Xbox does second round of 360s

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
Those who missed out on the early Xbox 360 mania may get a second chance this week to find the new game system in stores.

Meanwhile, among those who managed to purchase the first systems, a small percentage already are shipping them back to Microsoft for repairs.

Major retailers such as Wal-Mart and Best Buy ran out within hours of last Tuesday's launch.

"We knew demand would outstrip supply for some time," says Circuit City's Jim Babb. "I have been told we'll get additional supplies, so I can only advise customers keep checking back with stores and on the website."

Microsoft's Molly O'Donnell says the company has "a weekly replenishment strategy." The first follow-up shipment "is on the way, and it should be on retailers' shelves by the end of the week or for the weekend."

Microsoft won't say how many of the $300-and-up systems were available at launch. American Technology Research analyst P.J. McNealy estimates 300,000 to 400,000 have been sold. The company expects to ship as many as 3 million worldwide within three months; the 360 launches in Europe Friday and Japan Dec. 10.

While Microsoft benefits from the buzz created by quick sellouts, McNealy says, "I think they would have been happy to have sold another million if they could have. They just didn't have them."

Meanwhile, Microsoft is acting quickly to address early reports of crashes and glitches. "We are doing everything we can to take care of gamers who are having problems," says O'Donnell, who says the rate of complaints is below the 3% to 5% expected with new electronics products. (Those with problems should call 1-800-4MY-XBOX.)

Online message boards have reflected a number of technical issues, including hardware failure (indicated by three red lights on the power button), freezing games, scratched discs and overheated power supplies.

"As soon as the actual gameplay starts, it locks up," says owner Clayton Leasure, 26, of Knoxville, Tenn. He called the support line and was sent a prepaid box to use to ship his console back. "They have been helpful and prompt, so I can't ask for much more," he says.

Not all customers are satisfied. "The level of incompetence I have had to deal with is unbelievable," says Brian Smith, 48, of Owasso, Okla., who is trying to get a new power supply. "I can't describe how disappointed I've been."

Still, Richard Doherty of tech consulting firm Envisioneering Group gives Microsoft an "A" grade for the launch so far. "It could be an A plus if they pull through Christmas with this just being misuse or a misconception," Doherty says. "Do you want to wait six more months for an A plus? Not the gamers I saw in line on Tuesday."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051129/tc_usatoday/xboxdoessecondroundof360s;_ylt=AlAc2UqRNsqjwJtg7yS2tSEjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

I talked to all the usual suspects- BESTBUY, Circuit City, Fry's Sam's etx and none have an idea if or when more will be released.

Last edited:
Let me guess, on the phone? If I worked there i'd lie to you guys too. I'd rather shoot myself than answer the phone at a bestbuy...

Most stores get them on wednesdays, show up early on a wednesday and get lucky. Try a 24 hour store real early and you should have no problem. If it wasn't 10 degrees i'd go to kmart tomorrow and check for you guys...

Those that show up at the stores that didnt know that they were getting the shipment in/didn't say would give you a good chance at getting one if your there. This is not good for those that live a ways from the store though. Some people do not feel like making a long drive for nothing over and over.

Best Buy is telling their personnel that a good sized allocation will be available on Sunday 12/18. It sounds like it will be roughly equal in size to their original allotments (30-150 per store depending on yearly volume)

Purogamer said:
Let me guess, on the phone? If I worked there i'd lie to you guys too. I'd rather shoot myself than answer the phone at a bestbuy...

Most stores get them on wednesdays, show up early on a wednesday and get lucky. Try a 24 hour store real early and you should have no problem. If it wasn't 10 degrees i'd go to kmart tomorrow and check for you guys...

No in person..I have heard the 9th may be a magic day

I was at EB games where I preordered back in June, and they have not recieved any offical word on when the next shipment will arrive. All I need is for them to get at least 10, that's where I'm on the list. :)

If the weather wasn't straight out of "The Day After Tomorrow" i'd go to bestbuy and check for ya...I may spend all of december indoors...

Found this on bestbuy's website...Interesting...

TO: Open Letter to Customers
RE: Launch of Xbox 360
CC: Best Buy Store, District and Territory Employees
DATE: December 6, 2005

I'm writing to apologize.

