XM Merger Not a Done Deal

i vote for leaving it here since ths thread was always about the prospects ofa deal. but y vote counts for nothing.

I know pay $110.00 per year with XM and get all of their channels.

If we have to pay for each station at $2.00 per month for each station-- then If I subscribe to only ten stations-- my Yearly fee would be $200.00 for only ten stations.

That is a rate increase.:(

Good god man, then just cancel your freakin' service. You sound like a freakin' cheapskate.

I don't care if it doubles, if I get double the content, it's worth it.

MERGE NOW!

As a dual sub, I am really interested to know what will be considered the "best of" channels. If XM is able to add most of the Sirius channels I like (just a handful, really) then I would be willing to drop Sirius and its obsolete hardware like a hot potato and move back to XM with the Sirius add on package. It would be cheaper and I would be happier with using XM hardware only.

(FWIW, I wonder if they can more or less immediately give all subs complete online access to XM & Sirius services, as this would seem to be relatively cost neutral. I think it would create great public perception and great marketing, and would allow them to start getting an idea of what channels people prefer listening to when both services are available on a more or less equal basis, within the same tuner/software platform. This should help the combined entity to know which channels should be consolidated and which are unique enough to be worth preserving.)

Come on already

This is totally insaine the amount of time this has taken. By delaying their votes this long, they hoped that one if not both, would go out of business. Why? Because old fashion radio has given the members of the FCC a ton of cash to stand on their side.

I believe this may go through now as both companies, while badly bleeding, are still here, and it is now making national news on how long it has taken.

It will not be a monopoly, as consumers can get music from a variety of places. If they raise prices, people will drop the service. Hence, they will not raise prices. Come on people, simple supply and demand stuff!!

Does anybody have any idea as to what they will offer to people who have a "Sirius lifetime" membership. My guess would be that they will only allow those people to keep their sirius stations, with No option for ala cart, unless the customer agrees to pay more.

Ultimately this will be 'good' for consumers because without the merger, they both would go bankrupt. There will either be a merger or there will be no satellite radio.

a la carte will be available and a viable option for those folks that only want about 10% of the channel now being offered.... If you listen to about 50% of the channels, then the package deals will wind up being cheaper....

I just want the deal to get done so we can finally get some dual service radios produced....

I know pay $110.00 per year with XM and get all of their channels.

If we have to pay for each station at $2.00 per month for each station-- then If I subscribe to only ten stations-- my Yearly fee would be $200.00 for only ten stations.

That is a rate increase.:(

What are you talking about? Have you even read the rate plan? It's been around for many months.

The initial impact to current subscribers is zero, unless they initiate a change.

What are you talking about? Have you even read the rate plan? It's been around for many months.

The initial impact to current subscribers is zero, unless they initiate a change.

Yes I have read the rate plans and gueess what they no longer apply. The FCC has placed new conditons on the merger.

One of the conditions is that the new Sirus Xm company will have to pay the FCC 20 Million Dollar. That is why I believe the FCC went for Al Lacarte. This is the only way to allow for a rate increase to cover the fees while it make it look like the FCC is concerned about the public and not about the DOE RAY ME. :eek:

what makes you say they no longer apply? Let's see what:
a) The FCC actually imposes
b) The company (new merged entity) ACTUALLY says after all is said/done.

I don't think they will tolerate the backlash if they don't do what they said a year ago.

Yes I have read the rate plans and gueess what they no longer apply. The FCC has placed new conditons on the merger.

One of the conditions is that the new Sirus Xm company will have to pay the FCC 20 Million Dollar. That is why I believe the FCC went for Al Lacarte. This is the only way to allow for a rate increase to cover the fees while it make it look like the FCC is concerned about the public and not about the DOE RAY ME. :eek:

Part of the deal is a rate freeze for three years.....

Ease up, Chicken Little. The sky is just fine, thank you.

Any "logic" in the "fine?" Isn't it just requiring a payoff to approve? Something that if a private company did, someone could go to jail for?

They apparently have repeaters that aren't in full compliance, FM xmitters that are too "hot", and some other stuff, so yes, it appears that the fines are justified.

They apparently have repeaters that aren't in full compliance, FM xmitters that are too "hot", and some other stuff, so yes, it appears that the fines are justified.

THAT IS MADE UP---THIS PROBLEM HAPPENED SEVERAL YEARS AGE WHICH XM WAS FINED FOR AT THAT TIME. If I remeber correctly. Why bring up old news now??

This is just a game play to help justify the blackmail.

If we want to keep our current rate plan EG stay with XM or Sirus then for the next three years their will be no increase.

If you want to have both XM and Sirus programs then your rate will go up.

Also if you stay with your current program option you may find less channels as this merger moves forward.

The bad thing XM did was some of their receivers XM transmitter signal was to strong thus interfering with some broadcast. In other words you would have to be right next to the car to get the XM station on your FM station if you FM station was tuned into--etc this whole thing was nuts three years ago and it is nuts now

I just wished this blackmail never happen.

Any "logic" in the "fine?" Isn't it just requiring a payoff to approve? Something that if a private company did, someone could go to jail for?

Well, they are just cranky that the court tossed out their CBS fine for Janet Jackson's sun medallion getting flashed for a millisecond on TV.

On the grand scheme of things, this is a drop in the bucket... The stock price will bounce up and let them finance the deal by issuing more shares.....

And yes, the Feds are just like a Mafia shakedown..... This is news to you?

Got this today.

Sirius, XM Agree To $20M FCC Fine - 7/24/2008 7:36:00 AM - TWICE

Sirius, XM Agree To $20M FCC Fine
By Amy Gilroy -- TWICE, 7/24/2008 7:36:00 AM

Washington — Following reports that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) would approve a satellite radio merger if Sirius and XM pay a $20 million fine for past FCC violations, Sirius and XM said this morning they have agreed to pay the $20 million fine along with other conditions.

Sirius and XM said they are in talks with the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau to establish a Consent Decree that would close a 2006 FCC investigation of the companies.

XM said it will make a voluntary contribution to the U.S. Treasury of approximately $17 million and Sirius will contribute $2 million, as terms of a potential Consent Decree with the FCC that would terminate an FCC investigation initiated in 2006 into certain XM and Sirius repeaters and radios.

XM also promised that within 60 days of the Consent Decree it will shut down 50 variant terrestrial repeaters that pass along its signal, and either shut down or bring into compliance an additional 50 variant terrestrial repeaters.

Sirius said it already shut down 11 variant repeaters.

The companies stated there is no assurance yet that the FCC will approve the Consent Decree, and they did not confirm that the Consent Decree would result in the FCC approval that the companies have sought since they announced the merger 17 months ago.

Reports from the Wall Street Journal and various news agencies said yesterday that Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate will cast the deciding vote in favor of the merger under the proviso that the merged company pay a $20 million fine for alleged past violations of FCC rules and possibly other considerations.

Detractors of the merger have argued the FCC should not approve the Sirius/XM merger, in part because the companies violated FCC rules in the past in the placement of their repeaters, in the signal strength of their radios, and in failing to market an interoperable (dual-service) radio.

An FCC staffer told TWICE that Tate “will vote” but did not say when or how she will vote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts