You know you have too many antennas when.........

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
You have them stored in FOUR different spots right now

So since I get cable included in my rent I really don't need the antenna setup. Plus there is not a good spot to put it on my deck and run it into the apartment (and a couple stations are not stable on the Tivo). So I decided to pack away the antennas. And after going to my dads today and taking down the antennas I had there I realized something......

I got a lot of frickin antennas!! So I put them away in various spots in the apartment. Lets see

In the entry closet
HDB91X (the XG91 one that Solid Signal sells). Was able to take it apart in a couple pieces
HDB8X..The 8 bay one

In the bedroom closet
Eagle Aspen 2 bay antenna...that one is actually hooked up to the bedroom TV. Not paying 9.75 a month for an extra outlet when I basically will turn it on for background noise. It gets most of the stations (although they do pixel every now and then)

Under the bed
AntennaCraft Y5 7-13 VHF only
Winegard HBU22 VHF/UHF
"neutered" Y5 7-13 (it got damaged in transport when I moved so it only has 3 sets of elements instead of 5)

at the lake house
AntennaCraft C490 VHF low/high UHF still in the box
Winegard HBU55 still in the box

Dang I thought I was "hoarding" when I had FTA (believe me....I had a bunch of dishes and receivers when I had FTA) but I didnt think I had **this** many antennas. :)

I got a lot of them too Ice...I got about 7 or 8 antennas in a huge box out in the garage.I have DirecTV but they dont give me the digital subchannels like antennaTV,MeTV Etc..I have Three Antennas in Three Different Southern Windows so I can Pick up the Cincinnati Channels.This place looks like a Communications center from the Outside :)

You need either a storage locker and forget about them, or a huge home where you can mount all those antennas and have a great time DXing! :)
I'm content here in my apartment. I may put up the Y5 7-13 and the XG91 later...but right now with all the stations I get OTA on cable (and cable is free) I'm OK with it

You know you have too many antennas when.........
You have just as many channels as your neighbor with basic cable! HA!

Here in Minneapolis its about right. Looking at the Comcast channel list there are 42 channels in "basic/lifeline" (not including the 50 music choice channels)
If you use an antenna and can get the stations that I know are out there in Minneapolis (including the low powered ones) there are 41...42 with the duplicate FOX station

Reactions: Tank
There are only 2 (QVC & HSN) and they are on the Ion mux here in Minneapolis
Also there are 7 3ABN stations OTA that arent on cable

edit: 3 shopping. Evine Live (formerly ShopHQ)

On OTA but not on basic cable here in Minneapolis
6 3ABN stations
HmongUSATV
2 EWTN stations (bulletin board and some old replays of religious shows)
3 Ion subs (Qubo, IonLife, 24/7 shopping)

On basic cable but not OTA
CNN
TBS
Public Access
Gov't Access
School Access
HSN2
Jewelry
GodTV
TBN
C-Span & C-Span2
BMA (Black Music America)
and the 50 Music Choice stations

The nice thing is they do have all the subchannels....and in some examples since they are getting a fibre feed and not OTA it looks **better** than the OTA feed.

IMHO, here in the Chattanooga Tennessee market, all the locals looks as good as OTA. Probably sent by fibre. Also get all the subchannels except for Comet. Wonder when Comcast will add that? We also get ION, LIFE and QUBO since there's no local ION station here

well got the 2 large antennas home (the HBU55 and the C490) from the lake house

The HBU55 is in 2 pieces and that is now under the bed (along with the HBU22, the Y5 7-13 and the "neutered" Y5). I took it out of the box and assembled it and wanted to try something with where I am but its so large of an antenna there is minimal room for wiggle (moving antenna)
and found that the C490 box will slide right behind the couch (and the box is 6 feet long so its hidden now behind the couch :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)