While all of us at Best Buy were thrilled to be part of the recent launch of Microsoft's Xbox 360 video game system — one of the most anticipated events in the history of electronic gaming — the launch did not go as we had hoped. We sold out of Xbox 360s nationwide in less than two hours, and most of our stores did an outstanding job of serving our gaming customers. I'd like to thank the majority of our employees, who provided a terrific experience for customers at the launch date. However, our promotional activities in certain cases failed to follow company guidelines. As a result, some of our valued gaming customers had an experience in our stores that was inconsistent with what you've come to expect from us, as a leader in the consumer electronics industry.

Specifically, customers in some Best Buy stores were told that they were required to buy additional Xbox accessories or services if they wanted one of the sought-after Xbox 360 consoles, even though we advertised the Xbox 360 console alone. I want to be very clear that Best Buy does not condone pressuring customers to purchase items they may not want or that may not fit their lifestyle. In fact, these behaviors are in direct conflict with our desire to serve customers' needs better than anyone else, and our values of honesty and integrity.

We are currently investigating all leads about promotional practices that may have violated the company's guidelines, and we will take disciplinary actions as appropriate. We have also reminded all of our stores about our policies with respect to launches of hot products. Meanwhile, on behalf of Best Buy, I'd like to offer a sincere apology to any customers who felt pressured to buy items they did not want.

Customers who are unhappy with Xbox 360-related purchases made in November 2005 may return unwanted items for a full refund at any Best Buy store. In addition, if your Xbox 360 purchasing experience did not meet your expectations for any reason, please e-mail us at xbox360@bestbuy.com. (Employees with information pertinent to our investigation are encouraged to call our Ethics Hot Line instead.)

Lastly, I would like to invite you back to our stores, particularly later this month, when Best Buy will receive more shipments of Xbox 360s. While supplies continue to be very limited, we are truly excited about this new gaming platform, and we'd like to deliver the best of that experience to you. We promise an in-store experience that is focused on your needs and the needs of everyone on your holiday gift list.

Brian Dunn

Great... does this count for those of us who had to pay for a stripped down Madden 06 in their mandated online bundle? I already opened it so I'm screwed, but this has been the biggest launch title disappointment so far.

On the flip side, Call of Duty 2 is worth twice what they are charging for it. Wow, not since Doom first came out have I needed a few minutes to decompress after finishing a mission...

i believe you can take it back even if it is opened. best buy higher ups are not happy with the best buy's that did this.

This was done by their online unit. EVERY bundle had Madden 06 in it. You had no choice. I already had Madden 06 on my original XBox and it was just OK.

I had to do the same thing 4 years ago with the original XBox. Oddworld was one of the games I was forced to buy from EBGames with their bundle. Wound up selling it back to them for 10 cents on the dollar as a USED game, even though it never had been in my console.

I'll see what happens.... I'll try to return it this weekend....

i got my first xbox from kmart and just was able to buy the system. i got the 360 from wal mart online and was forced to buy the year xbox live, plug and play kit, extra controller and two games. i was able to choose the games at least.

Wow, you got the 360?
There are so many rumors and "i don't knows" out there as to when the next shipment is, that I am just about fed up with them. You'd think they have more on hand for us the USA. People keep saying that they are holding back to build up demand and drive up the price, but the only people driving up the prices are on ebay. If they don't get the next shipment out soon, i think people will start saying that they will wait for PS3 instead...

The problem is that they tried to launch North America, Europe, and Asia in the same month. They could have 6 plants manufacturing the things and it wouldn't be enough. Factor in the Tickle me Elmofication of the things, and 50% of the available supply is being flipped for a 100% profit on EBay.

Little Timmy will be heartbroken on Dec. 25th, but more will come online in 1Q2006.

Guys, it's the 10th, you've got 2 more weeks to get one for christmas and there will be some in stores if you're willling to put in a little bit of effort. Calling bestbuy once a week doesn't cut it...

I'd suggest printing the letter (and it's URL) whenyou go to bestbuy to complain, they won't have a leg to stand on...

I'll start to sweat in the next week or so. This is truly a pathetic launch though, preordered 6 months ago when you could first do so, and still waiting.

My son will be bummed, but he also knows about the shortages.