Yankees to stream games without MLB package

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Juan

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
Hope others follow suit...will make baseball affordable again

The Yankees are on the path to innovation next season. Working alongside Amazon, the club is gearing up to become the first MLB team to let fans stream games without a cable subscription this upcoming season, according to the New York Post. YES’ p...

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

But if you have to subscribe to Amazon Prime in order to get this, isn't this just trading one boss for a new boss?

Now you have to have DirecTV (or insert cable company name) in order to get the games. But in the future... you can do the same thing if you have Amazon Prime.

Now if they make this a stand-alone streaming package, like letting me get the YES network without anything else... then that's progress.

Or am I missing something?

I trust this won't be subject to local blackout like MLB TV; otherwise, not much of an "innovation."

But if you have to subscribe to Amazon Prime in order to get this, isn't this just trading one boss for a new boss?

Now you have to have DirecTV (or insert cable company name) in order to get the games. But in the future... you can do the same thing if you have Amazon Prime.

Now if they make this a stand-alone streaming package, like letting me get the YES network without anything else... then that's progress.

Or am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing the fact that Amazon Prime is less than one-tenth the monthly cost of most cable or satellite TV subscriptions and the fact this will be available nationwide without paying for a much pricier MLB TV sub.

Kinda reminds me of back in the 90s watching braves games on TBS superstation , but for modern streaming erA...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

But isn't that how they all start?

What is Amazon Prime now? $120 a year? What if having to carry YES increases that to $130 a year? Some subscribers balk, the number of Amazon Prime subscribers drops, and as a result the price for Amazon Prime has to increase to $150 a year.

Or is this going to be an addon to Amazon Prime (I don't have Prime, so I don't know how it works)? $120 a year for Amazon Prime affords you the ability to buy YES for $25 a year? Why not just sell YES at $25 a year to anyone that wants it? Why does Amazon Prime have to be involved?

The point is, if you start bundling (and forcing those bundles) into the OTT streaming systems... pretty soon they're going to start looking a lot like traditional linear cable.

Don't get me wrong. The price for Amazon Prime still pales in comparison to traditional TV. And it's definitely a start. I'd love to see various baseball teams (the Yankees don't really interest me) offering their own OTT game feeds inside their "markets" so that people in those markets aren't force to buy traditional cable or streaming. And this is definitely a start in the right direction with this.

I'd really just prefer all the Fox Sports regional networks offer a "stream all of your team's games without a TV provider for $25 a month" or whatever the price might be (assuming it's reasonable). That would be game changing if you ask me. Baseball makes it easier for you to be an out-of-market fan in terms of OTT streaming (mlb.tv) than to be a fan of your "local" team. And they wonder why the interest in baseball is dying.

Reactions: ShawnHill1
They are bypassing YES....games only...probably for the local market only
But isn't that how they all start?

What is Amazon Prime now? $120 a year? What if having to carry YES increases that to $130 a year? Some subscribers balk, the number of Amazon Prime subscribers drops, and as a result the price for Amazon Prime has to increase to $150 a year.

Or is this going to be an addon to Amazon Prime (I don't have Prime, so I don't know how it works)? $120 a year for Amazon Prime affords you the ability to buy YES for $25 a year? Why not just sell YES at $25 a year to anyone that wants it? Why does Amazon Prime have to be involved?

The point is, if you start bundling (and forcing those bundles) into the OTT streaming systems... pretty soon they're going to start looking a lot like traditional linear cable.

Don't get me wrong. The price for Amazon Prime still pales in comparison to traditional TV. And it's definitely a start. I'd love to see various baseball teams (the Yankees don't really interest me) offering their own OTT game feeds inside their "markets" so that people in those markets aren't force to buy traditional cable or streaming. And this is definitely a start in the right direction with this.

I'd really just prefer all the Fox Sports regional networks offer a "stream all of your team's games without a TV provider for $25 a month" or whatever the price might be (assuming it's reasonable). That would be game changing if you ask me. Baseball makes it easier for you to be an out-of-market fan in terms of OTT streaming (mlb.tv) than to be a fan of your "local" team. And they wonder why the interest in baseball is dying.

Or is this going to be an addon to Amazon Prime (I don't have Prime, so I don't know how it works)? $120 a year for Amazon Prime affords you the ability to buy YES for $25 a year?

I can't speak for YES, but what you describe in the thought above is how their other addon subscriptions work for other channels, like HBO.

But you can get HBO without Amazon Prime.

So the question still is... why can't they offer this as stand alone? If all I was interested in was watching the Yankees, why should I be forced to pay for Amazon Prime too? I just don't see how that is all that different from forcing you to have a cable package in order to watch the Yankees.

Again, this is definitely a start. Perhaps YES doesn't have the resources to build their own platform for this and they are using Amazon Prime because 1) it's easier to deploy at the moment and 2) to gauge interest without having to invest a lot into their own development.

