Wow! What has happened to Dish?

FlexBaud

Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Pensacola, FL
Note One: I have a 722 DVR as well as a 222k. To date, I have not had any issues with the 222k other than the Tech Issues as described below (including the local channel issue) however, the box has not needed replacement.

Note Two: I had Dish in 2007 and Early 2008. I had the 625 and 322. I never had a issue from day one. Installation went great (Installer even programmed remotes for VCR, etc.) Local Channels worked fine, etc.

Note Three: My mom's company (where I also used to work before being laid off) contracts with Dish Network to provide video service for their customers. They have well over 10,000 customers. She warned me that her company has been having a lot of service issues with Dish and that the company is moving to DirecTV. As having had Dish in the recent past, and knowing that my mom's company uses Dish Commerical (not the same Dish as regular customers use) I didn't pay much attention to this.

The Order: So, after pricing Cable, DirecTV, and Dish... Dish seemed to be the best fit for me. I also love the two room receivers because this would mean I would be able to watch my DVR recordings in my office as well as my bedroom. I was informed that since I live on the East Coast that I must get HD equipment. I thought this was a little odd so I called back a few times to speak to a few different people and each of them said the same thing and said there is no extra charge for the HD Receivers. Note: I do not have a HDTV in my home. So, I decided to go with it as I figured I would eventually get a HDTV anyway. I was also able to get the current promotion at the time. So, for the most part, the order went smooth.

Installation: Young kid came out to install my service. As I had Dish Network in the past, my house was already wired. He didn't seem to know where to start, so I explained to him that I had Dish Network before and that all he would need to do is to change out two splitters with two duplexers under the home. I showed him where the old dish used to be, and how it was fed to the duplexers. He did not have to run any coax, but would have to relocate to dish to the roof due to using different sat's. He was here for well over 6 hours. He was clueless, he tried hooking up my NON-HDTV using HD Cables (of course which got a scrolling picture) and didn't understand why it wasn't working. He was an idiot.

Tech Visit One: So, shortly after the install, I started having some issues. My local channels were breaking up very bad and had green blocks mixed in with the picture, and all my other channels were breaking up, even on a clear day. I called Dish and was told that my signal was way too weak, so they send a tech out. It was the same guy. He was here for 4 hours trying to adjust the dish to get a better signal. The local channels were still breaking up and he said he didn't know why and he did everything he could do. As soon as left, I called Dish Network to inform them of this and of course they had me do more troubleshooting. They said they would send out a regional manager to my home instead of the same Tech.

QA Visit: A day or two later, a guy starts knocking on my door. He informed me he was with QA and wanted to look over the install of the Dish. I explained to him the issues I had been having and that was when he admitted that there have been some complaints about the installer which is why he was going around doing QA's.

Tech Visit Two: This is when the regional manager came out to check everything. I explained all the issues I've been having to him. He checked all the equipment and the Dish. He said he made some adjustments. He informed me that the local channels issue (breaking up, green boxes, etc) is from the feed of the local stations and that there is nothing they can do about it. He also stated that the reason my other channels are breaking up and that I have a low signal is because Dish lost a satellite in orbit. I smell BS.

Note: So, by this point, I have had several techs in my home and have spent countless hours on the phone with Dish Network. At the end of this, my local channels are still having issues. So, I get to watch the 6 O'clock news with green boxes and skipping. Oh Joy! I might as well be using bunny ears!

First Bill: So, I get my first bill and I noticed that nothing was correct. I had to call dish to have my bill adjusted and the promotions applied. Oh Joy!

Dish 722 DVR One: So, This is my first box from dish, the one the installer hooked up. I started recording some TV Show's and movies. As I went to play them back, I noticed that they were skipping, freezing, and had audio loss. I also noticed the same thing when I tried to pause a live show and tried to play it. So, I called Dish which had me do general troubleshooting. They also had me go into Menu, System Setup, Installation, System Info, and press Details. On this screen, they had me read off some Values (numbered 0-10) I read off Value 7 which was -2. He said that my DVR was bad and would need to be replaced. He sent one via UPS.

Dish 722 DVR Two: So, I got my new DVR. I connected everything up and activated it. Moment's later, the box just shuts off for no reason and reboots. It comes back up and about 20 minutes later it does the same thing. I called Dish, did some troubleshooting and they said to try it again for a while to see what happens. As soon as I got off the phone, boom, box reboots. I waited to see if it would do it again... sure enough it did. I called Dish back and they said the box is bad, that maybe it was overheating or the power supply was bad. Yet another replacement was sent to me.

