You Tube on HR44

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

coconut10

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
MN
My You Tube on my HR44 was shut off at 2:45 pm this afternoon. I was using it and it just went blank and wouldn't acquire any new searches. Bye-bye I guess.

Yes, mine was unresponsive until 3:15 pm and then it started working again. They must be playing around with shutting it off.

My Youtube on my HR44 went out today. Doesn't matter to me. I hated the Youtube search on my Genie and preferred it on my other devices.

My Youtube on my HR44 went out today. Doesn't matter to me. I hated the Youtube search on my Genie and preferred it on my other devices.
I agree, the search was the major downfall for Youtube on Directv. Many searches on popular songs would show mostly some kid singing the song instead of the performer. (Cover)

Reactions: edisonprime
For what it's worth, YouTube is no longer going to be an option on directv receivers. Apparently they changed some form of coding or something (not sure, didn't really pay attention as I don't know anybody that even used the feature) and the receivers aren't capable of decoding it.

For what it's worth, YouTube is no longer going to be an option on directv receivers. Apparently they changed some form of coding or something (not sure, didn't really pay attention as I don't know anybody that even used the feature) and the receivers aren't capable of decoding it.
to be clearer, Google discontinued the use of the old API and the DIRECTV® receivers as of current time aren't capable of handing the new API

Hey Hutch,
How ya doing ?

to be clearer, Google discontinued the use of the old API and the DIRECTV® receivers as of current time aren't capable of handing the new API

Apparently the new API is based on HTML5 and the DirecTv boxes don't support HTML5

DIRECTV Loses YouTubeBy Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (May 7, 2015) - DIRECTV subscribers no longer have access to the YouTube streaming app due to the video service's recent upgrade, the satcaster has confirmed to TVPredictions.com.

The satellite TV service added YouTube and other streaming apps such as Pandora to its Internet-enabled HD DVRs four years ago. But YouTube recently upgraded to new technical specifications which are not compatible with older set-tops.

Several Smart TVs and Net-enabled set tops such as Blu-ray players and gaming consoles last month lost access to YouTube as well.

Robert Mercer, a DIRECTV spokesman, says the satcaster is working with YouTube to restore the user-generated video service to the company's subscribers.

"YouTube content via the DIRECTV set-top is no longer available. They (YouTube) changed their technical specifications to deliver the YouTube experience through DIRECTV's and other distributors' set-tops boxes," Mercer said. "We've had a long relationship with YouTube and will continue to work with them to find ways to restore delivering their content to our customers."

Despite Mercer's comment, however, DIRECTV CEO Mike White this week sounded skeptical about YouTube's future on the satellite service.

"I'm not sure the YouTube thing will continue because they're trying to do something different to control the whole experience themselves," White told financial analysts this week after the company's release of its first quarter report.
TVPredictions.com reported in February that DIRECTV may be considering offering its own YouTube-like TV channel based on company documents filed with the U.S Patent & Trademark Office.
The satcaster filedfor trademarks for two possible names for the channel, "My View" and "U View," on January 16, 2015. In the trademark request, DIRECTV says it would be an online social networking service and one of the trademark's uses would be for "a dedicated television channel for accessing user content, namely, photos and videos."

A DIRECTV spokeswoman in February would only confirm that the trademarks had been requested.

Everyone the reason for the change, is because Google is no longer going to support Java for their sites and apps like Youtube. The newer app is better, and allows you to cast from youtube on your computer, to the app on a streaming device. I am sure that DirecTV has something up their sleeve to bring it back, along with a few other choices. But it takes time to get the software engineers to make sure the new stuff works on existing hardware.

My guess is that since the HR34 & HR44 are HTML5 capable, but the previous DVR's are not. Is why DirecTV decided to do an across the board removal.

I am spending more time watching programming on our Amazon Fire TV, with runs circles around the HR44 DVR, it is not funny. The good thing about having streaming devices in the home, is that if someone sees something on youtube or netflix. They can cast it to whatever tv the are at.. I have all four TV's in my house, with casting capabilities, along with Pandora.

I would not doubt that Pandora goes bye-bye also. All due to not enough user metrics that use the app at home on the DirecTV equipment. Within the next five years, you are going to start seeing a lot more Cable Cutters, since you can watch programming through Sling.com's app on a streaming device, along with all of the major networks and then some.

That means that companies are really going to have to review their policies and device software, to keep from causing a high Churn rate/Attrition Rate.

The one thing that I really hated about working in the Cellular Call Center area. Was that at a minimum, we were reminded about Churn numbers in & out, and told to keep pushing upgrades and the new plans.

Everyone the reason for the change, is because Google is no longer going to support Java for their sites and apps like Youtube. The newer app is better, and allows you to cast from youtube on your computer, to the app on a streaming device. I am sure that DirecTV has something up their sleeve to bring it back, along with a few other choices. But it takes time to get the software engineers to make sure the new stuff works on existing hardware.

My guess is that since the HR34 & HR44 are HTML5 capable, but the previous DVR's are not. Is why DirecTV decided to do an across the board removal.

I am spending more time watching programming on our Amazon Fire TV, with runs circles around the HR44 DVR, it is not funny. The good thing about having streaming devices in the home, is that if someone sees something on youtube or netflix. They can cast it to whatever tv the are at.. I have all four TV's in my house, with casting capabilities, along with Pandora.

I would not doubt that Pandora goes bye-bye also. All due to not enough user metrics that use the app at home on the DirecTV equipment. Within the next five years, you are going to start seeing a lot more Cable Cutters, since you can watch programming through Sling.com's app on a streaming device, along with all of the major networks and then some.

That means that companies are really going to have to review their policies and device software, to keep from causing a high Churn rate/Attrition Rate.

The one thing that I really hated about working in the Cellular Call Center area. Was that at a minimum, we were reminded about Churn numbers in & out, and told to keep pushing upgrades and the new plans.
It's not just cell call centers... It was also the satellite call centers. Before I worked for Dish, I had no idea what churn, or ARPU meant. Now I am fairly familiar with them. lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)