YouTube now on Hopper Duo?

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I noticed something unusual in the junk mail that was in my mailbox today.
0519201441-00.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that the receiver pictured there is a Hopper Duo, not a Hopper 3. (The "Hopper Smart HD DVR" is also consistent with the way Dish markets the Hopper Duo.) It also seems to be stating that YouTube is a newly-added feature, pointing out "App Now Included On Your Hopper" below the YouTube logo. In the fine print of the ad, there is also a note that all prices include a Hopper Duo, and that a Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, or Hopper 3 would cost $5 more per month.

However, I can tell you that on my Hopper Duo, with the brand-new software version U638 that came out last week, I still do not have the YouTube app. :oldfrown

So, did this retailer jump the gun, announcing something that is not quite ready yet? Or is this ad just completely wrong?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
If it's real, this is just what I was waiting for to let go of my 722 and go to the Duo.

Reactions: HipKat
If it's real, this is just what I was waiting for to let go of my 722 and go to the Duo.
I can't tell if you are being serious. However, based on your past posts, I will assume that you were being sarcastic. :p

In any event, I know for sure that Dish was working on adding YouTube to the Hopper Duo two years ago, before those plans got scrapped. So, if this is finally about to happen, it is about darn time! :victorious

I think a retailer just made a mistake. That's not an official Dish Network advertisement.
It is still something for Dish's marketing team to look into, though. Customers will still hold Dish accountable for false advertising, even if the ad was put out by a retailer, rather than directly by Dish. So, Dish needs to reign in what the retailers are putting out there in the public eye. A little advertising supervision on Dish's part would be nice.

The average potential customer, has no idea what is pictured.

The average potential customer, has no idea what is pictured.
Even without knowing that, the ad is vague enough to imply that YouTube is included on every Hopper. After all, every Hopper is a "Smart HD DVR." The text says "App Now Included On Your Hopper" without specifying to which model of Hopper it is referring. This claim would be just as false if the customer ended up with a Hopper 1. (Unless things have changed since the last time I checked the Hopper 1's features. I am pretty sure that the Hopper 1 does not even have Netflix, though.)

Update: my Hopper Duo just updated to U647 this morning, and I still do not have the YouTube app. The dealer is still running the same ad that comes in the weekly junk mail.

Major new software update today (judging by the huge jump in version number) U990 for Hopper Duo. Still no YouTube, though. And, GoDish is still running that weekly junk mail ad, picturing a Hopper Duo next to the blurb "YouTube App Now Included On Your Hopper."

• Sad
Major new software update today (judging by the huge jump in version number) U990 for Hopper Duo. Still no YouTube, though. And, GoDish is still running that weekly junk mail ad, picturing a Hopper Duo next to the blurb "YouTube App Now Included On Your Hopper."
Although the Hopper Duo carries the Hopper name maybe DISH considers it a 722 which it replaced....

Although the Hopper Duo carries the Hopper name maybe DISH considers it a 722 which it replaced....
Yes, technically the Hopper Duo is a XiP722. However, all of the advertised pricing includes a Hopper Duo. To get any other Hopper (including ones that actually include the YouTube app) would cost an extra $5 per month, as disclosed in the fine print. The availability of the YouTube app is being prominently displayed right next to the picture of the Hopper Duo, without mentioning the extra cost in that section. There is not even an asterisk to make you look somewhere else to find out how to get the YouTube app included. So, it is still misleading.

• Angry
This is typical of some DISH advertising through the years. (I realize the example in this thread may not be directly from DISH) They take great liberties, of course not the only company to do so. When VOD first became available in HD it was a big push as a reason to get DISH. One Channel at the time. Not available even on every HD receiver at the time. Even if your receiver could do it, it had to recognize your TV was HD and the receiver often could not determine that it was even though it was an HD TV. If you didn't ask you wouldn't know any of this, and even then the CSR knowing is a crap shoot.

How many times DISH (not an advertiser or associate company) but DISH themselves said a receiver has this or that feature to find it actually does not yet. It is supposed to but it's not there or not working yet.

We knew because of Scott/Satelliteguys but others have to fend for themselves. Again not unlike with some other companies of all types.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm curious about what is needed to install a hopper duo smart dvr. Does it need the hybrid lnb? Does it need a switch like the hopper 3 uses so it can send signal to a joey in the other room? Any body got details ?

I'm curious about what is needed to install a hopper duo smart dvr. Does it need the hybrid lnb? Does it need a switch like the hopper 3 uses so it can send signal to a joey in the other room? Any body got details ?
Hopper Duo does not need a hybrid LNB, although it will work with one. A DPP LNB or switch is fine. Hopper Duo does use a hybrid hub to connect with the Joey.

Oh and can you diplex your coaxs so you can get both sat and ota on the same cable? We used to do that on a 722k we had.
I am not sure about that. I seem to remember reading that diplexing OTA with the Hopper MOCA frequencies is a no-no, but someone else will have to either confirm or correct that.

This is typical of some DISH advertising through the years. (I realize the example in this thread may not be directly from DISH) They take great liberties, of course not the only company to do so. When VOD first became available in HD it was a big push as a reason to get DISH. One Channel at the time. Not available even on every HD receiver at the time. Even if your receiver could do it, it had to recognize your TV was HD and the receiver often could not determine that it was even though it was an HD TV. If you didn't ask you wouldn't know any of this, and even then the CSR knowing is a crap shoot.

How many times DISH (not an advertiser or associate company) but DISH themselves said a receiver has this or that feature to find it actually does not yet. It is supposed to but it's not there or not working yet.

We knew because of Scott/Satelliteguys but others have to fend for themselves. Again not unlike with some other companies of all types.
Well hopefully the purpose of this forum is to help make Dish (or at least the Dish customer experience) as great as possible. So, I make it my mission to continue to point out false advertising like this, until it gets corrected. One example is the misleading Multi-Sport ad that used to appear in the Game Finder app, continuing to include the missing RSN's in the channel count for that package. I am sure that I must have annoyed many people at Dish, continuing to post about that month after month. However, that ad did eventually get removed, and neither that particular ad nor any other ad have returned to the Game Finder app since then. :)

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)