Dish 722 DVR Three: By now, I am starting to get a little tired of all these issues. Either way, I activated the box and all seemed well for about 3 weeks. I had 60 recordings or so on the box. As I had some free time, I decided to go back and watch some of those recordings. I noticed that a few of the recordings were doing the same as box number one was. I also noticed issues pausing on some channels. I called Dish, did the normal troubleshooting. He had me read off Value 7 which was -2. He informed me that it should be 4 and that the box would need to be replaced. I asked if he could waive the $39.99 activation charge for external hard drives (so I could back up my recordings) due to all the issues I've had and he said NO right away. I called back a day later and spoke with a supervisor and she waived the fee so I could back up some of my recordings. Thanks Dish.

Dish 722 DVR Four PART 1: By now, I've just about had it. So, I called Dish to activate this box. It didn't activate and I could only view the Dish FYI channel. After 3 phone calls, and a ton of troubleshooting, a Tech was scheduled to come out to check my Dish because the box isn't taking the hit. I left the box to sit.

The Call: So, by this point I decided enough was enough and called Dish to cancel. I explained all the issues to the guy and he said that this is not normal for dish and that he would give me a month free ($83 credit) as well as give me $10 off each month for the next 12 months. This seemed like a pretty decent deal so I decided to stay.

Dish 722 DVR Four PART 2: By now, It's been a couple of hours. I decided to go back to the TV and I noticed that the box was turned on (I left it turned off) so I turned on my TV and noticed the Dish FYI Channel was on. I figured "What the hell" and pressed the guide button. Sure enough, all my channels were listed and were working. GREAT! I thought. So, I called dish back and cancelled the tech appointment as all seemed well.

Dish 722 DVR Four PART 3: So, I'm watching TV and had to step away for a minute so I paused the live TV (I'm sure by now you know where this is going) I then came back and pressed play... The picture was video and audio were skipping as well as moments of freezing. I tried another channel, same issue. I tried recording a show, same issue. I decided to do a unplug the unit for 30 minutes. I powered it up and sure enough, I had the same issues. I decided to check the Value 7 before I called Dish again. Sure enough, it was/is -2, just as the other two were. I called Dish and did the normal troubleshooting. She had me read her the values and told me that since this is a new box that they can't/won't do anything for 72 hours. She told me to record a few programs and see what happens during that time frame and if I was still having issues in 72 hours to call back so a replacement can be sent (again).

Current: By now, I've just about had it. I'm 2 seconds from canceling Dish and just going back to Basic Cable with Netflix. I really don't know what to do at this point. I think 5 receivers is more than enough, and even then, this still doesn't fix the local channels issue.

Should have got DirecTv. ;)

Honestly, this is the norm for Dish anymore. That's why they are bleeding subscribers at an alarming rate.

They seem not to care.

Should have got DirecTv. ;)

Honestly, this is the norm for Dish anymore. That's why they are bleeding subscribers at an alarming rate.

They seem not to care.

For me, Dish Network was a better choice. I like having the 2 room DVR so that I can watch my recordings in my home office, and my bedroom. It also saves from paying $5 extra a month as well. I also like the channel line-up from Dish. They have nearly every channel I want whereas DirecTV, nor my local cable company has. I also like the fact that I can connect the DVR to a external hard drive to back up my DVR recordings. I was also able to get Cinemax free for one year (using Autopay) However, I have heard that DirecTV has more Satellite's in the sky which they say help's rain fade. I also have heard they offer better OnDemand, and they do carry one channel I am somewhat interested (or at least curious about)

I just can't believe all this is happening. It's sad because I really used to like Dish Network a lot, but no so much anymore after all this mess.

They didnt lose a satellite causing low strength. LOL.

The skipping and freezing is from low signal. You need to get that fixed. Let us know the signal strengths you get.

They didnt lose a satellite causing low strength. LOL.

The skipping and freezing is from low signal. You need to get that fixed. Let us know the signal strengths you get.

Okay. Here are my signal levels:
61.5 West - 42-43
72.7 West - 48-50
77 West - 54-55

When I had Dish back in 2007, My signal levels were always in the 90-100 range, of course, it was a different dish and pointed in a different direction.

The skipping and freezing only happens on some recordings, or if I pause a live feed and try to play it back. It seems to happen a lot on HBO, but I've noticed other channels as well.

On my local channels, the feed is pretty unstable. I often get green blocks, or flashes of green, and the picture is pixelized. I've noticed that the voice/audio is often out of sync on my local channels as well. It seems to be much worse in the morning's than in the evenings.

