Your favorite Ski/Snowboard location

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
I'm a big snowboarder and every season I take a week out to go somewhere. So far I've been to Breckenridge 4 times and I was wondering what other places you guys recommend.

I have wanted to go to snowbird but the rates to stay at the hotels there are double what it is in Breckenridge. I just had a friend get back from Heavenly in Tahoe so I was maybe thinking about that.

The great thing about Breck is that it isn't very expensive, the mountains are awesome, and it has a great night life for me and my friends (were all 22-24).

I know its early but i wanted to start looking for a place to go next winter, but i wanted to know where you all would recommend!

Heavenly is a wonderful place, but quite expensive. If you have the dough, there is a lot to do for 22-24 year olds. The nightlife can keep you very busy.

Snowmass is an amazing mountain for skiing. I remember skiing for something like a half-hour between getting on lifts.

The steeps of Telluride are also amazing; groomed trails that are as steep as can be, with amazing views of the San Juans.

Then there are the back bowls of Vail. Nothing like it on a good snow day.

I have never been, but have heard that Whistler is one heck of a mountain. But you'll need a passport for that. :)

Yea I would really like to go to Whistler some day but unfortunately I know my buddies wont wanna spend that kind of money.

My favorite areas are as follows:

1. Whistler / Blackcomb
2. Deer Valley
3. Kirkwood, CA
4. Vail, CO
5. Keystone, CO
6. The Canyons
7. A little place called Homewood in Tahoe
8. Squaw Valley
9. Heavenly
10. Mt. Bachelor

:)

Big sky for me, love the peak. Lots of snow too. If you choose this, may want to by the sky card or cosco lift tickets to save money.

Ive never even heard of Big Sky before. I see that it is in Montana though. What do you guys like about it so much?

The lines are so short and there is so much variety. There is a tram so you can ski the peak, chutes, etc. So many acres and so not too many people. This year and last it received a lot of snow. I skied 1 week in january and had 3 days of 10+ inches each time and a 4th with 6 inches. I ski and snowboard and never get tired there. Tickets are 75 though unless you can plan ahead and get a frequency card or costco tickets before they sell out during the season. And there is a new resort located on the other half of the mountain, moonlight. Never skied that but I have heard some good things. A little cheaper over there. It does not have the nightlife of other resorts though but does have yellowstone an hour away if you want to check it out one day.

The lines are so short and there is so much variety. There is a tram so you can ski the peak, chutes, etc. So many acres and so not too many people. This year and last it received a lot of snow. I skied 1 week in january and had 3 days of 10+ inches each time and a 4th with 6 inches. I ski and snowboard and never get tired there. Tickets are 75 though unless you can plan ahead and get a frequency card or costco tickets before they sell out during the season. And there is a new resort located on the other half of the mountain, moonlight. Never skied that but I have heard some good things. A little cheaper over there. It does not have the nightlife of other resorts though but does have yellowstone an hour away if you want to check it out one day.

Agreed.

Big Sky is renowned for it's very short to non-existant lift lines (except on President's Day weekend). This year has been great for snow, and two winters ago it received the most snow in 10 years (510+ inches for the season). Combine your riding experience with Moonlight Basin and you can ride over 5500 acres on one ticket. Granted, that ticket is over $85/day, but it's a lot of riding. Purchase the Frequent Sky Card in advance for $45 from certain outlets and your daily ticket price for Big Sky only is $55/day.

Me.... I've spent a couple seasons on the hill (and was a Tram operator last winter), so I still have connections for my free and half-price tickets. ;D The powder is usually like fluffy whipped cream: very light, very smooth, and loads of fun. I've skied in Utah for a week in the past and never had the low-density powder we get up here. And Pils, there's plenty of night-life, especially if you know where the locals go on a regular basis! :D I might compare Big Sky to Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee, but not many resorts can match the terrain and snow quality of my local hill.

Here's one of my best shots of Big Sky and Lone Peak for ya:

Where would you guys recommend staying there. I would like to have a kitchen in the room. Also how far is Big Sky from the airport?

Not sure the best place to stay but it is about 50 minutes from the Bozeman airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)