Wrong Multiswitch?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jgrahamiii

Original poster
May 24, 2004
I recently had a 3 room/1 Tivo Directv system installed professionally. It came with a triple LNB dish with 4 outputs built in (all used by the sysem installed). I knew from the start that I would be changing one of the standard receivers to a Tivo, and so paid the installer extra to add a fifth line for the second input. He told me he was going to add a second 2X4 switch, taking two of the outputs from the dish into the second switch, giving me a total of 6 outputs. Well, as you already know, that did not work. I don't even know if he gave me the second switch, or jus left the fifth line on the roof, unconnected, and, of course, he doesn't answer the phone number he gave us in case of a problem. But it is clear I get no signal on the 5th wire.

What is my best solution here that I can do myself? At this point, I only really use the first satellite, but while not an expert, I guess that does not matter. I need a 4X? switch, I assume to make this work. I need at least a 4X6, I guess, assuming that exists. I"ve seen some 4X8's, but these all require DC power. I don't really want to run an extension cord up on my roof, but that is the only place where all four feeds are in the same place. Is there some other option?

Thanks!

If you are looking for a 4x8 multiswitch, the best one is made by Zinwell. They are the same company that makes the Channel Master multiswitches for the origrnal 3 lnb oval dishes. They are weather resistant. However, they are not weatherproof.

The best weather resiatant power supplies use "F" connectors and power supplied through a separate RG6 coax from a 18-24 volt transformer.

Because of the current high quality of environmentally sealed connectors, like the Snap-N-Seal ones, it it very unlikely that you will have any problems with this design.

Sounds like you got one of those run of the mill fulfillmenmt installers with a bag of tools, a ladder and one day of on the job training.

If you cannot find the switch I mention, send me a Private Message. I can send you one at close to wholesale.

I saw a Zinwell 4X8 for about $80. Is that reasonable?

I was also advised by someone, that I should be able to hook up a 3X4 switch (and so presumable a 2X4 switch) to to of the feeds, but the 4 new feeds would be locked to Sat 101. That would probably be all I need at this stage, and the cost is under $30. Would this work? Thanks.

Since a buy a lot of them and install them for my customers, I get them for about $30 less.

Right on the second quastion. Also, I can get those for about $15. Not all of them are the same. Some are better than others. I can get some high end all solid state ones for about $20, similar to the industry best, which is Spaun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts