Yay :(

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
Dealing with a hardware issue on my 722. Never seen this one before.

Last night, I noticed that all my OTA channel signal levels dropped to below 60, which made every one of them get a complete signal loss or unwatchable content. Then the box started to respond very slowly to the point of freezing up for up to a minute at a time, so I did a soft reset.

As soon as the sat signal finished its acquiring stage, it rebooted again. After a couple more reboots, it finally stabilized and I was using the DVR as normal, but my OTA channels were still fubar.

This morning I turned it on and it immediately rebooted, and went into a cycle where it would reboot as soon as it finished acquiring signal and going to live tv. I found that if I get into the DVR menu before the signal finishes acquiring, I can use the DVR, watch and manage recordings, etc. Only when I would go back to live tv it would reboot.

So now I unplugged the SAT coax so that the signal never finishes and I am in the process of offloading my DVR contents to EHD, in prep for a replacement.

Anyone ever seen this before?

• Wow
Reactions: TheKrell
But are any updates even coming in for the 722 anymore?

Sounds like it may be time to "upgrade" to a Hopper Duo. ;) :sorry

There was a Hopper Duo and Wally software update overnight, so I suppose it is possible that they pushed out something for the ViP's while they were at it.

Apparently, to brick them and force an "upgrade".

Since my initial problem was OTA related, I'm going with that as the cause for the time being...hoping a replacement will buy me another 6 months or so.
Only another 6 months? Are you saying that you are considering dropping Dish when your contract runs out? :(

Apparently, to brick them and force an "upgrade".

Since my initial problem was OTA related, I'm going with that as the cause for the time being...hoping a replacement will buy me another 6 months or so.
Do you have the OTA add-on module (I apologize if a dumb question)?

If so, I wonder if removing it would change things, if for some reason it was messing things up after going bad.

Reactions: bspei and pattykay
Do you have the OTA add-on module (I apologize if a dumb question)?

If so, I wonder if removing it would change things, if for some reason it was messing things up after going bad.
Mine is the original 722 with the built-in single OTA tuner.

Reactions: pattykay
Mine is the original 722 with the built-in single OTA tuner.
Maybe the replacement receiver will be a 722k, which would require the OTA module. On the other hand, if Dish does insist on upgrading you to a Hopper Duo, I have one of the dual-tuner USB OTA adapters that I am not using, that I could send you for the cost of shipping it to you.

Reactions: dare2be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)