xx24 software is here! - 8/24/2022

Do we have any update on the cost for Joey 4, will they work with older remotes and their availability? I am going to in insist that I get it for free because I purchased a 4K Joey that DISH made a nonfunctioning 4K receiver and when I purchased it was also supposed to provide picture in picture, which was the reason I didn't put the Hopper near my biggest TV.

Okay, so this also raises the possibility that the new Joey 4's by themselves will work as an upgrade for a Hopper Duo or Hopper 1 system.
The problem with this is that Dish will (as of now) only authorize a Joey 2 (Joey 1's are at end-of-life) with a Hopper 2K and Joey 3's (or 2's if out of stock on 3's) for Hopper Duo's, plus, of course, Wireless Joeys

Reactions: charlesrshell
Do we have any update on the cost for Joey 4, will they work with older remotes and their availability? I am going to in insist that I get it for free because I purchased a 4K Joey that DISH made a nonfunctioning 4K receiver and when I purchased it was also supposed to provide picture in picture, which was the reason I didn't put the Hopper near my biggest TV.

Nope they are still working on that.

I say make them free as it will keep the customer stay around. If your going to charge then people would rather get a fire tv stick which they can use anywhere.

This should be a product to keep customers not price it strangely and send people away faster.

Nope they are still working on that.

I say make them free as it will keep the customer stay around. If your going to charge then people would rather get a fire tv stick which they can use anywhere.

This should be a product to keep customers not price it strangely and send people away faster.
Yes. I need that thing on my big screen! They broke a contract with me selling me a 4K Joey that doesn't work on 4K and doesn't have the PIP I was promised. Glad to hear I do not need the Hopper+, cannot see a need for it, having fire TV sticks.

A compromise would be to charge for it, but keep it priced way lower than a Fire TV stick. Since many of the popular streaming apps are already built into the Hopper 3 and/or Hopper 2 (and most of those apps also work on regular Joeys) there is not as much additional value from a new Android-capable device (Joey 4 or Hopper+) as there would be from using a Fire TV stick instead.

The problem with this is that Dish will (as of now) only authorize a Joey 2 (Joey 1's are at end-of-life) with a Hopper 2K and Joey 3's (or 2's if out of stock on 3's) for Hopper Duo's, plus, of course, Wireless Joeys
As far as the Hopper Duos, that doesn't really mean much, since until lately there has not been any Joey newer than a Joey 3 in the first place. So, it is not like Dish has a long track record of denying Hopper Duo users from getting the latest and greatest Joey. As far as I know, the old 4K Joey was also supported by the Hopper Duo. However, as the post above yours points out, that 4K Joey is essentially useless now. So, it is kind of a moot point whether Dish will allow that model with a Hopper Duo or not.

Not technically a contract. They sold me something that now will not do 4K...
Technically, it will still do 4K. It is just that Dish no longer broadcasts 4K in a format that the 4K Joey will support. When Dish was still broadcasting it, people were complaining about the colors being washed out on the non-HDR content. Also, of course, that meant a complete lack of HDR content, since Dish wasn't going to bother to broadcast the same event both ways. So, it is a trade-off. Dish could still alternate their 4K broadcasts, and put some events in a format that the old 4K Joey will support. People would complain either way, though.

Nope it requires the Hopper to be activated to continue working.
I might be okay with that, just as long as this is not a leased upgrade for a purchased receiver. In other words, so I could turn this on and off as often as I like, without needing to return the Hopper+ to Dish each time I deactivate the Hopper 3. That way, the Hopper+ would still be hooked up and ready to use the next time I want to use the Hopper 3.

Technically, it will still do 4K. It is just that Dish no longer broadcasts 4K in a format that the 4K Joey will support. When Dish was still broadcasting it, people were complaining about the colors being washed out on the non-HDR content. Also, of course, that meant a complete lack of HDR content, since Dish wasn't going to bother to broadcast the same event both ways. So, it is a trade-off. Dish could still alternate their 4K broadcasts, and put some events in a format that the old 4K Joey will support. People would complain either way, though.
It will not do 4K if DISH does not provide it. They had both 4K streams until just a while ago, so they could do it.

A compromise would be to charge for it, but keep it priced way lower than a Fire TV stick. Since many of the popular streaming apps are already built into the Hopper 3 and/or Hopper 2 (and most of those apps also work on regular Joeys) there is not as much additional value from a new Android-capable device (Joey 4 or Hopper+) as there would be from using a Fire TV stick instead.
While an admirable thought, it would be difficult to come up with a recurring subscription price that would total lower than $19.95 (average one time price of a Fire Stick) or $14.95 on sale that would keep the total revenue to DISH under $20 in, say, a two year contract? 83 cents per month?? 20/24.

What mystifies me, and I won't know for sure until I can see the full benefit of the + other than just Android TV (even my Sony TV's and others have Android/Google TV built in). Other than just not changing an input on the TV or AVR receiver to switch to an external box, what else is the draw? Can the Hopper 3 now magically record anything that the + streams? That would be a major + to me. But I've seen not a thing about this functionality.

So adding another piece of hardware that you have to pay more for month on a continuing basis versus a one time (forever) purchase price, I honestly can't see the business case especially as DISH is not late the game but not even number 5 to the game. Everyone has been there and done that including even all the current TV's. Is there about to be an eBay glut of used Apple TV's and Roku's out there? Have I missed something? Really curious what the draw is about.

