XM cutting out a lot lately

skottey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Denver Metro, CO
Yet again today my XM radio is cutting out and shows one bar of signal. I'm in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and the weather has been fine and usually is lately during these cut outs. Whether listening to talk or a song, it is unbearable to have it drop out repeatedly.

Before somebody says it is my radio, please consider the fact that it will do it for about a day and then be fine for a few days or weeks and then do it again another day. This happens on both our radios in two different cars on the same days, so I doubt both radios are going bad.

Anybody else having this problem on 7-15-09?

Thanks... spare the "it's your radio" comments please. Just reply if you are having the problem too and what part of the country you are located in. Thanks.

Last edited:
I sometimes have that trouble here in the Chicago area but it mainly happens when there's strong wind blowing through the leaves of the trees near where I am.

Reception Problems

I have noticed the same exact issue you are describing....horrible reception dropping out,about every 3 to 5 seconds.
In fact I had that issue for three days,but not now

what are you mainly listening to on xm ?

Well... it happens on any station or it doesn't happen at all. For example I listen to First Wave lately for my New Order and Depeche Mode fix.... it cuts out.... I listen to Octane.... it cuts out.... I listen to Area (I miss the System).... it cuts out.... 80's channel.... it cuts out.... Grateful Dead channel.... it cuts out (talk about a bad trip). For talk I listen to Fox News Talk and it cuts out. Spare your political comments please.

My radio was better yesterday, so I'll have to see how it is today and tomorrow. Maybe the problem has been fixed.

I have noticed this in the Birmingham area. It appears that several of the repeaters around here are no longer active.