YouTube now on Hopper Duo?

crodrules

The Happy Pessimist
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I noticed something unusual in the junk mail that was in my mailbox today.
0519201441-00.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that the receiver pictured there is a Hopper Duo, not a Hopper 3. (The "Hopper Smart HD DVR" is also consistent with the way Dish markets the Hopper Duo.) It also seems to be stating that YouTube is a newly-added feature, pointing out "App Now Included On Your Hopper" below the YouTube logo. In the fine print of the ad, there is also a note that all prices include a Hopper Duo, and that a Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, or Hopper 3 would cost $5 more per month.

However, I can tell you that on my Hopper Duo, with the brand-new software version U638 that came out last week, I still do not have the YouTube app. :oldfrown

So, did this retailer jump the gun, announcing something that is not quite ready yet? Or is this ad just completely wrong?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
If it's real, this is just what I was waiting for to let go of my 722 and go to the Duo.

Reactions: HipKat

crodrules

The Happy Pessimist
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
If it's real, this is just what I was waiting for to let go of my 722 and go to the Duo.
I can't tell if you are being serious. However, based on your past posts, I will assume that you were being sarcastic. :p

In any event, I know for sure that Dish was working on adding YouTube to the Hopper Duo two years ago, before those plans got scrapped. So, if this is finally about to happen, it is about darn time! :victorious

Reactions: TheKrell

crodrules

The Happy Pessimist
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I think a retailer just made a mistake. That's not an official Dish Network advertisement.
It is still something for Dish's marketing team to look into, though. Customers will still hold Dish accountable for false advertising, even if the ad was put out by a retailer, rather than directly by Dish. So, Dish needs to reign in what the retailers are putting out there in the public eye. A little advertising supervision on Dish's part would be nice.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
The average potential customer, has no idea what is pictured.

crodrules

The Happy Pessimist
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
The average potential customer, has no idea what is pictured.
Even without knowing that, the ad is vague enough to imply that YouTube is included on every Hopper. After all, every Hopper is a "Smart HD DVR." The text says "App Now Included On Your Hopper" without specifying to which model of Hopper it is referring. This claim would be just as false if the customer ended up with a Hopper 1. (Unless things have changed since the last time I checked the Hopper 1's features. I am pretty sure that the Hopper 1 does not even have Netflix, though.)

crodrules

The Happy Pessimist
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Update: my Hopper Duo just updated to U647 this morning, and I still do not have the YouTube app. The dealer is still running the same ad that comes in the weekly junk mail.