I'm sure, you as an aficionado of such electronic gadgets, probably already have multiple Fire TV's and/or Apple TV's/Roku's/NVidia's/etc. So other than the not having to switch an input (which all my Harmony remotes do automatically for me) what have I missed?

Not trying to be an butt head but honestly trying to figure out just why I would even want one?

One interface for all. Integration.
That I can see, but if that's the only justification, they are targeting a market that is already over saturated with 'sunk cost' devices. People have already invested major $$$ for existing devices and just thinking they will run away screaming like a chicken from all those investments, just because they say 'Integration' is again 5 years late and $1000 short and a pipe dream isn't it?

I assume I'll be able to offer you, say $35 bucks for your existing Apple TV's and $3 for your existing Fire Sticks/Roku's just so you can have one interface for all and you'll be throwing all that other crap in the trash???

While an admirable thought, it would be difficult to come up with a recurring subscription price that would total lower than $19.95 (average one time price of a Fire Stick) or $14.95 on sale that would keep the total revenue to DISH under $20 in, say, a two year contract? 83 cents per month?? 20/24.

What mystifies me, and I won't know for sure until I can see the full benefit of the + other than just Android TV (even my Sony TV's and others have Android/Google TV built in). Other than just not changing an input on the TV or AVR receiver to switch to an external box, what else is the draw? Can the Hopper 3 now magically record anything that the + streams? That would be a major + to me. But I've seen not a thing about this functionality.

So adding another piece of hardware that you have to pay more for month on a continuing basis versus a one time (forever) purchase price, I honestly can't see the business case especially as DISH is not late the game but not even number 5 to the game. Everyone has been there and done that including even all the current TV's. Is there about to be an eBay glut of used Apple TV's and Roku's out there? Have I missed something? Really curious what the draw is about.

I'm sure, you as an aficionado of such electronic gadgets, probably already have multiple Fire TV's and/or Apple TV's/Roku's/NVidia's/etc. So other than the not having to switch an input (which all my Harmony remotes do automatically for me) what have I missed?

Not trying to be an butt head but honestly trying to figure out just why I would even want one?
Live TV, Streaming, Recording 16 tuners, whole home entertainment and security, wireless cell phones are all powered by Dish 5G. That's the endgame.

So adding another piece of hardware that you have to pay more for month on a continuing basis versus a one time (forever) purchase price, I honestly can't see the business case...
I assumed we were talking about the one-time (upgrade fee or purchase) cost. The original question was about the cost of the new Joeys. I think we all understand that the monthly fees on those will continue to be the same price as the existing Joeys. Also, it has already been established that there will be no monthly fee just for the Hopper+ by itself, as far as I know. So, the only question is what will the total cost be to do the upgrade?

I even said that I don't want to see this (Hopper+) be a leased upgrade option:
I might be okay with that, just as long as this is not a leased upgrade for a purchased receiver. In other words, so I could turn this on and off as often as I like, without needing to return the Hopper+ to Dish each time I deactivate the Hopper 3. That way, the Hopper+ would still be hooked up and ready to use the next time I want to use the Hopper 3.
However, even if Dish does "lease" out these Hopper+'s, it does not necessarily mean that there will be an additional line item on the bill. It just means that Dish could finally justify the $9 per month lease fee for the first receiver that is automatically bundled into the cost of our basic package, even if we only have purchased equipment on the account. That (already existing) "lease fee" would be for the Hopper+.

What mystifies me, and I won't know for sure until I can see the full benefit of the + other than just Android TV (even my Sony TV's and others have Android/Google TV built in). Other than just not changing an input on the TV or AVR receiver to switch to an external box, what else is the draw?

My 4K TV has Roku built-in. My much older (non-smart) Sony HD TV has a Roku stick. Basically, every TV in my house has Roku. I am hardly an "aficionado" of the other brands you mentioned, as I have never played with them.

For me, the one drawback of Roku is that none of my Roku devices have a web browser. So, for any streaming service or website that does not have a Roku app, I am out of luck. Being able to add a device (Hopper+) to one of my existing devices (Hopper 3) without tying up any additional inputs on my TV, that will then give me access to these other websites and streams on my big screen TV (instead of forcing me to either watch on my laptop or connect the laptop to my TV) is a big deal to me.

If Dish can make this upgrade cheaper than it would cost for me to buy a Fire TV stick (and save me the hassle of learning yet another new unfamiliar interface) then I am sold. I assume that the new Dish Android interface is at least relatively similar to the familiar Dish interface, so it is not as much of a learning curve.

Is there about to be an eBay glut of used Apple TV's and Roku's out there?

I assume I'll be able to offer you, say $35 bucks for your existing Apple TV's and $3 for your existing Fire Sticks/Roku's just so you can have one interface for all and you'll be throwing all that other crap in the trash???
As for me, you can have my existing Rokus when you can pry them from my cold, dead hands.

For you, there may not be much of a benefit (nor any benefit at all). So, you may not want one. There are some of us here who do want one, though. Nobody here is trying to sell you one, nor twist your arm to force you to take it. Let the rest of us have our fun getting excited about this new device that we have been looking forward to getting for quite awhile now.

Where is the average price for a Firestick 20 bucks??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)