"Wrong File" trying to play back

RichardT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I get a "Wrong File" message when trying ti play back files recorded onto a Seagate hard drive. I had three files that can be played, one that gives the Wrong File message, then a sample that played back and I deleted it, now another Wrong File.

Multiple tries doesn't seem to change the dvr's mind.

What am I doing wrong? These are all immediate "Record" from the remote; I haven't yet tried setting the timer.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Richard

We assume that you are using a GEOSATpro DVR1100c? If so, this error message will be related to the formatting or incompatibility issue with the attached drive.

Is the drive larger than the recommended 500GB?

Does the drive have any automatic back-up features? If so, contact the manufacturer and determine how to disable this feature.

Is the drive formatted to FAT32 type? This can be easily done either by formatting on an Apple Computer or with a PC using free software like SwissKnife.

Has the drive been formatted using the DVR1100c prior to recording? We recommend that even after the drive is formatted Fat32 with a computer, that it is also formatted before use by the DVR1100c.

You can confirm the recording feature by performing several recordings to a USB 2.0 thumb drive. These small thumb drives usually do not have the compatibility issues found with larger drive controllers.

Heartbreaking frustration!

Yes, the 500GB hdd was formatted on the dvr. A couple of times. I haven't tried the thumb drive yet; I may later. Trying to find one of the listed compatable hdd's, but the thumb drive will be a nice testbed.

I had four opportunities to record a program I really wanted, the two-hour Fountainview Academy Christmas program. First time, on the dvr external HDD, "Wrong File" on playback attempt. Second attempt, using the output from the dvr to a stand-alone dvd recorder (dvdr) with a full hdd, trying to record to a dvd-ram disc, nothing. Third attempt, make room on the dvdr hdd and try again. The s-video cable connection was loose, and all I got was the audio. Ok, one more chance. Reinsert and check the cables, and ---heartbreaker, all I got was two hours of Glorystar channel 1.

Either the dvr-1100c has a timeout after which it goes to the Glorystar Channel, like the old Chapparal used to return to its home satellite after 6 hours, I think it was, unless that was disabled, or, I suspect more likely, the automatic update came into play.

The manual is not overly informative on some of these matters.

Question 1: What is the I-4 Channel Lock? Why should I use it, or why should I not use it?

Question 2: If the V-2 OTA automatic update feature is turned off for a period of time and later turned on, will it "catch up" all the bypassed updates?

Question 3: If a timer recording happens to overlap a return to Glorystar channel 1, which is given priority? (I am thinking here of setting the timer on the dvr as well as the dvdr to "firewall" the channel so that the dvr is on the correct channel as it feeds the dvdr at recording time. Should work, if the timer is given priority.)

Edit: Just read on another post about the automatic update on Monday night; my dvdr timer recording was Tuesday 6:00am PST!

Thank you, and Healthy and Happy 2010.

Richard

Last edited:
Either the dvr-1100c has a timeout after which it goes to the Glorystar Channel, like the old Chapparal used to return to its home satellite after 6 hours, I think it was, unless that was disabled, or, I suspect more likely, the automatic update came into play.
The DVR1100c stays on the tuned channel unless it receives new firmware or channel list. If new channel list or firmware is received, the receiver restarts on Glorystar Channel 1 in order to sync the time.

Question 1: What is the I-4 Channel Lock? Why should I use it, or why should I not use it?
Turn ON the channel lock feature if you only wish to allow viewing of the specific channel when a password is entered.

Question 2: If the V-2 OTA automatic update feature is turned off for a period of time and later turned on, will it "catch up" all the bypassed updates?
Updates will be to the newest available firmware. The updates do not need to be received and updated in sequence. We would not recommend that the OTA update be turned off unless you are wishing to add channels which are not included in the updated channel lists, do not wish to automatically update the channel list or firmware.

Question 3: If a timer recording happens to overlap a return to Glorystar channel 1, which is given priority? (I am thinking here of setting the timer on the dvr as well as the dvdr to "firewall" the channel so that the dvr is on the correct channel as it feeds the dvdr at recording time. Should work, if the timer is given priority.)
The OTA-SSU check occurs at 3am local time. If the DVR is recording, the recording will be completed prior to the automatic update (firmware or channel list) being performed. If you wish to record externally, be sure to set a channel selection timer on the receiver prior to the record start time.

Heartbreaking frustration!

Yes, the 500GB hdd was formatted on the dvr. A couple of times. I haven't tried the thumb drive yet; I may later. Trying to find one of the listed compatable hdd's, but the thumb drive will be a nice testbed.

We understand that the hdd was formatted by the DVR, but was the drive formatted by a PC or Mac first?

The hdd factory formatting may not be compatible and require a formatting using software like SwissKnife on a PC or on a Mac.

Thanks, Brian, for your helpful answer.

We understand that the hdd was formatted by the DVR, but was the drive formatted by a PC or Mac first?

The hdd factory formatting may not be compatible and require a formatting using software like SwissKnife on a PC or on a Mac.

And thanks Goldstar1.

No, the Seagate was not formatted by computer after I got it new. I formatted on the dvr before trying any recording. Early on, I was able to read the recording, then an occasional "Wrong File", now it seems "Wrong File" every time.

I'm looking to replace the Seagate because the playback, when I did get it, was somewhat "jerky". I want to try the memory stick when I can get one available.

If I can use the dvr as a reliable input device for the stand-alone dvd recorder, like I've done for years using the SkyAngel system, I should be ok. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for a compatable hdd for the dvr. Thanks again. Happy New Year.

The jerky playback could also be either the drive formatting or a USB cable. We would recommend that you swap USB2.0 cables and or format the drive with a complete FAT32 format with a PC or Mac then format again with your receiver. All of this could be an issue with the factory Seagate formatting.

Hi again; thanks for the help and suggestions.

I tried changing the cable and used a memory stick. With 3 PC-written files on the stick, I tried a short manual recording. The dvr recorded and played back the dvr recording.

Still using the replacement cable, I formatted the external hdd on the PC, Windows XP. It didn't offer a FAT choice on the PC, but when I reformatted again on the dvr, it said FAT32. It played back, using the replacement cable AND using the ORIGINAL cable. I'll try more testing, since the first few tests I ran when initially installed were successful, then I started getting the Wrong File errors, at first irregularly, then consistently.

Thanks again for your help.

Still using the replacement cable, I formatted the external hdd on the PC, Windows XP. It didn't offer a FAT choice on the PC, but when I reformatted again on the dvr, it said FAT32.

Most likely the file errors issue will return if you do not take a few minutes and do a complete deep level format of the hdd on your PC. Going back to post #2 of this thread, we STRONGLY suggest that you format the drive using your PC running formatting software such as
SwissKnife -DOWNLOAD HERE
or another formatting type of software for a PC which supports FAT32. Mac Computers automatically format and support FAT32 farmatting, so no additional software is required.

The DVR performs a quick level FAT32 format of a drive and may not correct directory incompatibility errors in the factory hdd formatting. Formatting first with a Mac or a PC (running formatting software which supports FAT32) then with the DVR1100c will usually correct the file directory errors.

I formatted the Seagate using SwissKnife. It said something about Quick Format. I didn't see any other option; if there is, how do I access a full or deep format? It formatted for FAT32. Then formatted on the dvr1100c, FAT32.

Timer recorded three programs, which I can bring up with the PLAY. The three titles show, with 2405 MB and date, 3608 MB and date, and 2404MB and date. But when I select any of the three and press OK, I get "Wrong File", sometimes immediately, sometimes after a brief notice that it has to access the USB. ???

• Issue continues after formatting the drive on a PC and reformatting on the DVR1100c.
This drive has now been properly configured for use with the DVR1100c.

• Issue cannot be replicated on an USB thumb drive.

Your testing would indicate that this model of Seagate drive has compatibility issues.

Thank You. I'll continue searching for one of the listed compatible ones. Maybe my wife can use the Seagate with her new laptop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts