XM Reception worse since merger???

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I have noticed that shortly after the merger of XM and Sirius that my XM reception has gotten much worse. Is anybody else experiencing the same?

For a few years my parents have had Sirius and I have had XM. One of the differences I noticed was that my parents would lose a signal all of the time. They would lose it going next to a tree or even under a small overpass. I would seldom if ever lose a signal on my XM. I would still be able to get a signal in small tunnels and parking structures. I just attributed this to their setup or their particular receiver.

Now that Sirius took over XM and the XM channels I used to listen to are no more, these new Sirius stations now do the same on my receiver as well (losing signals all of the time). The only thing I could think of is that Sirius signal is the issue.

To test it out. When I put my MyFi in the dock in my house, with the antenna is the same location, I now get 3 bars instead of the 5 I used to get with XM. There is no place I can put the antenna to get 5 bars now.

boy nobody reads these satrad forums anymore!

According to my Roady2, I get 2 bars instead of 3...and its been that way for a while now. I haven't really noticed anymore dropouts though. I've had this setup for YEARS (ever since the Roady2 came out)...I just assumed it was showing its age

There was a change in the equipment a while back that cut down the FM signal that the radios could emmit because it was too strong for the FCC's rules.

The satellites are still the same power, the merger didn't do anything to them. There could however be an issue with the ground repeaters in your area though. But again I don't think that has anything to do with the merger.

I have noticed it her in cincinnati also. It seems to be the ground repeaters. At my work in Blue ash I used to get all 5 repeater bars by my office window, now I get 0-1. I am going to cancel it shortly as I can no longer use it at work. I read somewhere that they shut down over half of the repeaters to save money.

I have not noticed any real issues down here in FL. But when I was in NYC last time where I usually got 4-5 bars with fm repeaters I was getting 1-2 and audio drop outs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)