Yay :(

Come to the Dark Side, now with 7 TB EHD Support!!!

;)
...and, just to clarify (for anyone reading this thread who hasn't read the software update thread) this applies to all models of Hopper (including Hopper Duo) except the original Hopper.
Increased external hard drive support

Larger external hard drive sizes now officially allowed​

All models of Hopper will allow up to 7 TB​

Wally up to 4 TB​

March Software Versions

Hopper 3: U547

Hopper w/ Sling: U726

Hopper: Not
included in this release

Hopper Duo: U635

Wally: U809

...and, just to clarify (for anyone reading this thread who hasn't read the software update thread) this applies to all models of Hopper (including Hopper Duo) except the original Hopper.

"Not included in this release." So I presume 7TB will be possible for the H2K in a future release.

My big question is why 7 TB? Why not 8 TB, which is a size you can actually buy?
(speaking of which, Amazon had an 8 TB external drive for $134, so we’ll see if it works on the Hopper 3!)

I just plugged in a brand new Seagate USB3 6TB drive into my H3 and nothing happened. I am now getting the update as we "speak".

Reactions: charlesrshell
"Not included in this release." So I presume 7TB will be possible for the H2K in a future release.
Or possibly, 7TB was already quietly rolled out for the original Hopper in a previous release, and nobody here knew anything about it. Can you imagine the outcry here if that had happened? "If the friggin' Hopper 1 can do this, then why can't my snazzy state-of-the-art Hopper 3?" :D

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrell
I wonder if that “chipset limitation” was only for the internal drives?
Somehow, I doubt that. There must be a reason why the Wally was capped at 4TB, so I think that at least for some receivers, there is still a chipset limitation. Specifically, I could see Dish justifying capping the Hopper EHD's at 2TB due to chipset limitations of the ViP DVR's, and needing to ensure compatibility. In other words, in the early days of the Hopper, it is quite possible that a customer might upgrade to a Hopper, fill up an EHD with a bunch of stuff, and then decide that they really don't like the Hopper very well, so they downgrade back to a ViP DVR. Even to this day, that scenario may still play out if the Hopper dies, and the customer happens to still have a purchased ViP DVR laying around, so they temporarily switch back to the ViP DVR while they are waiting for the replacement Hopper. Imagine if Dish had supported much larger EHD's for the Hopper, and then the customer hooks it up to the ViP DVR, only to find that most of their recordings are inaccessible, or that they cannot actually play anything at all. That customer would probably be pretty ticked-off, and justifiably so. With that scenario becoming more and more rare these days, though, perhaps it was finally time to ignore the ViP compatibility issue, and go ahead and roll out the larger EHD support for the Hoppers.

Reactions: navychop
The bigger EHD they are, the harder they crash. :)

Still don't have a useable OTA tuner, but everything else has come back to life.

The bigger EHD they are, the harder they crash. :)

Still don't have a useable OTA tuner, but everything else has come back to life.
Unfortunately, this still could be a sign that your receiver is starting to fail. The problem you describe in your original post sounds a lot like what my ViP211 with a built-in OTA tuner did, right before it started to die.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts