xbox 360 vs ps3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mdntblu

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Corona, CA
I have an xbox 360 which I love. I was at a friends last night playing ps3 for the first time. I have to say that I wasn't that impressed.

1. PS3 controllers seem too small compared to xbox. I was getting cramps in my hands trying to drive a vehicle on motorstorm. I have played hours and hours of DiRT and PG3 and never had this problem. Also they are not triggers like on xbox and I believe they are not variable either. Like on xbox when you press the trigger halfway you get half throttle. PS3 is either on or off.

2. There is no rumble - which I like on my xbox.

3. The menu system is not very pretty or appealing. friends lists, demos, etc.

4. the online is horrible. Hopefully the new thing they are setting up will be better.

Last edited:
I think Home will be attractive for many, but I do not think it will be a viable competitor for Live unless you can quickly navigate options... having to walk around to do things might be more of a hinderance than a convenience once the ooh and aah factor wears off.

We shall see. Agree with most of the other points, but that's because I liked the original Xbox Duke controllers as a natural progression from my Dreamcast.

What's wrong with runble? Pretty sure you can disable it on the 360 in a menu somewhere, probably in your individual profile. Rumble is on Sony for messing up, they're finally reintroducing that now that they'll legally in the clear. If they really wanted to 'make it right' they'd exchange all the non-rumble controllers for PS3 owners. Would be their biggest piece of press since launch.

I honestly think for PS3 online to be free, its not all that bad, so far my online experience been great, but I agree, it needs lots of work to make messaging and other stuff fast like what the 360 has.
I love my PS3 to death and so I love my 360.
One of the many things I like about the PS3 Navigator is the demo/preview thing, the video is rolling while you select the demo you want to play, at the same time there are bunch of windows with the video preview on, I love that feature, 4-5 windows and 4-5 videos rolling at the same time.

1. PS3 controllers seem too small compared to xbox.
I like the controller, it's been the same thing for all three iterations. Consistency is nice.
I actually prefer controllers to be smaller, I bought smaller controller for the gamecube/wii, as the wavebird was huge.
And actually imported an Xbox controller from Japan, as the original was a monster. Thankfully Microsoft saw the light and got rid of it.

Sorry, but I don't get the purpose of this thread.... it's not really a 360 vs PS3 comparison, it's just what your personal preference is. Here are my impressions:

1. PS3 controllers are great. And yes, there is a "throttle-like" action, at least on the bottom (L2/R2) buttons.

2. There is no rumble - which I couldn't care less about.

3. The menu system is pretty cool, especially the way that the icons are actually videos...

4. The online works great for me - I have no problems with it.

I'm interested in doing my own comparison come this holiday season, but as to two points...

1) Controller. I have to say, it took some adjustment to get used to the much larger Xbox controllers after having been quite comfortable w/ the Dual Shock 2s on my PS2. The newer Xbox 360 controller is very solid, but the smaller PS2/3 controllers are and have always been a fav of mine--no comfort issues here. You're just used to what you're used to.

And, btw, rumble is coming back--early '08, Rumble Shock 3s will be hitting the States. They're due in Japan this month.

2) The menu system. Based on what I've seen in using a PSP for years now, I think its highly functional and aesthetically tasty. Again--just what you're used to. The 'blade' system on the 360 is well-designed and functional, too (except when they splatter ads all over the place--which junks it up, imho).

Overall, I think the PS3 is a 'sleeper' system...it has loads of potential just waiting for the killer apps to exploit it.

Similarly, the PSP was lambasted left and right and is only now coming into its own--and I can vouch that it is A) a great piece of hardware, B) its got some great games, and C) its one of the most flexible portable devices out there...I can watch movies (pre-packaged UMDs and ripped), listen to music, play games, get on the web and stream content to it (when I get a PS3). It was a value investment that, over time, has paid off...proof in the pudding to building a platform on forward-thinking specs/capabilities. Now that it's cheaper, its selling briskly.

