Young and Restless Production Value Is Way Down

vcr1980

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
I check in on the Young and Restless from time to time and the production value is way down.

In the last episode I watched, they kept everyone in a chair during the scenes. This meant no blocking (no moving around the set). So, they didn't have to do much work on lighting, camerawork, or putting much thought in to a scene.

It was just each person in a chair reading their lines. It was jarring to see.

The Young And The Restless used to always have people moving around a lot in a scene for dramatic affect and to really show tension between characters. No longer.

In another scene, they did let the actors stand but they stayed standing in one spot and did not move the entire scene. Wow!

I've notice the quality of the acting is way down. Sometimes I notice people merely reading lines from something off screen.

Does anyone else notice signs of the showing failing? Do you think it will be canceled soon?

I check in on the Young and Restless from time to time and the production value is way down.

In the last episode I watched, they kept everyone in a chair during the scenes. This meant no blocking (no moving around the set). So, they didn't have to do much work on lighting, camerawork, or putting much thought in to a scene.

It was just each person in a chair reading their lines. It was jarring to see.

The Young And The Restless used to always have people moving around a lot in a scene for dramatic affect and to really show tension between characters. No longer.

In another scene, they did let the actors stand but they stayed standing in one spot and did not move the entire scene. Wow!

I've notice the quality of the acting is way down. Sometimes I notice people merely reading lines from something off screen.

Does anyone else notice signs of the showing failing? Do you think it will be canceled soon?

CBS has already renewed Y&R through the 2023-24 season, so I doubt it will be canceled any time soon. Keep in mind many shows are still operating under fairly strict COVID-19 protocols that limit character interactions. The show is pulling a pretty consistent ~3 million daily viewers and still leads the ratings over Bold & Beautiful, General Hospital, and Days of Our Lives.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Oh! That explains it! Good point!

As much as YR is losing ratings, they are still higher overall than the other soaps.

Thanks for the insight!

Y&R did have a couple of fairly intimate scenes recently despite COVID restrictions, but that was a matter of good timing in one instance. The regular "Chase" actor went on COVID isolation for a couple of weeks just as the story line was approaching the "Abby and Chase" wedding segments. The actor they hired to temporarily fill the "Chase" role was "Abby's" conveniently available off-screen real life actor-husband. Another segment had a steamy kiss between "Adam" and "Sharon", who are also an off-screen couple...