Yet another dumb question!

sp818a

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
I put up my sky 60 antenna and so far pretty good,I have a TiVo box and did a signal search meter and WCVB out of Boston I get a 72 digital signal but no picture is that possible ? Thanks in advance! By the way I am at least 70 miles away in enfield ct!

Which model TIVO? TIVO did an update that recalibrated the signal strengths some months ago and I believe 72 isn't great. Premieres are known to have weak tuners, which is why I ask model #. Also 70 miles is pretty aggressive

Is this close to your TVFool report?
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8e0332184af5f2

If so, WGBH is very weak and unlikely. WRDM has a stronger signal on the same real channel (19) which would likely kill any chance.

There are no dumb questions :)

I have a TiVo box and did a signal search meter and WCVB out of Boston I get a 72 digital signal but no picture is that possible ?
I assume its a Roamio? Their max is 72 (it may go higher than that but usually stabilizes at 72) whereas the older boxes went to 100

WCVB broadcasts on RF20 (but maps to 5). There is a Rf20 in CT (WCCT) which is only 26 miles from the center of enfield (per tvfool). I'm sure you are picking that up instead of WCVB.

Reactions: KE4EST
I believe TiVo Romio I hit Wtnh out of new haven with a 48 signal! Maybe it's just some kind of glitch!

You are the best iceberg I appreciate all your info you give this forum!

I believe TiVo Romio I hit Wtnh out of new haven with a 48 signal! Maybe it's just some kind of glitch!
If its the Roamio....any signal above 34 or so will decode (pixelate...but will decode)

I think the issue with your original question is that there is a closer station on the same RF station as WCVB. I get that every now and then. I have a station on 42 (KSAX Alexandria, MN) that I can get most of the time even though its like 80 miles away SW of me. But when it gets read humid out I can pick up KIMT in Mason City, IA which is ALSO on RF42 (but remaps to 3) and dead south. So in my Roamio there are times I'll go to 42-1 KSAX and it will **burp** and next thing I know its on 3-1 because it picked up KIMT.

Reactions: jayn_j
It takes a signal of 40 minimum before my base Tivo Roamio can decode the signal to where it's watchable. I also have never seen a OTA signal level higher than 72, (on a powerful station) which is 29db in the Tivo diagnostics.

All that being said, you preferably want your signals at least around 55 minimum on the Roamio. 50 is where it goes "green", but that might not be enough margin to stay that high during weather and such.

Reactions: jayn_j and Mr Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)