"You Might Be From Minnesota If.."

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Up here, most place their car keys near the alarm clock. Shut off the alarm, grab the keys, with the remote car starter, 'n push the Start button. The car warms up while ya shave.
BTW, Did ya hear, St Cloud St. has cancelled Homecoming? One reason given:"Homecoming grew difficult with so few home football games and competition from other activities such as deer hunting". St. Cloud State nixes Homecoming | StarTribune.com

Last edited:
we run mobile one 5w x 30. Warm the engine for 30 seconds and open the window so the windshield doesn't fog up till the thermostat opens. I'm ahead a pint of gas.

If it's really cold, we plug the vehicles in. Frost plug heaters are great.

Another Minnesota-ism... go to Buck Hill Ski Area to watch the bed races and your mom tries to sneak into the "free" concert for participants only...to see Crystal Bowersox...Really? Really? We love "free" stuff big-time.

we run mobile one 5w x 30. Warm the engine for 30 seconds and open the window so the windshield doesn't fog up till the thermostat opens. I'm ahead a pint of gas.
I got 5w-20 in the Ranger....built in St Paul :)

If it's really cold, we plug the vehicles in. Frost plug heaters are great.
do that at the cabin during the winter...too dang cold out

Another Minnesota-ism... go to Buck Hill Ski Area to watch the bed races and your mom tries to sneak into the "free" concert for participants only...to see Crystal Bowersox...Really? Really? We love "free" stuff big-time.
hey that was today too :) Saw it on the news

Way back in the mid 80's I had a girl friend that was from north of the Cities. This was in California.

Mom got deathly sick so she decided to move back home.

The first time I went back to see her, I had to stop and make a phone call, I didn't want to stop and ask for directions, so I picked a small cafe I spotted, walked in and sat at a booth waiting for the waitress before making my call. I overheard (it was probably intended that I hear this) "did ya see theh Californian, he doesn't know about things around here. He actually LOCKED his truck before he came inside."

Chisago City, circa 1986

Photto

When I went to my uncle's a few winters ago to run his bait shop people looked at me weird by the way I did things. This is a little town of 1200 people about 3 hours away from Minneapolis. I pulled into the gas station and shut off the truck and locked it. Folks kept their vehicle running and got gas (you cant do that in the cities). I went in to get some stuff and asked if they always did that and the lady said yep they even leave it running to go to the cafe next door. I was like "oh to pick up food". She's like "nah to eat it there"

I was born in Minnesota and oh yes, they're all true.

My only issue is that I graduated from college (in Minnesota, after living in Iowa for years) and promptly left for Alaska. Minnesota was warm and the winters were short in comparison :)

- All (southern and Central) Minnesotan small towns have a Church, Bar, and Grain Elevator. About midway north the elevator becomes another bar.
- You pick up WCCO on the cable system and you live 2 miles from the South Dakota border.
- You have to move the shovel, blanket, kitty litter, and flashlight to get to the Jumper Cables.
- You think the Vikings will have a better season next year.
- You hate the Yankees with an unchecked, unholy passion.
- You haven't been to the Mall of America since the last time your family came and wanted to go.
- You laugh when someone asks you "Where is Long Lake in Minnesota?"

You haven't been to the Mall of America since the last time your family came and wanted to go.
yep. Live 1/2 hour away and avoid that place like crazy. But when relatives come from outta state (or when they come down from Northern MN) its "lets go to the mall of america"

Minnesota holds a special place in my heart. It is the home of the Moondance Jam Classic Rock Festival. I've attended the Jam in 2008, 2009 and have tickets for 2011. There are a fantastic group of people from Minnesota who show up at that event. I consider myself a "Northerner" living in Canada. There are a lot of good hearted Northerners living in Minnesota who always make me feel very welcome.

Coming from a guy living "right next to Minnesota," I can tell if someone is from Minnesota, as they give me the "stink-eye" when I'm wearing my Packer shirt :D

If they close school early[11:00am], but the hockey game is ON! (Well, N.D. close enough, UND did just that today) Yeah, we're in another full blown blizzard. Didn't really hit until game time. The scanner is very busy.

I think my TV is broke...its been stuck on channel 45-1 for the last 3 days for the HS hockey tournament :)

I think my TV is broke...its been stuck on channel 45-1 for the last 3 days for the HS hockey tournament :)

Ice,

This is a common problem in the northern latitudes. What you need to do is reprogram your TV so that all the channels are not the same one. This is a difficult process, but you will manage with my tutorial in the "stickies" at the top of the page here. Use the search engine for this site and enter the keywords "How to Unhockey my TV". There is another thread that will give you a lot of information on the subject titled "Melt the Ice" if you have time to read it!

I wish you the best of luck on this and in finding a solution, but there really isn't anything wrong with your TV. It is a setup problem and you might be better off just buying a larger screen TV with a better picture quality. That has been reported to improve the situation although the channels seem to always end up being the same once again. This isn't a bad work-around though, since you get better resolution, but the problem seems to occur at the same time every year. You may have to just wait until it passes and the ice does melt. It is the same problem as with the solar mass coronal ejections (MCE's), but just more intense. The only way to truly avoid it is to turn the antenna away from the source of the radiation exposure. If you simply cannot do that, you will have to hire someone to do it for you who is not biased, but good luck finding a tech who will do that in your area! :)

This video will help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPUiXWFtB4&feature=related

RADAR

Last edited:
I owe you an answer to your last PM, but laptop is still acting up. I'll answer when I get home Sunday night (actually Monday morning).

AND ... I'll be HOME for several weeks, woohoo !!!!

Photto

WooHoo or Wahoo?

David Letterman calls Wahoo, NE (just south of me) his home office, or did. "YooHoo, is anyone home in Wahoo?" WooHoo! They're having a party! :D

RADAR
:popcorn

Ice,

This is a common problem in the northern latitudes. What you need to do is reprogram your TV so that all the channels are not the same one. This is a difficult process, but you will manage with my tutorial in the "stickies" at the top of the page here. Use the search engine for this site and enter the keywords "How to Unhockey my TV". There is another thread that will give you a lot of information on the subject titled "Melt the Ice" if you have time to read it!

I wish you the best of luck on this and in finding a solution, but there really isn't anything wrong with your TV. It is a setup problem and you might be better off just buying a larger screen TV with a better picture quality. That has been reported to improve the situation although the channels seem to always end up being the same once again. This isn't a bad work-around though, since you get better resolution, but the problem seems to occur at the same time every year. You may have to just wait until it passes and the ice does melt. It is the same problem as with the solar mass coronal ejections (MCE's), but just more intense. The only way to truly avoid it is to turn the antenna away from the source of the radiation exposure. If you simply cannot do that, you will have to hire someone to do it for you who is not biased, but good luck finding a tech who will do that in your area! :)

This video will help: YouTube - Jimmy Buffett - Boat Drinks

RADAR
What other channels?

You're from Minnesota if you route for any team to beat Eden Prairie or Edina

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts