YouTube App Debuts on Hopper 3

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
DISH Continues to Blur Traditional Pay-TV Boundaries; YouTube App Debuts on Hopper 3 DVR

• Only nationwide pay-TV provider in the U.S. to deliver YouTube on a set-top box
  • Popular video streaming service joins other Hopper apps including Netflix, Pandora, Vevo
  • Available now on all Hopper 3 set-top boxes
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The YouTube app today debuts on DISH's Hopper 3 DVR, bringing viral videos and original content from creators across the globe to the TV screen via set-top box. DISH customers can now access their favorite TV shows and the Internet's most popular videos without changing inputs or devices.

This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161021005504/en/

PR_Image_1.2.jpg

YouTube now available on DISH's Hopper 3 (Photo: Business Wire)

The YouTube app was included in DISH's latest software update pushed to Hopper 3 set-top boxes last night. With this update, DISH becomes the only nationwide pay-TV provider in the U.S. to deliver YouTube via set-top box. YouTube joins several Hopper apps that together bring a range of entertainment options to customers, including Netflix, Pandora, Vevo and The Weather Channel.

"We designed Hopper 3 to be much more than a conventional set-top box," said Niraj Desai, DISH vice president of product management. "By aggregating apps like YouTube and Netflix with live linear television, Hopper 3 is capable of serving as a household's comprehensive entertainment hub."

Users watch hundreds of millions of hours on YouTube every day, generating billions of views. DISH customers can now search, browse and play videos, as well as log into their YouTube and YouTube Red accounts, directly on a Hopper 3.

The YouTube app on Hopper 3 can be accessed from channel 371 or by selecting the "Apps" button on the remote control. Customers can also use the YouTube app on mobile devices to cast videos directly to their Hopper 3.

About DISH

DISH Network Corp. (NASDAQ:DISH), through its subsidiaries, provides approximately 13.593 million pay-TV subscribers, as of June 30, 2016, with the highest-quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value. DISH offers a high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

Subscribe to DISH email alerts: http://about.dish.com/alerts
Follow @DISHNews on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DISHNews

CT

View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161021005504/en/

DISH Network Corp.
Chelsea Satkowiak, 720-514-6214
chelsea.satkowiak@dish.com
@DISHNews

Source: DISH Network Corp.

DISH Continues to Blur Traditional Pay-TV Boundaries; YouTube App Debuts on Hopper 3 DVR

• Only nationwide pay-TV provider in the U.S. to deliver YouTube on a set-top box
  • Popular video streaming service joins other Hopper apps including Netflix, Pandora, Vevo
  • Available now on all Hopper 3 set-top boxes
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The YouTube app today debuts on DISH's Hopper 3 DVR, bringing viral videos and original content from creators across the globe to the TV screen via set-top box. DISH customers can now access their favorite TV shows and the Internet's most popular videos without changing inputs or devices.

This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161021005504/en/

PR_Image_1.2.jpg

YouTube now available on DISH's Hopper 3 (Photo: Business Wire)

The YouTube app was included in DISH's latest software update pushed to Hopper 3 set-top boxes last night. With this update, DISH becomes the only nationwide pay-TV provider in the U.S. to deliver YouTube via set-top box. YouTube joins several Hopper apps that together bring a range of entertainment options to customers, including Netflix, Pandora, Vevo and The Weather Channel.

"We designed Hopper 3 to be much more than a conventional set-top box," said Niraj Desai, DISH vice president of product management. "By aggregating apps like YouTube and Netflix with live linear television, Hopper 3 is capable of serving as a household's comprehensive entertainment hub."

Users watch hundreds of millions of hours on YouTube every day, generating billions of views. DISH customers can now search, browse and play videos, as well as log into their YouTube and YouTube Red accounts, directly on a Hopper 3.

The YouTube app on Hopper 3 can be accessed from channel 371 or by selecting the "Apps" button on the remote control. Customers can also use the YouTube app on mobile devices to cast videos directly to their Hopper 3.

About DISH

DISH Network Corp. (NASDAQ:DISH), through its subsidiaries, provides approximately 13.593 million pay-TV subscribers, as of June 30, 2016, with the highest-quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value. DISH offers a high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

Subscribe to DISH email alerts: http://about.dish.com/alerts
Follow @DISHNews on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DISHNews

CT

View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161021005504/en/

DISH Network Corp.
Chelsea Satkowiak, 720-514-6214
chelsea.satkowiak@dish.com
@DISHNews

Source: DISH Network Corp.
I am not seeing it on my Hopper 3 HD DVR

Working just fine on mine. Really wish we could use a Bluetooth keyboard for control though.

Knew something was going on late last night when I couldn't access the Joey, had to wait for H3 to get the software going & reset. Only time I have any issues is when software tries to update in background.

1. Can it play YouTube HD streams? (The now defunct DirecTV implementation was only 480p).
2. Does it support trick play?
3. Can you pair it to the YouTube mobile app and do your search/browsing on the mobile device, then "cast" the video to this YouTube app? Works great on xbox.
4. Does the search find and playback the exact same video library as if you were on www.youtube.com? The now defunct DirecTV implementation returned a castrated selection of videos.

Working just fine on mine. Really wish we could use a Bluetooth keyboard for control though.

Knew something was going on late last night when I couldn't access the Joey, had to wait for H3 to get the software going & reset. Only time I have any issues is when software tries to update in background.[/QUOTEDid the software update slow down your Internet Speed

1. Can it play YouTube HD streams? (The now defunct DirecTV implementation was only 480p).

Yes, it will play HD and even 4K videos, though the 4K only play as HD (the H3 hardware doesn't support the YouTube method of encoding 4K)

2. Does it support trick play?

Yes, kinda. The trick play buttons on the remote operate the YouTube app's versions of FF/REW, though they are not as smooth as you are used to seeing while watching Dish Programming. They are consistent with the FF/REW operation in other YouTube app platforms, though, like the Roku, PS4, etc.

3. Can you pair it to the YouTube mobile app and do your search/browsing on the mobile device, then "cast" the video to this YouTube app? Works great on xbox.

EDIT...apparently it does...see next post.

4. Does the search find and playback the exact same video library as if you were on www.youtube.com? The now defunct DirecTV implementation returned a castrated selection of videos.

So far it seems to be pretty much the same results. I haven't done a search yet that seemed like anything was missing.

Last edited:
Yes, it will play HD and even 4K videos, though the 4K only play as HD (the H3 hardware doesn't support the YouTube method of encoding 4K)

Yes, kinda. The trick play buttons on the remote operate the YouTube app's versions of FF/REW, though they are not as smooth as you are used to seeing while watching Dish Programming. They are consistent with the FF/REW operation in other YouTube app platforms, though, like the Roku, PS4, etc.

EDIT...apparently it does...see next post.

So far it seems to be pretty much the same results. I haven't done a search yet that seemed like anything was missing.

Cool thanks for the reply. For some reason this thread doesn't update on Tapatalk. Anyway it sounds MUCH better than what DirecTV ever came out with. Then again the whole H3 platform seems much more robust.

Knew something was going on late last night when I couldn't access the Joey, had to wait for H3 to get the software going & reset. Only time I have any issues is when software tries to update in background.
I still do not have it on my Hopper 3. The Dish Customer Service said to unplug the Hopper, which did not work.

I still do not have it on my Hopper 3. The Dish Customer Service said to unplug the Hopper, which did not work.

Make sure your Hopper 3 and all the attached Joey's are turned off (standby mode) and no timers are set to fire for at least several hours. Then reboot the H3 and leave it turned off and in a little while the download should start.

After seeing about the YouTube App here, a few minutes later not necessarily deliberately, I found it on my Hopper 3. YouTube is refreshing. I love it. This is a reason this piece of equipment shines in my opinion and is one of my current life's pleasures. Great addition by Dish. I haven't had many other amusements. No money. I have been experiencing a lot of peace and quiet at my house. My girlfriend has been gone a lot. This girlfriend change situation freed me up to make a small change to the configuration of my hopper set up. It was really easy. I now have two Joey 4Ks in the den connected to two monitors spread apart so I am able to watch two programs at a time outside of where the main Hopper 3 is located since there is no PIP. I think this solution is better than PIP. This system is powerful and compact. Ha Ha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)