Wrong EPG info being shown for KXXV

cdhinch

Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Texas
There is an older post about this issue, but I didn't see any resolution to the problem and thead is now locked so forgive me for restarting an old thread.

I did contact support and let them know that the EPG info for OTA KXXV 25-1 and 25-2 is incorrect. They are both displaying guide data for PBS feeds. I do subscribe to locals and can see that the standard definition feeds for both of those channels is correct. (25-1 = 8985, 25-2 = 8993) From what I can tell is that this has been an issue for a number of years. I previoulsy had an 811 receiver and it exhibited the same problem. The tech said that she would escalate it the engineers so hopefully it will be resolved. I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue with this OTA station out of Waco.

Charles

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you. In order to ensure we are providing you with the highest level of customer satisfaction, this conversation will be recorded.

You have been connected to (24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in DVR and HD. I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: I’m very sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I’d be happy to resolve that for you. Please give me 2-3 minutes to look into this for you.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: Is this something that just started, or has this been happening consistently?

Me: It's been this way for as long as I can remember. However, I just converted to DVR and it makes recording programs difficult. The problem is on just the digital OTA channels and subchannels of KXXV 25.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: I will submit the information to our engineering department to try to get that corrected, can you tell me for example what is listed on the satellite 25 guide now & what the off air is showing on the guide?

Me: The guide data being pulled in on 25-1 and 25-2 are both PBS guide data. 25-1 is an ABC affliate and 25-2 is Telemundo.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: Thank you.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: Are you near the tv right now?

Me: 25-1 should match 8985 and 25-2 should match 8993

Me: Yes

Me: This is occuring on all of our receivers.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: Can you press menu twice on the remote for me please?

Me: ok

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: What is showing for the receiver ID & the software version?

Me: R00xxxxxxxx-xx

Me: L454RGGD-N

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: Do you have the off air channels on your other 211k receiver?

Me: Yes

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: Is it having the same issue?
Me: It has the same problem

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: Ok, thank you.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: What I will do is send detailed information to our technical operations agents here, and they will escalate this to engineering.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: Unfortunately I won't be able to give an ETA but we do appreciate this being brought to our attention.

Me: We previously had an 811 receiver and it had the same problems with it for several years.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: I see. I apologize that this has been an ongoing issue.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: Hopefully we will be able to correct the issue.
Me: Is there a ticket number associated with the issue?

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: There is no ticket # but my op id is 6a4 & I will leave a note on your account for reference if you end up speaking or chatting with another agent about this.

Me: Ok thank you.

(24DrDcb) Brandy W. 6A4: You are very welcome.

You'd probably have better luck contacting the local stations that are affected and get them to contact Dish. Safe to say, they don't call 1-800-333-DISH and choose the tech support option. They have different (better) routes of getting help.

If this has been happening for a long time, this may not be the issue, but if it's only recent, what often happens is the stations make a change in the "data", i.e. the PSIP data, and it causes a mis-match in the station's information that Dish links to in order to display guide data. That happened in Dayton maybe a year ago where a local station changed something like "22xz" to "22yz" (people with "TS Streamer" (??) could see this data and had documented the data before and after and saw the change.

Not really! I have contacted the station before and all they say is "it's not our problem" or "call Dish".

Charles

It is not Dish's responsibility, Tribune Media Services supplies the EPG info for nearly all sat and other tv guide users.

Dish cannot go thru data and pick out problems, Tribune should do that before they send it to Dish.

Send your problem to dishquality AT echostar DOT com. They have straightened out a couple locals guide issues I have had recently and even emailed back with a response about the resolution...

I just shot off an email to them. Maybe they will be able to do something about it. I also looked up the guide data on zap2it for those channels and it is correct. Zap2it is part of Tribune Media Services so I don't believe that is incorrect data from the data provider.

Charles

I am having the same problem. Go to "Program Guide Wrong" 11-24-08 10:25pm in the "dish network forum" dish network technical discussions, it will explain my issue.
I have been talking to Dish Network about this problem and they are now sending this to their engineers. I hope they fix the problem............

Tivo has the same type of problem with some of the digitals. It still list BVM (Bohemian Video Music) even though that service ceased a few months ago and now that channel has different programming, but Tivo fails to correct this. And to add to the confusion KNBC 4 has just decided (4 weeks ago) to move their NewsRaw from 4.4 to 4.2 and now airs Universal Sports at 4.4. Apparently Tribune didn't get the memo because both Dish and Tivo continue to show 4.2 as NBC Weather at ALL HOURS, and this is NOT correct. Listen, there is enough blame for all the parties involved regarding this issue, not just Dish.

This is partly Tivo and Dish's fault, and mostly Tribune's fault, as they provide guide data for both services. Both companies need to do a better job in working with Tribune to provide correct guide data, but the locals often change the programming on those channels, as well. EVERYBODY has to get their act together on this issue. I think Dish avoids the issue because they don't really have an answer either and they are not in total control as Tivo has some incorrect data, as well. Instead of saying, "We have no clue how to really fix this and Tribune seems to be of no help . . . " they just pretend as if the problem doesn't exist.

I just shot off an email to them. Maybe they will be able to do something about it. I also looked up the guide data on zap2it for those channels and it is correct. Zap2it is part of Tribune Media Services so I don't believe that is incorrect data from the data provider.

Charles

BELIEVE IT! There are probably 2 completely different computer systems handling the on-line schedule and the service to Tivo (they too have a similar problem) and Dish (and any others). Having worked on the inside of such operations, you'd be surprised at how mediocrity, laziness, plain cheapness, and the insanity of 2 different systems handling the same data, therefore, no consistency between the 2, is VERY common.

cdhinch - They told me back in June that engineering was working on a solution for the KXXV 25-1 problem.

I'm pretty annoyed at how long this is taking to fix.

I'm still not showing any difference here. Both the 2-day and 9-day guides are showing guide info for a PBS station on 25-1 (KXXV).

Charles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)