FlexBaud, you've been more than patient. Your signal levels appear a bit low but Dish recently lowered their level scale. What used to be a 100 signal level for me is now closer to 60.

I'm also getting fed up with Dish because they have not yet fixed my optical digital audio problems.

I like Dish's usability features better than any other company but with the problems you've had so far, I'd switch to DirecTV. I might make that switch myself very soon.

What a horror story. Ugh.

Did they place your 722 in SD-only mode? I am suspicious this mode is not debugged. Even slightly. If you get a cooperative CSR on the line, as a test you might ask him to activate the regular HD mode and see if this fixes all those problems. The signal strengths don't look that bad to me.

What a horror story. Ugh.

Did they place your 722 in SD-only mode? I am suspicious this mode is not debugged. Even slightly. If you get a cooperative CSR on the line, as a test you might ask him to activate the regular HD mode and see if this fixes all those problems. The signal strengths don't look that bad to me.

It doesn't appear so. I am able to get HD Channel's and whatnot. I do have a monitor with a HDMI input that I could use to test it, but I don't have a HDMI Cable.

both my 722 are -2 at value 7, I wonder what that means they seem to work just fine..........

If I remember correctly, that's okay.

I'll bet Scott can get hold of the info relating to the diagnostic values and post them for users if they can't be found researching Dishnetwork.com.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFz_R9i6B44]YouTube - Dish Network VIP722 HD-DVR Issues[/ame]

This is a video I just made which should give some idea of what is going on.

The problems almost seem like a cable/connection issue. I would be checking things like all the coax ends making sure there are no stray braids from the outer shield touching the center lead. Are you running any cables through a coax surge protector? I originally had my coax running through one and seemed to have issues so I bypassed the SP and the problems went away. I doubt the problems are reciever related but rather a disrupted signal.

The only thing I did was pause it, pressed play, and accessed the DVR Menu. I did not touch anything when it was skipping. This is the 3rd box that I have had that has this issue.
Given all the steps you've taken to troubleshoot, I think your signal strength is too low. Perhaps the 722 requires a higher signal strength than it is receiving. I just checked my signal strength and I'm getting 69 - 70. I'd get someone back out there to re-aim your dish.

Well, he needs to get someone ELSE out there to peak the dish. There's already been 3 idiots on site. OK, the QA guy might not have said or done anything idiotic, he's just guilty by association.

61.5 really should be higher that that. What does it show for transponders 29 and 14?

The problems almost seem like a cable/connection issue. I would be checking things like all the coax ends making sure there are no stray braids from the outer shield touching the center lead. Are you running any cables through a coax surge protector? I originally had my coax running through one and seemed to have issues so I bypassed the SP and the problems went away. I doubt the problems are reciever related but rather a disrupted signal.

Well, it does this on both of my TV's. One is connected via SVIDEO, and the other by Coax (which has a splitter so it also feeds into my ATI Capture Card)

As for checking the sat connections, they are secure as I checked them not long ago and I've been having this issue ever since having this installed 2 months ago. I don't have a coax surge protector.

The only thing I can think is that maybe HBO, or whatever channel I am trying to pause/record has a copy protection on it which is not allowing the Dish receiver to work correctly.

EDIT.....never mind you just answered my theory while I was posting....lol!!!

I agree that the signals are a little low...looks like some fine tuning may be in order since you are having problems with both receivers.

Well, he needs to get someone ELSE out there to peak the dish. There's already been 3 idiots on site. OK, the QA guy might not have said or done anything idiotic, he's just guilty by association.

61.5 really should be higher that that. What does it show for transponders 29 and 14?

61.5:
Transponder 29: 62-63
Transponder 14: 71-72

I would love for another tech to come back out, however, Dish work in my area is done by a local contractor and they only have a handful of employee's, so it's not easy to me to get a different tech.

What's strange is that on top of the tech visits, and the QA visit, one morning I woke up and I seen a Dish truck in front of my house and 2 guys in my yard looking at the Dish. They never knocked or anything... just stopped, came into my yard looking at my setup for a few minutes, then left.

Well, it does this on both of my TV's. One is connected via SVIDEO, and the other by Coax (which has a splitter so it also feeds into my ATI Capture Card)

As for checking the sat connections, they are secure as I checked them not long ago and I've been having this issue ever since having this installed 2 months ago. I don't have a coax surge protector.

The only thing I can think is that maybe HBO, or whatever channel I am trying to pause/record has a copy protection on it which is not allowing the Dish receiver to work correctly.

Okay after reading into this you said the 222k works fine.....can you try hooking up the 722 where you have the 222k connected?? This would help isolate the problem to either the signal or receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)