Last edited:
I have both. I play all games on 360 and the PS3 is for Blu-ray movies. Biggest reason is the 360 came first and it has acheivements.

Before either one came out, I told myself I'd wait until the PS3 is out and then make a decision. That didn't work. Bought a 360 and don't regret it. Right now 360 has the better titles and Xbox Live. Purshased a 2nd one for the kids. No desire to own a PS3 at this point.

I have a 360 (currently on its way to TX for repair) and I am going to be getting a ps3 for BR movies. Are there any games for ps3 that are worth buying?

I have a Wii and PS3.

I like the quality of the BR movies. The 1080p upconversion is very nice as well.

IF HD-DVD wins the format war I will trade the PS3 in for a 360 and get a stand alone HD-DVD player. That's a big IF though.

My son (16) wants a 360. If I buy it is it going to die on me like I hear everyone post? Everyone seems happy even though they are sending the game back for repair. Can anyone tell me if I buy one for Christmas I wont regret it?

360 is well worth the money, even if it fails they ship you a box and ship a box back to you.. its fairly quick and has a 3 year warrenty on the worst issue that was happening..

Mine died 7 weeks into owning it (disc drive locked up)...they sent me a replacement. It was all good, but I was without a system for 3 weeks AND they don't seem to have a policy for pro rating your Live Gold membership for the time your offliine...which sucks.

I've thouroughly enjoyed my 360 otherwise, however. I say go for it.

Mine died 7 weeks into owning it (disc drive locked up)...they sent me a replacement. It was all good, but I was without a system for 3 weeks AND they don't seem to have a policy for pro rating your Live Gold membership for the time your offliine...which sucks.

I've thouroughly enjoyed my 360 otherwise, however. I say go for it.

Each of my replacements have had a 1 month live card attached to the plastic covering the console.

They didnt give me a box on my 306, didnt credit my live, i had to pay for shipping, they later refunded the repair fee when they extended the warranty, still cost me $20 to ship it in.

When it was close to die a second time, i traded it for a PS3 and dont regret it one bit. I enjoy the games, I enjoy not having to pay for online, I know i am in the minority, but beleive me, I know that Sony is behind this for the long term, they stuck with the PSP and now its a solid alternative to the Gameboy...

My son (16) wants a 360. If I buy it is it going to die on me like I hear everyone post? Everyone seems happy even though they are sending the game back for repair. Can anyone tell me if I buy one for Christmas I wont regret it?

If you have a Costco in your area, buy it from them, they have a 90 day warranty on their stuff for free, if anything goes wrong just return it to them and they will get you a brand new one.

I'd rather buy my consoles at Costco than any other places, because honestly I am not a big fan of EB/Gamestop/BB/CC.

If you have a Costco in your area, buy it from them, they have a 90 day warranty on their stuff for free, if anything goes wrong just return it to them and they will get you a brand new one.

I'd rather buy my consoles at Costco than any other places, because honestly I am not a big fan of EB/Gamestop/BB/CC.

Better yet - Sams Club because they have no return policy rules. Anytime you want you can exchange it. When mine breaks I will return it and get an Elite. I got mine over a year ago and play it almost everyday and it still hasn't broke. And I play heavy graphics games like Halo, Rainbow Six, COD, etc.
I'm happy with mine.

Each of my replacements have had a 1 month live card attached to the plastic covering the console.

Mine didn't ('repair' was done back in Jan of this year). Perhaps this was instituted later, as the groundswell of repairs continued and they smelled a class action...

I would take folks advice and buy yours at CostCo. I bought mine at MicroCenter after Thanksgiving last year, taking advantage of a special on 360s they were running at the time. I was planning on buying my PS3 through Amazon this holiday season, but might change my tune for these return/exchange reasons (although the PS3 doesn't seem to be having anywhere near the failure rates as the Xbox).

the 90 day policy dosent apply to videogame hardware so you can return it whenever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts