Zap!!! Directv Over Powerlines

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Whats not to like? The frequencies are notched, so there is no interference with the Ham radios. Speeds for customers are usually between 8 - 12 Mpbs symetric (thats right, uploads of 12 Mpbs).

When I hear that "BPL is awful" I think of other outdated claims such as Plasmas burn in a year later or there is nothing to watch in HD.

I really hope this happens. I know many places have been experimenting but it will good to see someone outside of a Utility company pushing this. They are not exactly the model of free trade capitalism.

Hope it fails. They're trying BPL in our area and when it's on, it knocks out our internet and radios. The local law enforcement agency is also against it as it messes up their radios.

Knocks out your Internet??? Isn't this an internet connection??

I'm sure the FCC is going to make sure it doesn't interfear with other communications.

Knocks out your Internet??? Isn't this an internet connection??

I'm sure the FCC is going to make sure it doesn't interfear with other communications.

Depends how much money the BPL people put in the FCC's pocket to look the other way. I have heard about the notching also heard it doesnt work, I support the ARRL who is fighting this mess and I hope it fails. I'm for prety much all new technologies but BPL puts way too much hash out.

I will beleive it, when I see it. I hear about internet over power lines years ago. If it was easy or ready to be done, why would not the local power companies offer it.

Broadband over Power Lines is a very sticky subject in the US now between FCC, Ham Operators and the power companies..problem is the frequencies they propose to use creates interference on various emergency radio freqs. rendering them nearly useless. I would also assume that if I am transmitting near a power line carrying BPL that my legal 1500 watts would aslo stop someones download or whatever so they need to work on it a good bit more before it really becomes feasible.

Bill

BPL....Say it aint so...what a horrible system.
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail"?...or is that quote form one of the "Flying Circus sketches?..Can't remember..Or was it Mel Brook's History of the World Part One?

I'm sure the FCC is going to make sure it doesn't interfere with other communications.

HA! The FCC is being sued by the American Radio Relay League because they are not following the Communications Act of 1934.

Even if the systems were notched to reduce interference to ham radio, what would a short wave listener do to hear foreign broadcasts that are between ham bands?

So far, BPL has been used mostly to attract venture capitalist money from uninformed investors.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail"?...or is that quote form one of the "Flying Circus sketches?..Can't remember..Or was it Mel Brook's History of the World Part One?

I took it from the sketches...I recently bought the 16 ton mega set (all the shows) and after about 100 hours of Python thats all my addled brain could manage..LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)