Yuck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Took apart an old VCRS module from a cband IRD out of boredom. WTF happened to the battery? Anyone ever seen one do this?
s427hh.jpg

Yup, my 920 had its VCRS module battery explode and leak acid onto the main board. It ate some capacitors off my main board and ate some of the traces on the main board too. Literally blew one of the ends off the battery! So now I'm in the process of buying a dead (well, ID lost due to dead main board battery) 920 for parts to solder mine back into shape.
Everyone should use these accidents as reminders to remove those VCRS modules from your 4dtv boxes before they kill it.

That does it... That scared me enough. I'm pulling my VC2 board out tonight. I don't need to have an outdated board take out my good 922 receiver. For how few times Espn or Weather go into fixed key, it isn't worth the risk to me.

These batteries are easy to replace without losing the id, if they haven't already exploded. Just jump another battery over the top of it with gator clips. Then, solder in a replacement, then cut the old battery off real close to the body of the battery. If you go slow and easy, everything will be fine. It's just due to internal heat. You could even extend the wires, and glue the battery outside the module. Don't remove the battery first, solder a new one in BEFOREHAND. It does take about 30 seconds of battery removal before the id wipes, but don't trust that time period. I haven't fix one in years, but you used to be able to get replacement batteries from Radio Shack.

forewarned is forearmed

Also: don't leave batteries in your good flashlight.
They puff up and won't come out.

Well, I guess in a flash light, you know it's a wear item.
But still...

And, there's a coin cell in all computers.
Most have it in a socket, but some have 'em soldered in.
I think soldered is more common in laptops.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)