I trust this won't be subject to local blackout like MLB TV; otherwise, not much of an "innovation."

Yes, you're missing the fact that Amazon Prime is less than one-tenth the monthly cost of most cable or satellite TV subscriptions and the fact this will be available nationwide without paying for a much pricier MLB TV sub.

No, it won’t.

This is about IN MARKET streaming only. New York, NE Pennsylvania,, Connecticut, N New Jersey. Everywhere else the rights belong to MLB and streaming is via the MLB app.

This, and it will be universal soon, is a good move for MLB. Currently if you are a “cord cutter” the MLB app gives you all the games, except for your local team(s). Thus, just like the Braves and Cubs in the 70s and 80s, it is easier to watch other people’s teams than your own. This make the IN MARKET games of the Yankees, and this will soon be universal, available IN MARKET.

I live in the middle of the good ole USA, Yankee games were getting Blacked out here, regularly???

Looking forward to next year with the possibility of being able to catch all or most Yankee Games On TV!
IMG_E0949.JPG

Keep looking. This product is only for the IN MARKET territory.

Right.

I'm not in the Yankees' market. Nor do I really care about the Yankees. But there are a few "local" teams on Fox Sports regional Networks. I'd love to see Sinclair offer something like a: Enter your zip code (to see how many "in-market" teams you are suppose to get), then charge a specific fee in order to be able to stream those teams games. Sinclair at least has some experience with streaming app development (STIRR). Then I wouldn't have to have any cable/live streaming system to watch baseball. Games that are out-of-market can be had with MLB.tv.

I'm hoping this is the direction all of this takes. I'm not really bashing the Amazon Prime and YES partnership, I'd just hope the end game is to eventually offer a stand alone product.

Here goes. Every team has a territory this is considered its market. These are self-claimed, teams just claimed whatever areas they wanted. This has led to two problems. First is “quilting” as teams just overlapped each other with claims. Parts of Iowa and Nevada are claimed by SIX TEAMS. Second is illogic. Teams just claimed too much. The Pirates claim Columbus, Ohio. The Reds claim northern Mississippi. Many such idiocies. The Wikipedia article “Major League Baseball blackout policy” has the current maps.

Now here is the deal. It is unfair and dumb, but not hard to understand.

The claimed area is IN MARKET. The rights to the home team’s games belong to the team. Thus:

For regular TV subscribers (cable or dish):

Local team(s) on the local RSN (Fox Sports wherever, AT&T Sport Net wherever, YES, NESN, etc).
All other teams on MLBEI.

For regular TV subscribers (cable or dish) who also stream:

Local team(s) on the local RSN’s app with a password to prove you are a regular TV subscriber.
All others on MLB.TV

“Cord Cutters”

All others on MLB.TV
(Previously) Local team not available.
(Now) Local team available on an app set up by the local team for a separate fee)

ALL this story is about is those last two sentences. Cord cutters can pay their local team for the local teams game IN MARKET. It has nothing to do with access to Yankee games (substitute whatever team as this rolls out across the nation) out of market. Nothing.

• Wow
Reactions: LQQK
Local team(s) on the local RSN (Fox Sports wherever, AT&T Sport Net wherever, YES, NESN, etc).
Unless you happen to be lucky enough to have at least two teams in your "market" and DirecTV only gives you one of those teams unless you buy the absurd Sports Pack for $13/mo just for the privilege to watch the team that is in your "market"

MLB really should clamp down on this market territory issue. Like you say, Reds territory in northern Mississippi is absurd. MLB should make the Reds go to northern Mississippi and find 5 Reds fans to prove that it's Red's "territory"

Reactions: Sparkman
Here goes. Every team has a territory this is considered its market. These are self-claimed, teams just claimed whatever areas they wanted. This has led to two problems. First is “quilting” as teams just overlapped each other with claims. Parts of Iowa and Nevada are claimed by SIX TEAMS. Second is illogic. Teams just claimed too much. The Pirates claim Columbus, Ohio. The Reds claim northern Mississippi. Many such idiocies. The Wikipedia article “Major League Baseball blackout policy” has the current maps.

The claimed area is IN MARKET. The rights to the home team’s games belong to the team. Thus:

Local team(s) on the local RSN’s app with a password to prove you are a regular TV subscriber.
All others on MLB.TV

“Cord Cutters”

All others on MLB.TV
(Now) Local team available on an app set up by the local team for a separate fee)

ALL this story is about is those last two sentences. Cord cutters can pay their local team for the local teams game IN MARKET. It has nothing to do with access to Yankee games (substitute whatever team as this rolls out across the nation) out of market. Nothing.

Thanks for the thorough explanation. Guess I'll try to keep LQQKING!

BS...has nothing to do with RSNs...they want to stream games in local markets..you really should read what they want to do...bypass tv and cable...straight to the consumer

All others on MLB.TV

“Cord Cutters”

All others on MLB.TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)