ended two months ago" but they do not mention anything about the ones before that.

Either way this was a great deal for me, thanks for the input
They will not as it is something that is truly irrelevant to the consumer. There is nothing that can be done to change it, and it leaves the opportunity for them to customize service around you, as a customer.
As far as how back, and what exactly they look for, I could not tell you, nor anyone here can. Anyone who tells you they can, is full of it, but there are general things, things that most companies use. Just metrics to evaluate each individual customer, Although everyone is treated the same, benefits are only available based on your quality and customer status, which is a huge benefit if you(or anyone really) feels they are a good customer. It does not take a lot, but those that call in daily, and get 90 credits each month, and freebies ALL the time can find themselves getting less. This is really anything that is waived, credited, or put on the account. Its genius really, and as mentioned previously these credits will not bankrupt them, so they will continue to offer the majority of those asking credits, in the name of customer service and happy customers.It was mentioned at the beginning of the year. There are less customers, but more revenue and net profit. They have started on the path of eliminating those that cost the company money, rather than make it, and they are eliminating things that cost the company money. Charlie and his team are pretty good at this sort of thing.

If Dish wasn't loosing customers left and right you probably would not have gotten this offer.

Talked to someone the other day and Dish stock is doing good only because of their spectrum licenses. They are at s loss on the Dbs side

Just an FYI, they track every account with how many credits one gets over what period of time(including free movies) and that plays a part into how they evaluate you as a customer for future incidences. I'm not saying this credit you got will be a no go for the future, but just so you know one of they things they measure when offering new promotions and bonuses. That is for upgrades, future discounts, freebies, etc. it's all in relation to how much money they bring in off of you.

It wouldn't surprise me.

Just like they will hold a non-pay disconnect against you forever.

There is probably some big formula they use to calculate how bad they want to keep you as a customer.

I'm surprised they haven't done what some of the cellular companies have done and started sending disconnect letters out due to requesting too many credits or service calls.

There is probably some big formula they use to calculate how bad they want to keep you as a customer.

I'm surprised they haven't done what some of the cellular companies have done and started sending disconnect letters out due to requesting too many credits or service calls.
They do that, and they do send out those notices(although it has been awhile since I have seen someone mention it). Last one I remember was when ERT was still around, but since OOP has come into existence, I have not heard of them doing that.

Dunno...I guess I have a life. I can't imagine wasting my time regularly calling to complain just to save a couple bucks.

There are people who will call in and complain every time they get a bill in the mail.

When Dish went to requiring payment of the first month at the time the customer signed up for service, and then making HD for life a requirement with AUTOPAY and paperless billing, complaints about billing went down 90%

When they did the double billing on the first statement, everyday it was "my bill is wrong" and I think I ended up issuing more credits just because It was easier than sitting on the phone for 20-30 minutes breaking down their bill and explaining all the charges.

Doing 1500 new customers per month, there was times I spent all day on the phone dealing with this crap. Then if the customer really irritated me, I would end up pulling the recording, play it back to them just to prove them wrong so I wouldn't have to pay out anything.

Then try charging an activation fee, or any fees beyond free. Explain it 100 times clear as day, and they still will dispute the charges, or call back and play dumb.

Anyone with a foreign sounding last name, don't know why but those are the highest percentages of the ones who complain or try to get additional discounts.

They do that, and they do send out those notices(although it has been awhile since I have seen someone mention it). Last one I remember was when ERT was still around, but since OOP has come into existence, I have not heard of them doing that.

Oh, they're still doing it. :) Had a guy I talked to back in 2014, ordered a lot of PPV pr0n, and then would call and harass agents into refunding it. Corporate noticed the refunds, put notes on the account to stop giving him credits. A few knuckeheads did anyway (not in the US), and eventually, the corporate guy called the customer and cancelled the guy's account. We weren't going to make money on the guy, was a wise decision. Also saw a couple months ago, a guy would call and harass agents into so much credits, he felt he should not pay ANYTHING for his service. Had not made a payment of any type in about 6 months. Corporate called him and cut him off, too.

Summary: Yep, it still happens. Charlie is tight with money, and it does not surprise me a bit that the company would rather have less customers and make the same amount of money, rather than keeping people who show a history of not wanting to pay for service.

Speaking of it's been quiet on the dispute front...too quiet...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Except for the Columbus, OH and Indianapolis markets. (Dispatch Broadcasting) I was able to get a free OTA module, Dish Movie Pack free for three months, Starz free for one month, and $5 off per month for three months because of this one. Combined with the Boomerang disruption last month (which was actually a technical glitch on Dish's end, not a dispute) I was able to wipe out my entire Dish payment this month.

That is good to know but my response would be "so what?" The way I look at it, we are the customers and it's their job to keep us happy. Not the other way around. This goes for any company, not just Dish.

I don't care how they evaluate me as a customer. I see no problem with continuing to consider my options. If a company decides to cut me off on credits because I've had to many in the past it would be time to decide whether I still think their service is a good value. If not there are plenty of other choices.

I played the loyalty game with Dish for a while but when they weren't able to offer a discount big enough to stay I left. It wasn't personal on my end. I just wanted a better deal. Guess what... It wasn't personal on their end either. They didn't hold a grudge against me. I have been getting "we want you back" letters since about a week after I canceled offering promo rates and a $200 gift card.

Their job is actually to be profitable. Their job is to provide a product that will sell to the overall masses. Their job is not to keep individuals happy but to keep the overall masses happy. If you're not one of the overall masses you don't mean much to their overall scope of things.... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)