XBOX 360 and Wifi

trido

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2004
Southern indiana
Has anyone used a USB wi fi adapter other than the 99 dollar Microsoft ?

I had a dlink but no go didnt work

trido

I don't know if it's an option, but wired is the best route to go. I've had nothing but headaches keeping some WiFi connections online. I wonder if wireless introduces additional latency?

Has anyone used a USB wi fi adapter other than the 99 dollar Microsoft ?

I had a dlink but no go didnt work

trido

I know a ton of people who have it and they have no issues. However wired is always the preferred connection if you can do it.

I don't know if it's an option, but wired is the best route to go. I've had nothing but headaches keeping some WiFi connections online. I wonder if wireless introduces additional latency?

It does. Wireless is great for web browsing since latency while viewing static web pages isn't an issue but really sucks for gaming where the 1 second lag will get you killed.

It does. Wireless is great for web browsing since latency while viewing static web pages isn't an issue but really sucks for gaming where the 1 second lag will get you killed.

Wireless connections certainly don't cause that much latency. I have maintained constant 40-50ms pings in all kinds of games over a wireless connection. I can't vouch for the xbox 360 set up cause I would never pay $99 for that $15 piece of equipment. THAT's how they GETCHA!

I think $15 is much more than it cost to make that adapter. I got a wireless bridge unit for my 360 for $20 at BB. Worked great, but then I rewired stuff and ran new network cabling to the HT room and it works even better wired.

Wireless connections certainly don't cause that much latency. I have maintained constant 40-50ms pings in all kinds of games over a wireless connection. I can't vouch for the xbox 360 set up cause I would never pay $99 for that $15 piece of equipment. THAT's how they GETCHA!

Try checking your ping times while the 2.4 GHz phone, cellphone, or microwave is in use near the gaming adapter or router. I highly doubt you will still have your 40-50ms ping times since they all operate around the 2Ghz frequency.

Microwave oven = 2.45GHz (How a microwave works)
Cellphone = 800 - 900 mhz, PCS phones =1.85 GHz - 1.99 GHz (How Cell Phones Work)
Wi-Fi Router = 2.4GHz (Right on the front of the box)

Wires definitely work better.

Try checking your ping times while the 2.4 GHz phone, cellphone, or microwave is in use near the gaming adapter or router. I highly doubt you will still have your 40-50ms ping times since they all operate around the 2Ghz frequency.

Microwave oven = 2.45GHz (How a microwave works)
Cellphone = 800 - 900 mhz, PCS phones =1.85 GHz - 1.99 GHz (How Cell Phones Work)
Wi-Fi Router = 2.4GHz (Right on the front of the box)

Wires definitely work better.

No one is doubting that wired is better. You said 1 second lag. I disagreed. We use 5.8ghz phones at my house and it's not a McDonalds so our microwave is only used a couple minutes per day. I'm not getting into some stupid wired vs wireless thing. I've played games over wireless for years and don't need any lectures.

No one is doubting that wired is better. You said 1 second lag. I disagreed. We use 5.8ghz phones at my house and it's not a McDonalds so our microwave is only used a couple minutes per day. I'm not getting into some stupid wired vs wireless thing. I've played games over wireless for years and don't need any lectures.

Whatever dude, not everyone has 5.8 GHz phones like you. And your home doesn't have to be McDonald's for the microwave being used more than a couple of minutes a day. With 5 people in the house and friends on the weekends the microwave does get quite a bit of use.

And 5.8 GHZ phones still interfere with wireless 2.4GHZ signals (wireless G for sure). My cordless phone is 5.8, and every time I would pick up the phone and press talk, it would drop my wireless connection to one of my computers (my other computer was wired).

So I ran a network cable to a hub and one network cable to my 360 and the other to my other computer.

But, no, I don't think wireless connections increases latency, if any maybe in the Ms range.

And to the OP, I tried several different wireless adapters on my 360 and none of them worked. So I went with $20 50' network cable at Wal-Mart (and a hub that I already had). I think they did this so you'd have to pay $100 for their adapter.

Last edited:
And 5.8 GHZ phones still interfere with wireless 2.4GHZ signals (wireless G for sure). My cordless phone is 5.8, and every time I would pick up the phone and press talk, it would drop my wireless connection to one of my computers (my other computer was wired).

And to the OP, I tried several different wireless adapters on my 360 and none of them worked. So I went with $20 50' network cable at Wal-Mart (and a hub that I already had). I think they did this so you'd have to pay $100 for their adapter.

I've never had an issue like that with my phones. You are right about the USB adapters. 360 is designed to only work with the MS USB wifi adapter. There is a some kind of block on all other brands.

Doesn't help when your neighbors have 2.4 phones or use their microwaves...

Amen. My 360 is hardwired to our router, while our Wii uses the wireless connection via a Range Extender. The Wii flakes out the connection a lot, while the 360 connection is rock solid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)