Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - You Must Buy This Game

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
I haven't been playing my Wii lately because nothing has caught my interest......until now.

Zack & Wiki is an adventure puzzle game.

Synopsis:
In this game, you are in control of a cute little pirate named Zack who's out to solve puzzles and discover the legendary treasure that was hidden away on Treasure Island by the great pirate Barbaros. Played with the Wii Remote like a classic adventure game, gamers point and click at objects they would like to use as they try to solve puzzles and get further into the game. Once you figure out what you need to use to solve a puzzle, you also need to discover how to use it, which is often by a series of natural motions and button presses with the controller. Puzzles start off simple but promise to get tougher as the game progresses. If you're having trouble, you can consult a friend for hints. The goal is to clear the stages without getting any hints. Prior to the start of a stage, the game shares with you the percentage of testers who were able to clear the stage on their own, so you can get a feel for the difficulty.

Reviews:

IGN 9/10
With most Wii games thus far it’s as simple as adding waggle or putting IR into an otherwise cookie cutter design – most first party Nintendo games are even guilty of this. With Z-Dub, though, it goes beyond that, as the game asks the user to perform actions that simply can’t be done without the Wii remote. This is the type of engaging, innovative interaction we all imagined when seeing the controller for the first time, and it’s exciting to see a developer that really gets what the system is all about. Even more than Mario Galaxy, Zelda, or Wii Sports, Zack & Wiki delivers an experience that you can only find on Wii.

GameSpot 8.5/10
All told, Zack & Wiki is a winner. It might not win you over with its characters or story, but it will with its wonderfully crafted puzzles and sharp control mechanics. It's just the sort of game Wii owners have been pining for, the sort of game that blends accessibility and challenge into one seamless whole, and does it without devolving into yet another minigame collection. And best of all? This game is retailing for only $40. If you own a Wii, Zack & Wiki belongs in your collection.

Nintendo Power 9/10
- Combines clever use of the Wii remote and positively brilliant puzzle design
- Variety is astounding
- Piecing it all together comes with a great sense of satisfaction
- You will be scratching your head with some regularity, the puzzles are never so esoteric to leave you feeling cheated
- Charm to burn; with an energetic sense of humor and an appealing visual style reminiscent of Wind Waker.
- One of the Wii's best-looking titles; not for technical merit but because of the care that went into creating a very complete aesthetic.
- Animation is especially fantastic
- 20+ hours; adventure is plenty long - never, ever drags
- Tons of extra stuff to do.
- Concern about name of game; may not do well at retail because of it.
- Truly deserves to be a big hit
- One of the system's most creative, entertaining titles.

Attachments

• zack-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure-20070919062952324.jpg
    zack-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure-20070919062952324.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 134
  • zack-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure-20070919062955668.jpg
    zack-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure-20070919062955668.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 124
  • zack-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure-20071022041814251.jpg
    zack-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure-20071022041814251.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 128
  • zack-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure-20071018102511393.jpg
    zack-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure-20071018102511393.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 156
Sounds interesting and the screens look pretty nice for a Wii game.

There's actually a pretty good number of Wii games coming out that I'm interested in. There's this game and then I just ordered Rockstar Presents: Table Tennis, then there's Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Puzzle Quest, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Super Mario Galaxy.

For me and my tastes at least, the drought seems to have ended.

:eek: Even the Wii hating 1up.com loved Z&W.

1up - 9.0

Thankfully, Zack & Wiki is far more than the sum of its pieces, and it absolutely succeeds despite any minor problems. It's a huge world of wonderful puzzles to solve, with creative approaches to even the most mundane solutions; it's also a big game, and it goes on far longer than even the story would imply (though some people may never beat the last couple stages without assistance). Its biggest hurdle will be finding its audience, as it's the kind of game you don't know you're dying for until you play it (and its youthful aesthetic doesn't do it any favors). But it's worth looking into for every Wii owner, and if it isn't the best game for the system, it's at least the most "must-play" Wii experience next to Wii Sports. It's unmatched as a cognitively and creatively challenging experience, and just about anyone can pick it up and enjoy and appreciate it for what it does...even if they won't get very far.

Picked it up this morning. I've only played about 4 levels but so far it's good. It's very much a game from Japan, so if cutesy Japanese music and art aren't your thing, then you might not care for it. The graphics quality is what you would expect from a good Wii game. Overall, it's probably one of the better looking Wii games that I've seen. Game-play wise, it's everything the reviews have said. It makes great use of the Wii remote. The last Wii game that I played that made me use the remote in this many different ways was Warioware. It's so polished that it actually feels almost like a first party Nintendo game. Capcom has really outdone themselves on this one. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come from future third party titles.

Bumping an old thread.

This game is outstanding. Everything a Wii game should be. It makes a nice Christmas gift for $39.99.

i found some of the controls a bit touchy and irritating.. but then again, thats my issue with alot of the wii titles... overall its a great concept and i did enjoy playing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)