Wwstern Arc and pixalization

kvnfl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
SWFL
To get BBC HD Dish replaced a two dish system with one Western Arc Dish labeled Turbo HD. Certain channels started to pixalate immediately. It was not full screen pixalization, but rather localized pixalization. Three weeks later Dish sent another Technician to re-point the dish, but I am still experiencing frequent localized pixalization. Is this just the way it is with Western Arc? Or should call and schedule another re-pointing?

Did they switch you from 61.5/110/119 to 110/119/129? If so, 129 is at a low-enough elevation that you might have an obstructed LOS. (Dish's contractor did this to me once with a simple Dish 500 installation.) When you're seeing pixelization, hit the remote Menu 6-1-1 and tell us what you see for satellite, transponder, and signal strength. Also note how much the SS varies from second to second, which may indicate tree branches blowing in the wind. :eek:

Last edited:
Did they switch you from 61.5/110/119 to 110/119/129? If so, 129 is at a low-enough elevation that you might have no unobstructed LOS. (Dish's contractor did this to me once with a simple Dish 500 installation.) When you're seeing pixelization, hit the remote Menu 6-1-1 and tell us what you see for satellite, transponder, and signal strength. Also note how much the SS varies from second to second, which may indicate tree branches blowing in the wind. :eek:
Thanks for the quick response. I am surrounded by trees. That might well be the problem. It occurs mainly on HD locals which were on 61.5. Are they on 129 now? And if you got the problem fixed, how?

Thanks for the quick response. I am surrounded by trees. That might well be the problem. It occurs mainly on HD locals which were on 61.5. Are they on 129 now? And if you got the problem fixed, how?
If you really have a Western Arc dish and you still get them at all, they are. There are a number of DMAs which can be served from either arc.

I'm in an Eastern Arc (only) DMA, so the approved Dish solution was an Eastern Arc dish. Even from northern VA, that's very high in the sky so it's relatively easy to shoot over the trees. If you had HD locals off 61.5, I can't imagine why they gave you a Western Arc dish rather than an Eastern Arc dish. It can't be that much cheaper.

No matter what, there should not be pixelization. That is not "normal." It indicates some kind of interruption of the signal, and even at a 30 degree angle trees could possibly be an issue if the dish is mounted close to a tall enough tree. Trees are not an issue if there is room for the signal to clear the tree tops, and this requires enough distance between the dish and the trees. It may not be an obstruction directly in front of the dish, but from the sides...and possibly only if the wind is blowing a certain direction (causing a branch to move back and forth.)

Even though the dish is situated in SW FL, both installers said it is a Western Arc area. Trees are at least 100 yards in the distance from the dish. Have not yet monitored signals - thank the new puppy for that one. If you say pixelization should not occur ever, that is what I needed to know. Guess I will call for third technician today and hope it is the charm. Thanks.

f you say pixelization should not occur ever, that is what I needed to know.
Busdriver72 said that. I say this. "Pixelization should occur only very rarely, such as when a tremendous thunderstorm comes between you and the satellite." Because of the lower elevation angle to 129, this can occur more frequently than it does for 61.5 here in the east. You might not even notice that there is a thunderstorm way out there to the west, but your satellite reception might be hurting. For 61.5, I have noticed that the thunderstorm has to be right on top of my house to fade out that signal. When I was mixed-arc 61.5/110/119, and I was watching something, 119 would go out first. Shortly thereafter, 110 became unwatchable. Then, usually when both 119 and 110 came back, then 61.5 would go out. But losing 61.5 was much less frequent than the former.

It sure sounds like trees are not the problem, since they are so far away from your antenna. I sitll recommend the signal strength test, particularly looking at second-to-second variation that might be tree branches blowing in the wind. If it is one of your own trees, you can have it topped. I had my maple tree topped and it's been great for 5 years. Or possibly your dish just needs re-peaking. But if so, one wonders why the installers can't get it right on try #1. Anyhow, good luck!

Okay, I stand corrected....in certain conditions pixelization will occur, such as bad weather, thunder clouds, etc. But if conditions are good, then...no.
I just presumed that was understood. Sorry about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)